Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Plymouth Fury Convertible

Well, I think I've finally gotten the new shop set up enough to get started on a new project.

This one will be a '62 Plymouth convertible.

I'm going to dive into this one with some fairly extensive trim modifications.

After doing some research I found that a great many of the Furys from this year had added body trim & 6 tail lights so that's what I'm going to try.

First of all, it will be built with the up top so the boot snap trim needs to be added as well as some top mods to get the top to fit right, much like the '62 Chrysler that I built recently.

Next, there will be fender spears added to the tops of both the front & rear fenders as well as the removal of the heavy front fender spear to be replaced with a thinner one.

Then holes will need to be drilled for the positioning of a third tail light on each side.

I will also be doing my usual modifications in the engine bay area by removing the screw posts & adding a few more details to the fender edges, radiator brace & firewall.

I have yet to decide what engine I will use & what color it will be.

It's good to be back in the saddle! ;)

Steve

DSCN6114DSCN6116DSCN612170719_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

After watching your "62 Chrysler build I'm looking forward to this. While this body style didn't appeal to me at the time I think they look much better now. Did this start life as a Hardtop ? I think the three tail light thing had to do with the trim level at that time. The higher up and usually if the optional back-up lights were ordered would give you the three lights.  

may I suggest wire wheels & tires from the Moebius Chrysler 1956?

Not sure what wheels I will use at the moment Al, but I'm thinking either stock caps or possibly even some after market wheels like Torque Thrusts or Cragars.

I guess I'll have plenty of time to decide.

Steve

After watching your "62 Chrysler build I'm looking forward to this. While this body style didn't appeal to me at the time I think they look much better now. Did this start life as a Hardtop ? I think the three tail light thing had to do with the trim level at that time. The higher up and usually if the optional back-up lights were ordered would give you the three lights.  

My original thought was that this particular trim configuration was a "Sport Fury" package.

But I've seen so many different trim arrangements on the '62 Plymouths that it's hard to really glean any real standards or packages.

Some have the wide band on the front fender along with the spears on the tops of the fenders, some have the spears just on the rear fender.

Some examples have the "Sport Fury" logo on the front fender, some just the standard "Fury" logo behind the front wheel.

There really seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Steve

mopp_1006_05_o+1962_plymouth_fury+top_vi188764_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

I love where you're going with this Steve.I also am building a 62 but mine is a hardtop.I used a 68-70 charger frame and had to only trim the front and rear length and it's fitting fine.Mine will be a radical street car and I'm a mopar freak.Can't wait to see more and I love the white one.Glad you're getting to build again.

Well guys, I hate to bail on this project so soon but I've decided that it's a little more work than I want to take on as my first build after not doing any modeling for several months.

I've already started losing interest in it & that's not how I want to start out.

I'll come back to it when I'm a little more comfortable with doing this much scratch building.

For the time being, I have a few projects that will require a little less modification to get me back into the swing of things.

I'm leaning towards a couple of nice Bonnevilles that I have.

Most likely either a '66 or '67.

The '67 will be a resto of a built kit so I may start out with a very clean unbuilt MPC '66 Bonneville hardtop that I have.

Or I may tinker with both & see what really grabs me.

Sorry to get anybody excited about this one & then ditching it, but I'll revisit it at a later date.

Steve

Steve, that Plymouth when you are done will be like all your others,fantastic and clean..Have you re-located yet and how do you like your new place?  

Yes Wayne, we're pretty much settled in.

The new place has it's pluses & minuses.

We now have a huge lot, (which is a plus & a minus) with a wooded area in the back, fewer neighbors, plenty of garage space, etc.

The only real minuses are some of the cheapo finishes in the house.

When they built the house, they started with some nice high end amenities like in floor heat in the garage & basement, steel siding, etc, but then they really cheaped out on the finishes like the trim, bathroom fixtures & flooring.

But they are all things that can be changed.

The house has really "good bones" as they say.

We love the location, being on the very edge of a small town & my new shop is nice.

Plus I have the added luxury of a hobby shop within about 25 miles of home!

Something I haven't had in a couple of decades. :)

Steve