Model Cars Magazine Forum

HHR Panel delivery

disconovaman

Hey everyone... been awhile since I started a new project for the forum. This little HHR intrested me due to the fact that just over a year ago... I was gonna buy a real one but when I went to look at it.. it was in poor condition and looked better in pictures.

I credit that HHR to me finally buying my Chevy nova. Because I had the money saved up for the Nova but if I would've bought the HHR then I wouldn't have the Nova. Anyway about the model....This Jimmy Flintstone resin kit was given to me. So now I just need to narrow down a theme. I was thinking that I'd keep it somewhat simple keeping it Curbside but adding interior to it and removing the "piggy bank" style windows. 

So far it hasn't exactly been as simple because the donor kit (the PT Cruiser) is not a direct fit. The wheelbase is different and the interior had to be shortened and narrowed. 

I'd like to add that I did a search on the fourms and I'm officially  the first to post an HHR on the site... there's probably a reason for that. Lol!

I am open for suggestions on theme and styles... I need some help because I've done some google searching and I can't decide which I like best. It's a bit overwhelming with all the options...

Thanks, and I look forward to everyone's input...

20170718_101814.jpg

I always thought the HHR was an interesting vehicle, but only after they started offering the "Van" body and the ones with various side window options. You mentioned that the body does not match up with the HHR kit, makes you wonder what the caster used as a base. I don't remember any Die Cast of the HHR but there may have been. Maybe even a Piggy Bank ??  As far as suggestions go I'm sure you will get many, but you might look at the images on the internet and see what appeals to you. You may have to create your own windshield if the HHR's kit does not fit.  Headlights may have to be hand painted or if the kit has a decal ?? Maybe even a NASCAR kit decal would work. For myself I would keep it asa a Van but more of a personal use rather than commercial. I'll be interested not matter what you do with it.  

You mentioned that the body does not match up with the HHR kit.

You may have to create your own windshield if the HHR's kit does not fit. 

There is no HHR kit. Like the OP said, the suggested donor is a PT Cruiser. That's why he's having to do all the extensive modifications to the interior and chassis.

Anthony, bravo to you for attempting to build one of these. I've owned 2 HHR's, and really enjoyed them. When I saw there was a resin body I was really looking forward to it, but it's going to need a lot of work. I'll be following

I also have the JF HHR resin bodys in my stash.I plan on cutting mine up and building a Bonneville salt flats car.There are some on line showing the necessary body modifications if you dig deep enough.Good luck with yours.

Edited by misterNNL
My Kindle incorrectly corrected my spelling.

I seen a picture on the internet about ten years ago of a Revell 2006 HHR it was a real picture of a red factory HHR. I was excited that revell was gonna kit the model but it never came. I think the picture was photoshopped to look like Revell boxart.  I would think if they did the PT Cruiser then why not the HHR? I'd buy one or two.

I have tried to find unsuccessfully to find the under construction photos of the Southern Cal Speed Shop Bonneville HHR.I was able to locate some specs and images of the finished car by searching under the name Canepa.This car ran over 200 MPH using a turbo charged version of the  2 liter Ecotec engine.

The HHR body is taken from a toy. Road something(can't remember the company name) is the one who made it.

I have all 4 castings (2 Flintstone, 2 RMR). The RMR comes with an under carriage( from the PT Cruiser so some details are incorrect) and separate pieces for the grille, headlamps, instrument panel, mirrors, and rear valence. The windows are molded open but no clear inserts are provided. The Flintstone bodies are molded as one piece with the windows molded solid.(  mirrors are separate and included ) and have the cowl area with wipers where the RMR does not have this ( I suspect the pieces are meant to be taken from the PT Cruiser kit.) The rear valence on both is incorrect- HHRs didn't have dual exhaust outlets. The Flintstone bodies are better as slammers or as customs, the RMRs would be a better start for a stock replica.

In summary, both offerings will take a lot of work to be accurate stock builds

Edited by ZTony8

Thanks guys, the So-cal HHR is impressive. I'd like to see it done with a resin kit. It would be ambitious for sure. I'd be interested in how the RMR model's HHR compares to the Jimmy Flintstone. The JF is pretty soft for resin but it's all molded as one peice. The RMR has seperate parts... grill, headlights, etc... and comes with the chassis. The windows are also thinner and wouldn't require the work to open them as the JF does. Both kits are based on the Road Rippers 1:26 scale sound machines toy.

I've been doin alot of research on it. So now I'm cleaning up the mold lines and gettin the openings smoothed out. As for the tail lights, I've drilled them out and I'll be adding linses to them. Still pondering on color choices and schemes. til then...

Looks interesting, I like the slammed Bonneville racer pics !

Why not use a pro street chassis , if your chassis doesn't fit anyway ?  

Or yellow paint, moon discs and do a MOON company van ?

But please, no 55 rear lights ! !

Either way good luck !

Edited by Lowlife ! !