Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors paint sandy feeling finish

I'm painting the little suitcase that's in the Revell Germany model of the Isetta.  Started with Tamiya fine white primer and then Testors Light Earth spray decanted.

Three tries now (after brake fluid strip) and the Light Earth leaves a "sandy" feeling finish that can be rubbed down to SG. I'm applying VERY light coats because I thought the paint was crazing, but this feels different. The last time I sprayed, I did it without primer and the same thing happened.

I pulled out the sprue that the piece came off of and sprayed it and it was perfectly normal, The Light Earth leaving a perfectly smooth flat finish.

Stumped.

additional info and pics:

Each strip was a soak in brake fluid, then Bleachewhite, then scrub with soap & water. After each strip and cleanup, the surface of the suitcase was perfectly smooth, just like it came off of the sprue.   I sprayed the sprue many ways: light coats, med wet coats, heavy wet coats to the point of running.  Each one was just fine.

The first time I sprayed the suitcase,  I thought the paint would level out and I kept building coats to achieve a wet coat.  It still got grainy like this.

DSCF2928.JPG

DSCF2929.JPG

DSCF2930.JPG

DSCF2931.JPG

DSCF2932.JPG

DSCF2933.JPG

Edited by dlh
more info

You might be holding the spray can too far away, and the paint is drying in mid-air.

It looks like that to me too, like overspray.  It was decanted and sprayed through an airbrush.  It didn't behave that way on the piece of sprue.  The first time I sprayed a wet coat and it still looked grainy as it dried.  I think I'll try your advice, lower pressure and spray closer.

Thanks

Dave

I "burnished" it with a rag and swabs. Looks kinda cool.  The corners get a contrasting color and I'll paint the pseudo straps. I think I may keep it this way. Maybe an accidental "discovery".

DSCF2934.JPG

DSCF2936.JPG

DSCF2937.JPG

DSCF2935.JPG

Edited by dlh

It looks like that to me too, like overspray.  It was decanted and sprayed through an airbrush.  It didn't behave that way on the piece of sprue.  The first time I sprayed a wet coat and it still looked grainy as it dried.  I think I'll try your advice, lower pressure and spray closer.

Thanks

Dave

Uh, IIRC (If I Recall Correctly), Testors light earth is a flat finish paint--entended primarily for military models--as such it would be a very fine "grainy" finish.

Art

Uh, IIRC (If I Recall Correctly), Testors light earth is a flat finish paint--entended primarily for military models--as such it would be a very fine "grainy" finish.

Art

Yes, it is a flat finish.  But the "grains" on the suitcase could be rubbed off.  So I tend to agree with BigTallDad, that I sprayed at too great a distance.  However, I did the same with the sprue and it was a normal flat finish.  Also the suitcase didn't become "grainy" until several coats were applied.  Anywho, I think it's operator error.  I'm satisfied with the final result.  I thought maybe the many soaks in brake fluid and cleanup with Bleach White may have damaged the plastic.  (One mounting post on the inside did crack a little when I stuck a toothpick in it to paint).  Time to declare victory and move on.

Thanks for your reply

(still learning) Dave

Yes, it is a flat finish.  But the "grains" on the suitcase could be rubbed off.  So I tend to agree with BigTallDad, that I sprayed at too great a distance.  However, I did the same with the sprue and it was a normal flat finish.  Also the suitcase didn't become "grainy" until several coats were applied.  Anywho, I think it's operator error.  I'm satisfied with the final result.  I thought maybe the many soaks in brake fluid and cleanup with Bleach White may have damaged the plastic.  (One mounting post on the inside did crack a little when I stuck a toothpick in it to paint).  Time to declare victory and move on.

Thanks for your reply

(still learning) Dave

Thin the stuff out more, use less airpressure, stop down the paint flow a bit, and then move in close to spray.  Also, this is where a semi-gloss clear would come in handy, as real leather isn't dead flat in sheen, unless it's suede.

Art