Model Cars Magazine Forum

MOPAR Body (Chassis) Types A - F

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Bill is exactly right here.  All Imperials through 1966 were derived from the 1957 Imperial; in 1967 the Imperial became a derivative of the existing (1965 onward) C-Body.

But there were still some differences in the 1967/8 Imperial vs. other C-bodies....in the mid 1980's my younger brother bought one of the 400 or so 1968 Imperial convertibles ; he has to find Imperial-specific parts sources for a number of the chassis components as they require replacement. 

The remaning Imperials from 1969 onward were straight C-body derivatives, even sharing much of their exterior sheetmetal with the Chrysler lineup (although retaining a longer wheelbase for 1969-71, and (I think) 1972-73).   In 1976, of course, the Imperial was discontinued (though in reaility it lived on through 1978 badged as the Chrysler New Yorker Brougham).   TIM 

Thanks , Tim ( and Bill as well ) . I'd obviously forgotten that 1966 was the last model year for the D-Body Imperial . 

Those wonderful C-bodies ( I'd love to have a 1974 Monaco 'A38' , 1970-1971 Sport Fury GT (or even an "S-23") , and or a 1969 CHP-spec Polara ) had their share of unique wares ---- how about those Budd disc brakes ? Disc brakes on 1971 Imperials ? ABS on , I believe , 1974 Imperials ? 

The D-body platform is one of the oft-overlooked platforms in the MoPar realm , as everybody thinks that the full-perimetre frames were gone after 1961 , 1962 .

Ever see a 225-powered C-body ? I've only seen them in movies ( namely , The French Connection [1971] , whose garage scenes exhibit a couple of 225-powered 1967-1968 Fury in that NY green / black livery ) .

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Grew up in Detroit in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Lived 3 blocks from the Plymouth Lynch Road Assembly plant and about 8 blocks from the Dodge Main Assembly Plant. All family and most neighbors worked at Chrysler or a supplier of Chrysler. I worked 42 years at the Chrysler Enginering Center, first in Highland Park and then in Auburn Hills in the Race Engine Development Group. I have only owned Chrysler products my whole life.

MOPAR OR NO CAR!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1