Model Cars Magazine Forum

Transporting Models To And From Shows?

I use plastic containers as well, I got the type with flip up handles and the lids are designed so you can stack them. Check your local Walmart for them. I also use microfiber towels to wrap/separate the models.

Yep. Bubble wrap with the small bubbles and then 4 or 5  builds into a plastic container from Wal-Mart.  The containers have handles.  I also bought a rolling shopping cart from Wal-Mart the can carry up to 6 containers and my cooler with lunch and drinks.

I also use the kit boxes with wadded up paper towels to cushion the models.  I usually only bring about 3 or 4 models to shows along with an "emergency repair" ziplock bag containing tweezers, toothpicks, CA glue and a dust brush.  I pack everything in a Keurrig coffee maker box with a secure handle which holds everything securely along with several mirror display bases.

I use the plastic totes and support the model in old soft t-shirts. I don't wrap it, I just use the fabric to hold the model in place from the front, rear and sides. I moved 35 built models this way, from Florida to Idaho in a moving van and had two loose parts. I put 12 or so totes in a moving box. Some totes had two small models in them. It works out great for me.

I also use the kit boxes with wadded up paper towels to cushion the models.  I usually only bring about 3 or 4 models to shows along with an "emergency repair" ziplock bag containing tweezers, toothpicks, CA glue and a dust brush.  I pack everything in a Keurrig coffee maker box with a secure handle which holds everything securely along with several mirror display bases.

I used to being a "repair kit" along, but haven't in many years ever since I started using Devcon 5-Minute Epoxy for all my gluing needs.

With us planning an across country move maybe next year. Ive been thinking about this. I dont do contests but If I did I think this method would still be my choice. The box is light weight , but heavy enough to withstand a little bit of rough handling that comes with packing and unpacking at a show.  Although I have used the upside down  display case method for quick and easy transport before . 

I bought 200 of the heavier cardboard promo boxes to pack them in,,,, and they will be  wrapped in tissue / toilet paper. Then I'll pack maybe a dozen or so in larger brown boxes .  They'll then be stacked in a moving truck for the move. Although  some of my better ones may be in the wife's van ( aka air conditioned )

Having bought hundreds of builtups the past few years and a lot of them came this exact  way. 99% survived the USPS intact and mostly unscathed save for a few loose pieces ( mirrors and door handles mostly )  

If the USPS system cant destroy them I think I'll be fine.

Edited by gtx6970

flying or driving?

driving - I just have a cut down copy paper box  - the large size with the slip on lid with the box cut down to the height of the lid - about 4"high..  I put microfiber towels on the bottom, loosely around the models, and on top of the models under the lid. not wrapped.  Of course it gets special handling so nothing gets put on top..

flying - I usually take only one or two models in a cardboard box that will fit in my carry-on backpack.  I lined the box with foamcore for reinforcement,. pack the models with microfiber towels. It's light weight and has taken quite a bit of abuse without damage to the contents. 

The last couple of shows I attended I would take the single clear plastic show cases turn them upside down put a paper towel on the bottom and place the built model on top of the paper towel and then put the bottom of the show case on top.  Then I just find a box that fit all the upside down show cases so they don't move around.  Works like a charm.

I use the plastic totes with flip down handles also, but mine are filled with pillow stuffing (fiber-fill) which you can purchase from Hobby Lobby. I can tell you I have driven cross country during my move with my models and not a single part came off and they remain perfect. Bubble wrap is sort of a plastic and can stick to painted surfaces if left wrapped up that way too long. I promise you fiber-fill is the ultimate travel and long term storage material you can use to protect your models. Just my opinion. 

• 7 months later...

Minor threadomancy here...I'm preparing a model for a show in July as part of a week-long road trip...what about heat?  Has anyone experienced heat damage to a model in the trunk of a car over time?  I'd hate to get there with nothing to show but a melted plastic blob...

1 hour ago, dbiggied said:

Minor threadomancy here...I'm preparing a model for a show in July as part of a week-long road trip...what about heat?  Has anyone experienced heat damage to a model in the trunk of a car over time?  I'd hate to get there with nothing to show but a melted plastic blob...

I don't know about being in the trunk for a week, especially if you have a dark colored car that will absorb heat rather than reflect it, but most of my collection including some built ups spent close to 5 years in a storage unit and I haven't discovered an damaged ones......yet. 

On a side note though, I do know it is not a good idea to leave a partially built 1/8th scale 79 Trans Am in the back window of your 1:1 79 Firebird in the student parking lot while you are in the school on a sunny day in May. Don't ask me how I know this!!:huh::o:lol:

On 7/21/2017 at 11:17 AM, DumpyDan said:

The last couple of shows I attended I would take the single clear plastic show cases turn them upside down put a paper towel on the bottom and place the built model on top of the paper towel and then put the bottom of the show case on top.  Then I just find a box that fit all the upside down show cases so they don't move around.  Works like a charm.

Ditto!

Steve

13 hours ago, highway said:

I don't know about being in the trunk for a week, especially if you have a dark colored car that will absorb heat rather than reflect it, but most of my collection including some built ups spent close to 5 years in a storage unit and I haven't discovered an damaged ones......yet. 

On a side note though, I do know it is not a good idea to leave a partially built 1/8th scale 79 Trans Am in the back window of your 1:1 79 Firebird in the student parking lot while you are in the school on a sunny day in May. Don't ask me how I know this!!:huh::o:lol:

it's basically going to be a week long road trip with the show at the end, so the model will go into the hotel room at night.  I have been mulling over ideas like packing it in a box with some freezer packs just to keep the temps down in the box, but then I'd worry about condensation.  I'm probably way over thinking it, but North Carolina in the summer tends to about 3 degrees short of He** and I'd be crushed if my first ever show entry was  "droopy" when I got there.