Model Cars Magazine Forum

35 Yr. Old Monogram 69 Camaro Resto/ Upgrade

mustang1989

When I started this project in January I thought I was looking at a 3 month project. What followed was a seven month venture to pump some life into my first ever auto build which dates back 35 years. All in all the old build was in decent shape as I'd managed to keep it encased since first building it at age 13. When I left home at age 19 for the Army I left this build and several others behind where it stayed all this time until I finally picked it up from my parents house and put it in my display case here at home where it's spent the last 5 years. When I started on it 7 months ago there was no engine and the interior was.......well ........you know ...........very "Monogram"  basic. I had alot of work ahead of me which I found out throughout the course of the re-build. I ended up using a total of five other kits to piece some of the missing pieces together (one of which was a newer Revell Camaro release kit to "update" this old dog of a kit with some of the parts that Monogram had failed to put in their kit) , hood and wheels were donations from good friends here on the forums (thanks be to Dee Cee and Paul). Powertrain/ drive train was from the AMT Chevelle SS396 kit. I ended up spending ALOT of time in the interior as well as the engine compartment. All badging is from PE fret for the Revell Camaro kits and the paint is GM paint code 79U--Mystic Teal Metallic, a paint that was used in the late 90's/ early 2000's on GM vehicles (Camaro's / Firebirds being in that line up). I also opted to transform this into an SS which took a little fancy foot work with the grille but I managed to pull it all off okay. I'm pretty happy with the results although the kit (as well as me) had it's limitations.  lol. I'd like to thank everyone who followed along and encouraged me along the way on this trip back in time. 

With that.......here's the shots.

Before:

RSCN0264_zpscpo4bdzp.jpg

DSCN0260_zpshazuk64n.jpg

DSCN0266_zpseumfg8bj.jpg

DSCN0259_zpsq2e6bs9x.jpg

After shots:

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20006_zpsre7cmwzh

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20003_zpsoday8chw

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20008_zpsqhpg7v2w

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20007_zpscqgwxp7q

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20005_zpskxmvojpy

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20004_zpsb1z7axue

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20002_zpshnknyymx

F100%20Money%20Shots_zpscnuvmdoh.jpg

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20009_zpsiwkvwoau

F100%20Money%20Shots%20002_zpscpttffoo.j

001_zpsbjqaj6y1.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks a lot fellas. I really appreciate the very kind comments.

Really sharp and fantastic detailed Camaro Joe!  By the way how is your wife doing friend?

Man thanks for asking Carl. Overall she's doing well. She has her good and bad days. The doctor recently took her off of her seizure medicine so she's really really tired these days. All of this has resulted in a lot of changes around the house but we're just taking it day at a time and thankful that she's alive and well. Again thank you so much for asking.

• 1 year later...

I managed to go to my first model show in three years this past weekend in San Antonio so I finally had a chance to show this lil' guy. Being my first auto build ever at 12 years old it was a good victory.

I managed to bring home a 2nd Place award right behind my '56 Ford F-100 which took 1st Place in the same category. I took a chance as I didn't think a MONOGRAM Camaro would place at all.

Edited by mustang1989

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:02 AM, slusher said:

Congratulation, Joe!!

Thanks Carl.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:25 AM, Tommy124 said:

VERY nice save, Joe! And congrats on the well-deserved price!

Thank you Thomas

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:49 PM, PappyD340 said:

Excellent save Joe and congrats on the hardware, good job!

'Preciate it Larry.

First show in three years. It was good to get to converse and be around fellow modelers.