Model Cars Magazine Forum

My off-road adventure....OMG

NYLIBUD

First of all,I live on Long Island NY,and believe it or not,there aren't that many legal Offroad areas,for guys like me,who like tearing it up in the mud,dirt,and woods,other than the beaches.U need a permit.You can't go on most of the dunes.Theres just too many stupid rules, to four wheeling on the beach.Plus I don't want to pay $150 for some stupid beach permit.Anyway,I own a 2000 Jeep Cherokee.Its in great shape.Simple but heavy duty.Its a great truck..Its lifted about 7 inches,running on 35 inch tires.Anyway,down the road from my house,is a sort of semi locked up old sand and rock quarry.Its someone's property..Ok,so I'm driving past the gate,and right away I notice the gates open.So I say to myself,just go up in the field,and get a little dirty.Now at this point,I was in there,driving around for about 10 mins.I was having a great time.The truck was running great,and taking on anything I threw at it..Then as I was coming up over the hill,I noticed a pick up with its lights on right near the gate.So I drive down to the fence/chain and lock,and there it was,locked...First I couldn't believe it,and was definitely nervous I was gonna get busted for trespassing.Then I started thinking I have to get out of here,I'm thinking,ok,no problem.Except now it was getting dark.Well the only other way out was being blocked by a parked car,and two huge concrete blocks.I thought about just rolling over the car.It was an old Ford Taurus,but quickly changed my mind..Now I figure there's only one way out,and that's to smash the fence,and gate.So I slowly move the Jeeo up to the gate,and start pushing.Ive got a huge bumper in the front.I keep at it for a while,pushing,until finally the fence ripped open,and I was able to get out.Now because I ripped through the fence,there are a few scratches,and a small dent,but hell its a Jeep.I also ripped the passenger side view mirror off.Anyway.I just hit the gas,and take off.I got the Jeep free...But then the next day,I was feeling really guilty,so after thinking about it for awhile,I went to the trailer that was on the property.An old guy with a beer gut,no shirt,and a can of Bud in his hands,answers the door.So then I started explaining to him,that it was me who broke the fence,and asked the guy if I can pay to repair it.To my surprise,the older guy,and his son said no,don't worry about,we fixed it already.Well,these guys turned out to be really cool about the whole thing,including that I was trespassing on their property.Both thanked me for coming back to confess and offer to pay for the fence I broke.So much so,that they said,as long as the gate is open,that I can go off-roading anytime I want.So I took them up on their offer,and drove back down into the guys property.and had a blast.There are some great trails I found,mud,and sand....So now I have a place to go off-roading if I want..I can do a little 4x4ing with the land owners ok.All because I came back to apologize..Dam it was fun.And like I said,besides some of the local beaches near me,where you have to pay for a permit,there's not too many places to go to off-roading.So then we all shook hands afterwards....But there was one bad piece of news,I blew out my front differential,$1000 Bucks later.Probably from pushing on the fence ..Oh well,my buddy and I are working on it.I guess honesty is the best thing...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

If you look closely enough,you can notice in pics 4,and 5,my roof visor is missing.Thats cause I ripped that thing off too trying to escape..But it's an easy fix,and some paint.   "It's a Jeep thing,you wouldn't understand"..

Nice looking rig!! The missing parts are just character marks.?

Thanks Bismarck.My buddy and I did all the work over the last couple of years.Its a great truck.The body has got about 250,000 miles on it,and the engine has about 100K.When I bought it,the motor was bad.It had a bad knock..(Now I'm not really sure how the previous owner wrecked the motor.)The 4.0 straight six engines are bullet proof,as long as u change the oil.But I had another engine,also a 4.0 lined up,and my friend installed it.Now I look back,and say to myself that I shouldve put in a small block Chevy or Ford in it...I paid less than a thousand for the totally stock Cherokee.The body was really clean,with no rust,and great paint..It still has virtually no rust anywhere on the truck,and the paint still looks real good,even after 17 years,as you can see in the pics..I had a 93 XJ,2 door,4 spd.It had a 4/1/2 inch lift on 32 inch tires.It was a great truck too.Only problem was that rockers and floors were pretty rusty.The older models are known for bad rust,especially the floors,as it's a unibody.Too bad I flipped it on it's roof after being cut off by some stupid woman talking on her phone.Luckily I had a roof rack and a spare tire up top.I think if I didn't have the rack,my injuries could've been a lot worse.Besides messing up my back pretty bad,the other problem,was that I had 2 gallons of white paint,that opened,and went all over the inside of the truck,and all over me.When I climbed out of the truck,I looked like Casper the ghost..Ahhhhhh ???

I used to live on L.I., NY. That's where I'm originally from. I left in '92 when I could no longer find a job there any more. I don't miss it one bit any more either. One thing I remember about it. Any kind of activity that's fun isn't allowed there. They're all lawsuit crazy there. I was a member of a club (in the 80's) that raced 1/8 scale nitro RC cars. It was hard to find a parking lot to get permission to use. We did wind up using Nassau Community College.

An outdoor activity I do now is mountain biking. I'm sure there's no place on L.I. that would be any good for that either.

First of all,I live on Long Island NY,and believe it or not,there aren't that many legal Offroad areas,for guys like me,who like tearing it up in the mud,dirt,and woods,other than the beaches.U need a permit.You can't go on most of the dunes.Theres just too many stupid rules, to four wheeling on the beach.Plus I don't want to pay $150 for some stupid beach permit.Anyway,I own a 2000 Jeep Cherokee.Its in great shape.Simple but heavy duty.Its a great truck..Its lifted about 7 inches,running on 35 inch tires.Anyway,down the road from my house,is a sort of semi locked up old sand and rock quarry.Its someone's property..Ok,so I'm driving past the gate,and right away I notice the gates open.So I say to myself,just go up in the field,and get a little dirty.Now at this point,I was in there,driving around for about 10 mins.I was having a great time.The truck was running great,and taking on anything I threw at it..Then as I was coming up over the hill,I noticed a pick up with its lights on right near the gate.So I drive down to the fence/chain and lock,and there it was,locked...First I couldn't believe it,and was definitely nervous I was gonna get busted for trespassing.Then I started thinking I have to get out of here,I'm thinking,ok,no problem.Except now it was getting dark.Well the only other way out was being blocked by a parked car,and two huge concrete blocks.I thought about just rolling over the car.It was an old Ford Taurus,but quickly changed my mind..Now I figure there's only one way out,and that's to smash the fence,and gate.So I slowly move the Jeeo up to the gate,and start pushing.Ive got a huge bumper in the front.I keep at it for a while,pushing,until finally the fence ripped open,and I was able to get out.Now because I ripped through the fence,there are a few scratches,and a small dent,but hell its a Jeep.I also ripped the passenger side view mirror off.Anyway.I just hit the gas,and take off.I got the Jeep free...But then the next day,I was feeling really guilty,so after thinking about it for awhile,I went to the trailer that was on the property.An old guy with a beer gut,no shirt,and a can of Bud in his hands,answers the door.So then I started explaining to him,that it was me who broke the fence,and asked the guy if I can pay to repair it.To my surprise,the older guy,and his son said no,don't worry about,we fixed it already.Well,these guys turned out to be really cool about the whole thing,including that I was trespassing on their property.Both thanked me for coming back to confess and offer to pay for the fence I broke.So much so,that they said,as long as the gate is open,that I can go off-roading anytime I want.So I took them up on their offer,and drove back down into the guys property.and had a blast.There are some great trails I found,mud,and sand....So now I have a place to go off-roading if I want..I can do a little 4x4ing with the land owners ok.All because I came back to apologize..Dam it was fun.And like I said,besides some of the local beaches near me,where you have to pay for a permit,there's not too many places to go to off-roading.So then we all shook hands afterwards....But there was one bad piece of news,I blew out my front differential,$1000 Bucks later.Probably from pushing on the fence ..Oh well,my buddy and I are working on it.I guess honesty is the best thing...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice looking rig. I understand your frustration trying to find an area to do a little off roading. We have a JK that gets to get it's tires dirty from time to time. We have managed to scrape and gouge every skid plate. Even helped get a guy right side up using our wench. I don't know if you have ever considered going to a Jeep Jamboree since there are several in your area. I just checked the Catskill Mountains in Monticello N.Y. Sept. 21 - Sept 23 but there is a waiting list at this time. The Sept. 28 - Sept. 30 Main Mountains in Bethel Main is also waiting list only at this time. You might check the Jeep Jamboree web site to see about getting in next year. You might see if there is any Jeep clubs in you area that may know of any Off Road Parks in a short drive from where you live.