Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 has a few new kits coming!!!

Mr mopar

box art shows an engine.  The snap kit didn't have one? 

Hmm...the link you entered, lead me to one pic of the box top artwork, but see now a description was added, which says...

• Skill 2, paint and cement required
  • Molded in white
  • Vector and Torq-Thrust wheel options
  • Two engine intake setups
  • Country racing parts included
  • All new decal sheet with flags, numbers and lettering
  • Exciting Illustrated packaging

So yer right sir!

Edited by Luc Janssens

a few more

AMT-10651/25 Dirty Donny 1969 Plymouth GTX$26.95TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-10681/25 George Barris Fireball 500 (Commemorative Package)$31.95TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-10691/25 Tom Mongoose McEwen Fantasy Wedge Dragster$31.95

The MPC Datsun pickup is one I am looking foreward to.  The stock version hasn't been out in at least 35 years...I don't see how that correlates to a Dodge Dart, though 

Same box art, same contents and updated decal sheet, they did the same treatment with the Dart a few years ago. Though honestly, if they keep it up and keep putting out the mid-seventies releases like the Pontiac Sprint, Firebird, etc. I'd be a happy camper, man.

Edited by echoxrayniner

Yawn...just a bunch of reissues of reissues..the Gremlin was already out a few years ago as a '75 and '76, '74 might have some minor differences? 

I think their marketing strategy is reissue kits they think would boost sales and revenue, but many of us have these old regurgitated kits that are nothing new and asking crazy prices that newly tooled kits are getting, ridiculous! I get it with the new Camaro, which is a nice kit. But how many times are they going to repackage the same old stuff that many of us do not want, their plan can back fire with loads of these kits sitting in a warehouse, while that wasted cost could be allocated to at least one new tool.I just wish they would invest in new tools or at least modified tools for new versions!

I think their marketing strategy is reissue kits they think would boost sales and revenue, but many of us have these old regurgitated kits that are nothing new and asking crazy prices that newly tooled kits are getting, ridiculous! I get it with the new Camaro, which is a nice kit. But how many times are they going to repackage the same old stuff that many of us do not want, their plan can back fire with loads of these kits sitting in a warehouse, while that wasted cost could be allocated to at least one new tool.I just wish they would invest in new tools or at least modified tools for new versions!

Everyone gripes about reissues that everyone already has. What is important to remember is there are newer younger builders that have never seen any of these kits so we're keeping new builders (something we REALLY need if our hobby is going to survive) so instead of complaining about how many of these you already have, point out the reasons you bought the original for the new guys that haven't seen one yet. Make the hobby sound like it's fun to see these again.

With my recent decision to thoroughly think through every model kit purchase, there isn't any thing on the list that I want or need. I am looking forward to the Fall when the Datsun pickup comes out, not much else has grabbed my eye or screamed "Gotta Have It!"

Everyone gripes about reissues that everyone already has. What is important to remember is there are newer younger builders that have never seen any of these kits so we're keeping new builders (something we REALLY need if our hobby is going to survive) so instead of complaining about how many of these you already have, point out the reasons you bought the original for the new guys that haven't seen one yet. Make the hobby sound like it's fun to see these again.

I don't think a good portion, if not a majority, of the newer younger builders are really interested in most of those. I didn't buy most of them when they were new and reasonably priced, sure not going to now.  

I thought the mold for the original '57 Chevy "Pepper Shaker" kit was supposed to be worn out? Are they redoing the newer kit with the old decals, or ?

I would assume it is the old tool 57, it's been reissued many times since the newer tool one came out.....

I'm actually intrigued to see what the kit ends up being, because the stock number on the prepaint is 1061, but this "new" kit is 1074.  If you go look at the source for these listings 1061 doesn't exist anymore, and when it did it said "Prepaint" on it the way the Tower Hobbies listing does. Also notice the Tower Price is higher than the Round2 Price for the 1074 kit, and Tower has been selling the other glue Camaro kits for less than $30 which have all had the same $32.95 MSRP.

That looks like a definitely different custom possibility.

I actually have all the bits and pieces to build this car. It's on my "someday" list and there would be quite a bit of bodywork to make a reasonable facsimile of it. I'd like to make mine "streetable" with engine detail and all. I don't think the car shown had an engine.............just a mock-up for the auto show circuit.

Looking over that list, I do think I'd be interested in that '75 Datsun pickup. Every time I see one of those, I think of my 1:1 AMX and the fellow that bought it. He didn't want to drive the car to his place as he lived a good distance away. Instead, he had it towed and this was the very truck that towed it with trailer and all!

Mighty tough little truck I gotta say! :D

While I am sure there is a reason why, I find it interesting that the prices of their reissues is more then a lot of the new kits from Revell.

I think those are the "MSRP" and not necessarily what most retailers will price them at. That being said, there is a LHS that seems to follow whatever the manufacturers show as list price and their inventory seems to be the same with little movement. I see kits at their store for $29.95 and can go down the road to Hobby Lobby and see them for $24.95 before the 40% coupon.

I don't think a good portion, if not a majority, of the newer younger builders are really interested in most of those. I didn't buy most of them when they were new and reasonably priced, sure not going to now.  

Maybe not but there's still a good portion of us older "seasoned" builders who didn't have a Datsun pickup or '76 Dart in our stash who are VERY glad to get a second chance at buying one for less than the $100+ a sealed original could command. [Flameout showrod that was a grail of mine for many years but I could never afford]

If someone already has an original one, they may not want to buy another, no, but I also doubt they'd be willing so sell me theirs for the price of a new kit.  I look it it like Doug does, another chance to get something I don't already have at a reasonable price.

I've been at this for a while, and there are a few things Round 2 has released that I'm glad I got a second chance.   Not everyone has a basement packed with several lifetimes worth of kits.   The way some people are talking, Round 2, Revell and all those others should just shut their doors, because there's really o point in them making any more models.   Maybe they can use all that injection moulding equipment for making plastic forks, or something.

That said, those kits are going to be in the $40+ range by the time they hit the shelves here, and that much for a '70s vintage kit of a Gremlin? Sorry, not happening.

I've been at this for a while, and there are a few things Round 2 has released that I'm glad I got a second chance.   Not everyone has a basement packed with several lifetimes worth of kits.   The way some people are talking, Round 2, Revell and all those others should just shut their doors, because there's really o point in them making any more models.   Maybe they can use all that injection moulding equipment for making plastic forks, or something.

That said, those kits are going to be in the $40+ range by the time they hit the shelves here, and that much for a '70s vintage kit of a Gremlin? Sorry, not happening.

Sorry Richard, I won't be buying any plastic forks from them. I already have one. Now if that was a plastic spoon I'd buy a case of them. ;):D