Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 has a few new kits coming!!!

Mr mopar

What would we do if R2 went bust & didnt produce or reproduce anything ??? 

Im happy to see reissues n buy them if i want or pass them by. 57 Chevys are always cool with me, spesh the PS reissue but hey I might be a tad biased lol. As discussed many times, a wagon or 4 door would be great but thats more money than a box & decal set up.

I'll plunk my hard earned down for 2 PS 57's.

I would miss 'em but at the same time, their choice of re-releases seems random at best these days like they're throwing darts at a 1984 brochure. I mean, I'd certainly lament all the AMT and MPC kits that I would really wanna see a rerelease for, like those 1970s MPC annuals and the super good AMT Ertl era of the 90s. Or I think it was the nineties...

What would we do if R2 went bust & didnt produce or reproduce anything ???

I hate to hear of any company going bellyup. Especially a smaller hobbyist owned company like them .

But to be honest, It would have zero effect on me.  Actually I could never buy another kit in my life time and I have enough stashed away to take me to the end  of my days .

The past few years Ive been stocking up my planned retirement builds stash. And to be honest 90% of them have been old annuals not produced in the past 30-40 years . The other 10% has been extremely selective as to subject matter,,,,,irregardless of manufacturer. 

Why don't they just call them reissued reissues?
Or re-re-re-re-re-re-reissues?

That has been a concern for me, too, but Round2 wouldn't reissue the AMC Gremlin kit (albeit in a slightly different guise this go 'round) a third time without knowing it has very good sales potential. Ditto for the '50 Chevy pickup which was reissued in Texaco livery (and with a newly tooled front "push" bumper IIRC) four or five years ago or so, and still holds up extremely well today.

Seeing all of the RC2 era reissued kits reissued again by Round2 no longer surprises me, and I can't honestly say I'm disappointed, either. Eventually the (very) few I'd like to see reissued will be. :)

That has been a concern for me, too, but Round2 wouldn't reissue the AMC Gremlin kit (albeit in a slightly different guise this go 'round) a third time without knowing it has very good sales potential. Ditto for the '50 Chevy pickup which was reissued in Texaco livery (and with a newly tooled front "push" bumper IIRC) four or five years ago or so, and still holds up extremely well today.

Seeing all of the RC2 era reissued kits reissued again by Round2 no longer surprises me, and I can't honestly say I'm disappointed, either. Eventually the (very) few I'd like to see reissued will be. :)

I am neither for or against what Round2 is doing, as I am not really in the demo that they are targeting with them, they are using them to generate cash flow,  and yes, I am sure they will reissue something that I do want but dont want to pay the current going rate for it on the black market, like the Datsun Pickup.

I just question their pricing a little bit.

Edited by martinfan5

MPC's 67 Stingray chassis will fit under that AMT body and interior like a glove. L-R Original 1964 issue, 65-67 annual with working springs, and the Streaker Vette/Night Stalker/Sting Ray issues from 1974-1988. (Just like the 64 minus the stock exhaust system.)

Thanks a lot!  Didn't even think about the MPC C2's as a source. Now I'll keep an eye out for those kits. 

If you REALLY want a nice chassis for a C2 Vette, get a Revell '67. I've picked up several of them cheap over the years, just "for parts."

Personally, though, I actually prefer the beautiful simplicity of the wire-axle AMT original 1-piece chassis in almost all cases. But then I'm mainly into bodywork and paint anyway, not mechanical details.

I hate to hear of any company going bellyup. Especially a smaller hobbyist owned company like them .

But to be honest, It would have zero effect on me.  Actually I could never buy another kit in my life time and I have enough stashed away to take me to the end  of my days .

The past few years Ive been stocking up my planned retirement builds stash. And to be honest 90% of them have been old annuals not produced in the past 30-40 years . The other 10% has been extremely selective as to subject matter,,,,,irregardless of manufacturer. 

Great point Bill, I have been doing the same.

You know, when a company stops listening to its consumers and they continue to produce products with no improvements or better yet, not take advantage of new technology, then maybe they should fold (I too would hate to see this happen but companies control their own fate for the most part). If they do not wish to compete with Revell, Moebius and the Asian manufacturers, they will bury themselves. If however they decide to release kits that were never (re-issued) and if they are sitting on the tools, then I think most of us will continue to buy their kits.

Like I said earlier in this tread, Round 2 has tremendous opportunities for some new kits never produced by modifying existing tools (modified re-issues), keeping costs down because of shared components and provide vehicles never offered; for example: modify their 57 Chrysler for a 57/58 DeSoto. How many of us would pay 30 bucks for that! I am no manufacturing expert, but with the technology today, they could probably duplicate an existing tool without destroying it for a modified one. Geez, give us something new! This is why I applaud Revell for doing just that (although they have more potential for more)!

Edited by BobbyG

I am neither for or against what Round2 is doing, as I am not really in the demo that they are targeting with them, they are using them to generate cash flow,  and yes, I am sure they will reissue something that I do want but dont want to pay the current going rate for it on the black market, like the Datsun Pickup.

I just question their pricing a little bit.

Have they reissued the 75 Datsun or is it still in limbo?