Model Cars Magazine Forum

`66 Suburban question

I'm planning on converting my `66 Suburban into a `60 4X4 and that's going to involve cutting off the front end to install the correct wraparound windshield.  My question is where would you cut?  I'm thinking right down the middle of the front doors.

Any easy tips on lifting and 4WD conversion tips MUCH appreciated too.

Thanks.

001-1961-chevy-suburban-4x4.jpg

Tom,

Not sure how period correct you are trying to be with your model, but if you are just looking to put 4x4 underneath the 'Burban, it might be easiest to swap in the running gear from the recent MPC 84 GMC pickup. I personally haven't tried to do this just yet, but I do know the frame from the '84 fits nicely under the 64-66 Chevy pickups from Revell and looks good to my eye.

Can't speak to the bodywork involved, but as I'm looking to build up my '66 into a four-wheel-drive '66 K10 Suburban, I've been brushing up on factory literature over the past few weeks to see what I need to change frame-wise. C10 pickups and Suburbans have independent front suspension and coils at all four corners; 4WD K10 trucks did not -- leaf springs all around. Be prepared to modify the front crossmember and ditch the triangular locating linkage used on the rear axle of the C10 frame.

Can't speak to the bodywork involved, but as I'm looking to build up my '66 into a four-wheel-drive '66 K10 Suburban, I've been brushing up on factory literature over the past few weeks to see what I need to change frame-wise. C10 pickups and Suburbans have independent front suspension and coils at all four corners; 4WD K10 trucks did not -- leaf springs all around. Be prepared to modify the front crossmember and ditch the triangular locating linkage used on the rear axle of the C10 frame.

Yep, most definitely different set ups! I believe the frames were completely different part numbers back then and GM probably had 10 different ones based on wheelbase and 2 or 4 wd system

In converting one of the AMT 60 Chevy pickups, I cheated and used the chassis out of the 84 GMC as it was almost a perfect set up, I am guessing that I won't get as lucky when it comes to the Suburban and somehow wonder if someone will create a resin chassis and drive train for it?