Model Cars Magazine Forum

rotator wrecker questions

1-suggestions on how to strengthen chassis on peterbilt can do kit?
2-on twin steer 4 rear axle trucks are a) 2nd set of steering tires the wide tires as on the front steering axle?  if so, is there an aftermarket source for them? b)2nd  steering axle connected mechanically to front axle or is steering on 2nd axle done hydraulically?  c) of the 4 rear axles are they 2 drive axles and 2 helper axles? is there an aftermarket source for drive axles and/or helper axles?

3-how does the sliding part work on a sliding rotator?

thinking bout stretching can do kit and adding twin steering and 4rth rear axle...any suggestions welcome

1-suggestions on how to strengthen chassis on peterbilt can do kit?
2-on twin steer 4 rear axle trucks are a) 2nd set of steering tires the wide tires as on the front steering axle?  if so, is there an aftermarket source for them? b)2nd  steering axle connected mechanically to front axle or is steering on 2nd axle done hydraulically?  c) of the 4 rear axles are they 2 drive axles and 2 helper axles? is there an aftermarket source for drive axles and/or helper axles?

3-how does the sliding part work on a sliding rotator?

thinking bout stretching can do kit and adding twin steering and 4rth rear axle...any suggestions welcome

You have a lot of work there Jeff! I would search the internet for pictures or even possible diagrams of how everything is connected. I would see if there is anything on the Miller Industries website, they are a large wrecker manufacturer in Chattanooga TN. If you have seen "Highway thru Hell" on the weather channel, Jamie Davis got his Western Star rotator wrecker from them. 

To lengthen or strengthen the chassis, you will need some Evergreen or Plastruct structural styrene or if you are really up to the challenge, use brass! 

I believe the 2nd steering axle tires are the same width as the front/forward and the is controlled hydraulically. 

Not sure about the rear axles but there are probably only 2 drive and 2 helper axles.

Keep in mind that all of this will be out of view unless you display the model with mirrors or turn it over.

You have a lot of work there Jeff! I would search the internet for pictures or even possible diagrams of how everything is connected. I would see if there is anything on the Miller Industries website, they are a large wrecker manufacturer in Chattanooga TN. If you have seen "Highway thru Hell" on the weather channel, Jamie Davis got his Western Star rotator wrecker from them. 

To lengthen or strengthen the chassis, you will need some Evergreen or Plastruct structural styrene or if you are really up to the challenge, use brass! 

I believe the 2nd steering axle tires are the same width as the front/forward and the is controlled hydraulically. 

Not sure about the rear axles but there are probably only 2 drive and 2 helper axles.

Keep in mind that all of this will be out of view unless you display the model with mirrors or turn it over.

I have searched all over the net including the us patent office and haven't found much.ive stretched semis b4 so im cool with that.  as far as strengthening goes after frame is assembled I think im gonna fill in the inside of frame rails with epoxy(not sure if I could place brass/styrene around all the crossmembers and it b effective).  ill probably get one of the peterbilt snappers and use those wheels/tires.  from an engineering standpoint it seems to me that the rotating mechanism would b mounted on a platform that slides in some type of grooved channel with serious roller bearings. or maybe a geared drive?

The largest wrecker forum I know of http://tow411.yuku.com has lots of information on different style wreckers, browse around and you will get answers to allmost everything you want to know.

Here you can see how a sliding rotator is built up without the side cabinets, the rotator unit is clamped on and gliding on top of the beams and is actuated with a horisontal hydraulic cylinder to push it back and pull it forward.
There are most likely teflon type pads between the rotator unit and the beams and some grease to prevent it from seizing.

More here: http://tow411.yuku.com/topic/140817/The-All-NEW-Redesigned-Metro-RTR50SL#.WXTs9oiLTGg

The front axles in a twin steer are actuated with rods and you can have a power steering cylinder or power steering box to get the motion from the steering wheel to the idler arm,  here is a picture of one configuration of twin steer front axle setup.

Isuzu ,-FYJ-2000,-8x 4-agitator ,-ATN

The lower rod goes to the first steer axle and the rod at the upper right goes to the second steer axle.
KFS has a coupe of twin steer setups available that could work if you don't want to build your own.

As for the wide high flotation front tires and rims, as far as I know the only kits with them are the Revell AG Can-Do, Will-Do and Bill Signs Peterbilt 359 Clydes II Tractor, and I have seen them for sale separate at ebay from time to time, but there are wide front rims available on the after market too, both Auslowe and KFS have that type of wheels and tires.

The Moebius wheels and tires look good but they don't have any wide high flotation wheels at all.

Many truck manufacturers offers tri-drive chassis so in a four rear axle setup you can have three driven axles and one lift up pusher axle in front of them or two drive axles and one or two lift up pusher axles or one pusher and one tag axle, so it's up to you.

Edited by Force

The largest wrecker forum I know of http://tow411.yuku.com has lots of information on different style wreckers, browse around and you will get answers to allmost everything you want to know.

Here you can see how a sliding rotator is built up without the side cabinets, the rotator unit is clamped on and gliding on top of the beams and is actuated with a horisontal hydraulic cylinder to push it back and pull it forward.
There are most likely teflon type pads between the rotator unit and the beams and some grease to prevent it from seizing.

More here: http://tow411.yuku.com/topic/140817/The-All-NEW-Redesigned-Metro-RTR50SL#.WXTs9oiLTGg

The front axles in a twin steer are actuated with rods and you can have a power steering cylinder or power steering box to get the motion from the steering wheel to the idler arm,  here is a picture of one configuration of twin steer front axle setup.

Isuzu ,-FYJ-2000,-8x 4-agitator ,-ATN

The lower rod goes to the first steer axle and the rod at the upper right goes to the second steer axle.
KFS has a coupe of twin steer setups available that could work if you don't want to build your own.

As for the wide high flotation front tires and rims, as far as I know the only kits with them are the Revell AG Can-Do, Will-Do and Bill Signs Peterbilt 359 Clydes II Tractor, and I have seen them for sale separate at ebay from time to time, but there are wide front rims available on the after market too, both Auslowe and KFS have that type of wheels and tires.

The Moebius wheels and tires look good but they don't have any wide high flotation wheels at all.

Many truck manufacturers offers tri-drive chassis so in a four rear axle setup you can have three driven axles and one lift up pusher axle in front of them or two drive axles and one or two lift up pusher axles or one pusher and one tag axle, so it's up to you.

Great info Håkan, I've been tossing around the idea of a dual front axle myself only not on a wrecker, but the info is the same either way!!!!!!

Good luck on your build Jeff, if you have them available to you, you can use two sets of rails and cut them to where you only have one cut and splice in them instead of two.... Just a thought. Or use Evergreen Plastic to simulate the rails...

The wrecker body actually adds a great deal of strength to the frame, especially if you attach them before painting so you can get a good weld. Do your best to put the joints in the frame under the wrecker body and make the contact points really strong.