Model Cars Magazine Forum

37 Chevrolet police gasser

Jeff31293

Well I picked up this AMT Chevrolet coupe kit at my local hobby lobby for $15. Decided to get working on it while the paint on my Pontiac cuda cures. Decided I'm gonna do this as a gasser style police car. Currently prepping the body which means carving out the rear fenders to fit the drag slicks. This will be my first non box stock build so let's hope it goes well. Lots of sanding ahead of me!

IMG_2381.JPG

IMG_2382.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG

Well I decided that this was not going to be the body style I was looking for. Rather than go forward and be disappointed, im just going to build a fun gasser and enjoy the build. Today I worked on the body and got it ready to be painted candy purple. 

IMG_2387.thumb.JPG.907812ff31a9b235b1457

Getting dust all over the office. 

IMG_2388.thumb.JPG.5d7400e1e385491fd20ad

Filling the seams with putty and rounding out the edges. 

IMG_2390.thumb.JPG.e4cd150a1840f7b8bfbb2

Slowly sanding away the sides of the hood to make it sit level on the body. 

IMG_2389.thumb.JPG.d19ca75907ce1188d5d28

Since I don't have a dremel tool.....I had to be creative in cutting the hood. I used an old xacto knife and heated it up. I used the hot knife to cut through the plastic. It took a little longer but actually worked very well. 

IMG_2387.JPG

IMG_2388.JPG

IMG_2389.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG

IMG_2387.JPG

Well I decided that the body style for this build wasn't exactly what I was looking for so that will be a later project. This is gonna be just a fun build for me that I'm hoping to enjoy. Decided to go and chop the sides off of the 

IMG_2387.thumb.JPG.bed000ae5128ecba54e16

• 2 weeks later...

Final coats of paint finished before the clear coat is applied. 

Only going to have one bucket seat inside painted to match. Going with a purple and gold theme here. 

Mocking up the suspension under the frame to familiarize myself with the assembly. 

IMG_2407.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

Edited by Jeff31293