Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Pontiac Bonneville. 2/20, COMPLETE!!

Well, the '62 Plymouth has gone onto the back burner in favor of this MPC 1967 Pontiac Bonneville.

This started out as a built up ebay acquisition.

There are a few minor issues with the cowl area, the glass & the vent windows, but nothing major.

I will have to use the custom rocker panel trim as it was installed when I got it, so there is some body damage along the rocker area.

I had the rocker trim re-plated along with the rest of the chrome parts some time back, so it's ready to go.

I've decided to add a vinyl top to this one, so I've started out by adding the trim.

The color will be "Plum Mist" with a white vinyl top & a black & white interior.

If salvageable, the original tri-power kit engine will be used.

I'm anticipating that some fairly extensive engine bay mods might be necessary as well.

Steve

DSCN3824DSCN3826DSCN6133DSCN6134

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Looking forward to you working your magic on this one,i have a couple coupes and convertibles stashed but they need some parts,so I try to grab off ebay when I can.

Thanks Curtis.

This one was missing some parts as well, but I got lucky & got a set of bucket seats & a set of tail light lenses from Modelhaus before they closed shop.

I also got lucky & picked up a stock grille from another member in a trade so I believe that I have everything I need for a restoration.

I may have to figure out an alternative for the glass though.

Not sure if I'll be able to use the original.

Steve

Looking forward to you working your magic on this one,i have a couple coupes and convertibles stashed but they need some parts,so I try to grab off ebay when I can.

Me too. I also have an eBay rescue glue bomb in the stash. Will be eager to see what you do with yours.

I'm trying to find out if any of these were built in Verdoro Green. It was a 67 1/2 Firebird color, so theoretically should have been available on '67 Bonneville, but I haven't been able to confirm this.

Hey Steve, we could do "dueling Bonnevilles". :D

Looks like we're both at the same point with both cars. Mine is also now stripped and the chrome is replated and I've started bodywork and have bought the paint. [turquoise in and out] 

IMG 1580

Me too. I also have an eBay rescue glue bomb in the stash. Will be eager to see what you do with yours.

I'm trying to find out if any of these were built in Verdoro Green. It was a 67 1/2 Firebird color, so theoretically should have been available on '67 Bonneville, but I haven't been able to confirm this.

Verdoro Green was available as a springtime (mid-year) color on the Firebird Line in 1967. The color was offered across the board in 1968. But of course there was always special paint, where GM would paint any car any color in it's line for a slight additional cost. Go for it!

Verdoro Green was available as a springtime (mid-year) color on the Firebird Line in 1967. The color was offered across the board in 1968. But of course there was always special paint, where GM would paint any car any color in it's line for a slight additional cost. Go for it!

Yup, didn't see it in the '67 line, but here it is on a '68 GP.

Steve

Image result for Verdoro Green 1968 Pontiac

Just another update on some modifications.

I had to do a couple of repairs on the vent window areas.

Finished up the top seams & decided that the cowl area needed a little sprucing up so I drilled out the vents.

I'll add screen on the back side later on.

I also filled in the holes where the hood hinges inserted & fixed a chip on the windshield side of the cowl.

Now I'm working on some fender well details & will try to figure out a little detailing for the top of the radiator brace area.

The fender wells on these old MPC Pontiacs were way too narrow so some extensions will be in order.

Steve

DSCN6142DSCN6143DSCN6144

Yup, didn't see it in the '67 line, but here it is on a '68 GP.

Steve

Image result for Verdoro Green 1968 Pontiac

The assistant principal at my Junior High School had one just like that, except that hers had a black vinyl roof, and it had the full wheel covers instead of the 8-Lugs. She lived a block away from me. I plan to do my '69 G/P in Verdoro Green, with the Green Roof, and Saddle Leather interior.

Just another update on some modifications.

I had to do a couple of repairs on the vent window areas.

Finished up the top seams & decided that the cowl area needed a little sprucing up so I drilled out the vents.

I'll add screen on the back side later on.

I also filled in the holes where the hood hinges inserted & fixed a chip on the windshield side of the cowl.

Now I'm working on some fender well details & will try to figure out a little detailing for the top of the radiator brace area.

The fender wells on these old MPC Pontiacs were way too narrow so some extensions will be in order.

Steve

DSCN6142DSCN6143DSCN6144

That looks great!!! The link I posted earlier in the thread has a good detail shot of the radiator shroud. I a planning mine as I write this.

Here's how I did my '68. The '67 may be a bit different though. I may also have taken some libertys with it.

Looks great Steve!

I don't think I'll get quite that intricate, but that looks pretty much spot on!

I'm not removing any of the original surfaces under the hood, so whatever mods I make, I have to be cognisent about the hood seating properly.

There is very little to no space to play with.

Adding the wiper details will probably be a no go.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller