Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Pontiac Bonneville. 2/20, COMPLETE!!

Being as I'm going for a little higher level of detail on this project, I needed to address some engine bay issues.

The Firewall on this old MPC kit was more or less devoid of a couple of vital details.

There was no master cylinder of any kind, so I added the one from the '66 Goat kit.

While I was at it, I also added the steering gear, washer bottle & the battery from the same kit.

I also decided to grind the wiper motor detail from the GTO firewall & install that.

I also got the engine color on.

It's a custom mix, so it's probably not perfect, but it looks ok to me.

Every step gets me just a little closer! :P

Steve

2v2ujWCgVxwUbWP.jpg

2v2ujWyUqxwUbWP.jpg

9 minutes ago, montelsc said:

Are you sure its original??  never known a Bonneville to come with stick thats like saying cadillacs of that era had stick

Says in the brochure that 3 speed standard was the base tranny for all fullsize Pontiacs in '67, including Bonnies and GPs with the 4 speed and Turbo Hydromatic auto being optional.

On a full size Buick or Olds I'd question it but remember a Pontiac was only the second tier mark for GM at the time  with only Chevy being placed lower. Also Pontiac was thier "performance car" so a standard tranny would be expected to be available.

1967 Pontiac Full Line-54

Edited by Can-Con

34 minutes ago, montelsc said:

Get rid of that gear box bonnevilles were automatics not stick

Looks great !!!!!

Manual transmissions were available on nearly everything back then except for some of the very high end marques, (Lincoln, Caddy, etc.)

I've done some research & while they might not have been particularly common, the four speed was available in the '67 Bonneville.

At least it better have been!

The interior is already finished & it went through several modifications to change it to a 4 speed. ;)

Steve

2v2u5V1n5xwUbWP.jpg

Still plugging along slowly, but making progress.

Finished the engine this afternoon.

This is a combination of the Revell '66 GTO engine with added parts from an MPC '69 Firebird kit, as well as a modified air cleaner from some old annual kit.

I also added a couple of better interior pics to this post after setting up the photo studio.

Steve

2v2JUcS5mxwUbWP.jpg2v2JUcSMkxwUbWP.jpg2v2JUcV24xwUbWP.jpg2v2JUcSdDxwUbWP.jpg2v2JUcSy4xwUbWP.jpg

13 hours ago, John Goschke said:

FWIW, I think the air cleaner might be from AMT's '62 Buick, or one of the other 60's Buicks with the 401.

Very possible.

I just stumbled across it while looking for a suitable piece for this build.

I retained the basic air cleaner "body" then shaved off the straight "stumpy" original snorkel & replaced it with a scratch built one which has a slight "taper" & is angled downward like the '67 Pontiac piece.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Hallelujah!!

This project is finally done after messing around with it since the end of July, 2017!

Almost 7 months is way off of my target time for a build completion, but I'm already looking forward to the next one!

I'll leave this thread with a few shots of the finished engine.

I still have to install the antenna & rear view mirror & then I'll get busy shooting a few photos for the "Under Glass" section.

You can see it there in the near future.

Don't expect any outdoor shots just yet.

You know, February in Northern Minnesota & all. ;)

Whew!.......Glad that's over! :P

Steve

2v2JQ8QRmxwUbWP.jpg2v2JQ8QVTxwUbWP.jpg2v2JQ8K3ixwUbWP.jpg