Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Pontiac Bonneville. 2/20, COMPLETE!!

Slow progress continues.

The interior is getting very close to finished.

The dash is done!

I used parts from the Revell '66 GTO kit, including the steering wheel & column, grab bar & pedals.

All of the dash knobs were drilled out & replaced & the dash pad had a speaker grille & defroster vents added.

Hopefully the next update will be soon when the interior is complete.

Steve

2v2ud8hvVxwUbWP.jpg2v2ud8hKLxwUbWP.jpg2v2ud8h6CxwUbWP.jpg2v2ud8hSGxwUbWP.jpg

49 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Looks really good Steven, you're really going all out with this one.

Mine's kinds stalled as I'm using my free time buffing the paint out on my 1/1 project. It's getting a bit too cold to work on it now so I'll be back to the 1/25 projects soon. :D

Mine has been pretty much stalled as well Steve.

I manage to find a few minutes here & there in between installing lighting & tile in the kitchen.

Almost done with that, so I'm hoping to get a little more time at the bench while I wait until after the holidays to start tearing up & installing new floors! :rolleyes:

Steve

Your dashboard for this build is really quite something Steve, and I wish I could achieve that level of detail with my 1950's Rolls-Royce dashboards. The 1967 Pontiac Bonneville is so close to the car I am interested in, which is a Canadian right-hand drive Pontiac Parisienne from 1968. As you probably know better than I do, the Parisienne was a 4-door and I just wondered if it is possible to buy a 4-door kit as well as the 2-door kits that you have?

I used to own and drive a 1968 Pontiac Parisienne and I would like to build a 1:24 scale or 1:25 scale model of that car. Mine was pale yellow with a brown vinyl roof and the registration plate was FCK33. Maybe I could do a 2-door to 4-door conversion, although that would be quite a challenge.

David J Watson ( England )

Pontiac.png

4 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Your dashboard for this build is really quite something Steve, and I wish I could achieve that level of detail with my 1950's Rolls-Royce dashboards. The 1967 Pontiac Bonneville is so close to the car I am interested in, which is a Canadian right-hand drive Pontiac Parisienne from 1968. As you probably know better than I do, the Parisienne was a 4-door and I just wondered if it is possible to buy a 4-door kit as well as the 2-door kits that you have?

I used to own and drive a 1968 Pontiac Parisienne and I would like to build a 1:24 scale or 1:25 scale model of that car. Mine was pale yellow with a brown vinyl roof and the registration plate was FCK33. Maybe I could do a 2-door to 4-door conversion, although that would be quite a challenge.

David J Watson ( England )

The '67 Bonneville was done by MPC in 2 door hard top & convertible configurations in 1967 only, so it's a pretty rare kit as is.

Same with the '68.

As far as I know, there are no 4 door resin kits available so you would have to do a complete conversion of your own, that is if you can bring yourself to cut up a kit that can potentially bring $200.00. 

Steve

Thanks very much Steve, and I had a feeling the Bonneville kit was a rare one. The potential price of $200.00 is £150.00 GBP so it would take a brave man to have a go at a conversion that wasn't guaranteed to work!

I will have a look round for MPC kits from '67 and '68, while I am sourcing Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud kits from Minicraft, Entex, Academy, Masterkit and Revell, maybe try a few resin body shell producers. I have moulded and cast two body shells successfully so far for this car that is 1955 -1959 only.

I suppose the '66 GTO you mentioned is a different body altogether?

David

101_1256.JPG

101_1259.JPG

3 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Thanks very much Steve, and I had a feeling the Bonneville kit was a rare one. The potential price of $200.00 is £150.00 GBP so it would take a brave man to have a go at a conversion that wasn't guaranteed to work!

I will have a look round for MPC kits from '67 and '68, while I am sourcing Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud kits from Minicraft, Entex, Academy, Masterkit and Revell, maybe try a few resin body shell producers. I have moulded and cast two body shells successfully so far for this car that is 1955 -1959 only.

I suppose the '66 GTO you mentioned is a different body altogether?

David

Like mentioned the 66-68 Big Pontiac annuals can be a little tough to find and expensive when you do.  ( I just bought a decent 1967 Bonneville conv builder and paid just over $100 for it. With a cracked but easily fixed windshield frame. ,,,not for sale )  

That said ,,, and for your intended purpose. A  re- builder would obviously be the best route. And with the mods your intending. A less than mint body would be ideal. And considerably cheaper and easier to find .

Do Like I do and set up search parameters on ebay to be notified when something is listed .

Thats how Ive found the vast majority of my old annuals stash over the past few years.

As far as the GTO, Yes its a completely different body style and size. But less expensive to come up with

I've finally finished something on this project!

The interior modifications include:

The steering wheel, steering column, grab bar, & shifter gate section of the console came from the Revell '66 GTO kit.

The console mounted tach was swiped from an old Johan kit.

The dash pad was modified by adding a speaker grille & a pair of defroster vents.

The window cranks & door latches were cast from Laser Bond & chromed with Molotow pen.

Floors were covered with embossing powder & door lock buttons were added.

All dash knobs & locks were drilled out & replaced.

Other than that, it's all just paint & foil.

Steve

2v2u5V11yxwUbWP.jpg2v2u5V1VWxwUbWP.jpg2v2u5V1T3xwUbWP.jpg2v2u5V1LqxwUbWP.jpg2v2u5V1n5xwUbWP.jpg

Fantastic result on your interior Steve and I bet you're really pleased with that. You can focus on other areas of the build now I guess. I am finding myself using the Molotow Liquid Chrome pen more than BMF these days, even though I am a firm believer in BMF.

David

49 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Fantastic result on your interior Steve and I bet you're really pleased with that. You can focus on other areas of the build now I guess. I am finding myself using the Molotow Liquid Chrome pen more than BMF these days, even though I am a firm believer in BMF.

David

Thank you David.

I only use the pens where it's not practical to use foil.

I still have reservations about the durability of the Molotow ink.

Steve

I think that I have the engine figured out.

I'm using the Revell '66 GTO basic engine assembly with the intake & valve covers from the MPC '69 Firebird kit.

The air cleaner is an old annual kit piece from "who knows where" with a scratch made snorkel.

Just need to find a half way decent carb.

Steve

2v2uNA663xwUbWP.jpg