Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Build 1957 Ford Del Rio Station Wagon Finished !

Metalmad

Thank you Jim ! The red really pops when in the sunlight and the red metal flake is a nail polish and the color is called Holla At Me.

Rob I used a 2K Clear that I purchased at my local Auto Paint Store.

Edited by Metalmad

I have been looking for something to replicate the air cleaner element so wife needed to go to Joann's I tagged along to take a look at what I might find  and I came across a package of different sized and colored ribbon for $3.47 that worked out nicely.

IMG_1074.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

A little teaser to see how the Ranch Wagon will look when finished but I still need to work on getting the brake calipers finished and I also need to adjust the engine some what to get it sitting better in the chassie.

IMG_1082.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

Was able to get a bit of bench time in on the brake calipers which I have basically the shape of all four that have been scratch built so next will  try my best to shape them one at time to replicate a brake caliper.

fullsizeoutput_531.jpeg

Edited by Metalmad

I have started shaping the brake calipers this evening and so far everything is going as planned so here is what I have so far which I have pictured one that I started that's on the left and one that hasn't been touched yet is on the right.

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

I have finished shaping all the brake calipers this evening so next up will be to start scratch building the caliper mounts for the front spindles and rear axles then map out the location to run the brake lines.

fullsizeoutput_533.jpeg

Edited by Metalmad

Been moving quit slowly on the Wagon but here is a small update on her which I decided to tone down the center of the wheels so I  shot a few coats of black clear on them which will give it some contrast to the aluminum sleeves. I also have scratch built two centering pieces for the carbs so the scratch built air cleaner would sit secure on top of the carbs. 

IMG_1197.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

Started working on scratch h building the rear coil overs so I have used  hollow styrene sorry I do not have the sizes I used and I also punched out some round flat pieces for ends that will hold the wire in place.I also have attached the upper mounting eyelit so next will be to address the bottom of the coil. 

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

• 2 weeks later...

A small update and which is I have  Installed the dome light to the roof and I have also scratch built mounting brackets for the rear brake calipers . Next will be to mock up the fuel line from the gas tank up to the front fire wall and also attach the rear scratch built brake line tee to the rear differential and also mock up the brake line

IMG_1224.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

• 5 weeks later...

Small update and pictures coming soon .

I have installed the fuel tank and fuel line to the fuel tank and I have  started to run the fuel line from the gas tank to the firewall and I have also added a inline fuel filter. I also have installed the rear brake lines and tee fitting to the rear axle and have ran the brake lines to the rear brake calipers so next I will be running the rear brake line along the frame rail then up to the firewall.

Edited by Metalmad

I haven't looked in on this build in a loooooong time but I should've been all along. I really like the air filter element idea and may be going to Joanne's myself to cash in on it. Very good progress. Looks like I'll be following along on this one so I can remember to check the progress more.

It's been awhile but I have been working on getting the Ranch Wagon finished so here is a small update on her. I have finished scratch building all the brake line junctions the fuel rail & fuel line to the carbs, fuel line from gas tank to fuel rail & scratch built in line fuel filter , battery cables with the battery cable ends & cables mounted to battery, rear brake lines mounted to rear differential & brake lines to rear brake calipers, rear scratch built coil over shocks installed & scratch built aluminum drive shaft .

IMG_1753.thumb.JPG.71310016cec122d0e4b0159410ddeb57.JPG s

Edited by Metalmad