Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Build 1957 Ford Del Rio Station Wagon Finished !

Metalmad

Thank you Gene !

I have chosen to use the Holley Dominators carbs since they look to be in scale to the high rise manifold. I have started to detail them a bit by drilling out the venturies and I will also drill out holes for the fuel lines that will be ran.

I got the carbs venturies drilled & holes drilled for the fuel lines plus they are in primer now and I still have some clean up to do on the manifold. I also got the valve covers shot with clear black and they are also drilled for the spark plug boots and plug wires.

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the encouraging comments ! Got in a few hours today on this build which I started to scratch build the air cleaner assembly and I was able to finish the bottom portion of the assembly so next will be the top then after the top assembly is finished then I will smooth out all the edges to make the ends round and I also add a few styrene strips on the top to give it a custom look.

Thanks for looking thats all for now !

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

Made a little progress today on the air cleaner assembly and I was able to finish the cover so next will be to scratch build the inner support and also come up with the actually filter. I also scratch built the carb venturi's today and have them installed into the carbs so next will be a little primer then some paint.

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

Worked on the air cleaner assembly this evening & was not sure how i was going to finish this up so I added another piece of flat .40 styrene and removed the colored area where the carbs will sit plus it gives me a bit of a foundation to add the 1/32 strip that will give the depth of the filter and also a way to secure the top of the air cleaner to the bottom half. So now that I have finish building the assembly I'm debating on adding small styrene strips to the top of the assembly to give a bit of a custom look or to just leave it nice and smooth. 

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

Edited by Metalmad

Just finished up the 1955 Gasser ( Tom Daniel Badman) which I posted earlier today under glass so I have started another build which is the 1957 Ford Del Rio Station Wagon (2 n 1 Gasser Kit) which I have already backed halfed for the four link in the rear and I have also chosen a 429 engine for the power plant plus the paint.

So here we go !

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

Ephesians 6 10:20

I wasn't sure if I was going to install the rear seat but I decided I was so I scratch built the rear panel for the rear seat and also made some small panels for the floor where the rear seat sits so it would sit level because after tubbing her the rear seat was pushed up a bit towards the front seat back. I also finished up where I cut and grafted in the rear tub by scratch building small tunnel panel to attach to the back half which all it needs now is to be sanded a bit smoother then shoot some primer on her.After looking a little more closely at the rear seat I will now attempt to remove the rear armrests and relocate them so  they are in the correct place since the rear seat has been moved up do to the rear tubs.

fullsizeoutput_4c5.jpeg

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

• 2 months later...

Small update on this build which I have decided to use the 4 link rear end that is from the 67 Chevelle Monogram Pro Street kit and I have it assembled plus I modified the front a arms so I would be able to use headers from my parts box. I still need to figure out the rack and pinion set up that will be using also. But here is another mock up  of the stance with the 4 link installed.

IMG_0518.JPG

On your rack and pinion steering issue you might check with HL on their closeout model section. I picked up a late model Mustang kit as a donor for parts on a future project also with a '57 Ford. This would give you a modern front suspension to work with among other parts.

This has been a very slow build so here is a small update.I have the interior painted which is two tone dull red and satin black but the dash, side panels and floor pan still need to be detailed. I also have the engine set in where its permanent resting place will be and I have also started scratch building the exhaust system which I have not decided where it will exit at.

Thank You for looking ! 

IMG_0795.JPG

fullsizeoutput_51c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_51d.jpeg

Edited by Metalmad

Thinking of changing the color to this color so what do you guys think of it ? But I will still be painting it in a two tone with silver and with a black insert on the inside of the chrome moldings that run down the sides of the wagon.

fullsizeoutput_521.jpeg

Edited by Metalmad

David it's nail polish that I had picked up a few years ago that was on sale for .99 cents a bottle which I bought four of. I also shot on some automotive clear this evening that I have been wanting to try and so far there has been no issue with the nail polish accepting the clear.

Edited by Metalmad

I'm very happy with out come of the clear that I shot on the nail polish so I will be using the clear when I'm done shooting the color on her andI have also pretty much finished up the hand bent styrene exhaust but it still needs to be tweaked a bit.

IMG_0929.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

Edited by Metalmad