Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Build 1957 Ford Del Rio Station Wagon Finished !

Metalmad

Just finished up the 1955 Gasser ( Tom Daniel Badman) which I posted earlier today under glass so I have started another build which is the 1957 Ford Del Rio Station Wagon (2 n 1 Gasser Kit) which I have already backed halfed for the four link in the rear and I have also chosen a 429 engine for the power plant plus the paint.

So here we go !

IMG_0134.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

Was able to get in a little bench time this evening which I will be removing the engine mounts so that I will have room for the headers for the 429 engine that will be installed on this build. So I have started scratch building the engine plates which as you can see they still need a little finish work to have them done plus I have started to box the frame rails and I will also be giving it a go with parts from Scott at Futurattraction which is a rear 4 link set up and a Ford nine inch with a disc brakes.

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

A little update on the Del Rio Wagon.

I have started some of the scratch building for this build so first is to scratch build the fuel cell which is basically done so next I will shoot some primer on her to make sure it is nice and smooth then figure out where I will drill holes to run the fuel lines.

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

Was able to get a little bench time in today so I started to modify the interior since I have tubbed the chassie and I also had to make some modifications to the interior which surprisingly went pretty good so for. I'm not sure as of yet if I will keep the front bench seat or use bucket seats with a center console but I'm swaying towards the bench seat.

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

Small update :  I have added hold down straps to the fuel cell and it's in primer and I will add the fuel fittings and lines later since I haven't mapped out where I want to run them yet. I'm contaplating on doing a rack and pinion steering system which I have a rack and pinion in my parts box and front lower control arms also to accommodate the rack and pinion steering which I will attempt to modify for better fitment..

IMG_0159.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

I was able to get a little work in this evening on this build and after looking at the high rise manifold I decided that it looked a little to high so I cut off about a 1/8" off to shorten it a bit then I also sanded down about 1/16" underneath where the carbs would sit on top.Then I made a small plate to put in between the top half and bottom of the manifold so it would look more uniform which now you can see the difference in the height in the last picture of the last post and the picture in this post which to me looks a lot better.

IMG_0229.JPG

Your manifold looks far more realistic now. How are you planning to handle to hood clearance issues ??  I like the Ford Thunder Bolt style, but there are many other options including having the carbs. out in the breeze.