Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's a good Miter Box for cutting styrene rods and strips?

I've been using this one from X-acto for many years. It's fine, and has slots milled in the bottom inside surface that will hold several different dimensions of stock securely while you cut. It also has a 'step' milled as a projection on the underside of one of the vertical faces to make it easy to steady on the edge of a workbench.

Like all tools, the quality of the work it turns out is directly in proportion to the skill and care the user brings to its operation.

Image result for xacto miter box

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I've been using this one from X-acto for many years. It's fine, and has slots milled in the bottom inside surface that will hold several different dimensions of stock securely while you cut. It also has a 'step' milled as a projection on the underside of one of the vertical faces to make it easy to steady on the edge of a workbench.

Like all tools, the quality of the work it turns out is directly in proportion to the skill and care the user brings to its operation.

Image result for xacto miter box

Ditto

I also use this Miter box, and have two of them. I find the locating slots for my razor saw are a bit wide, so I slide a machinist's rule (about a buck plus change) down along side of the saw blade, after putting a 90 degree bend in the rule about 3 / 4 " from the end to keep it from sliding out; makes cuts much more precise .  I have both fine and coarse tooth saws, but find I seldom use the coarse blade, getting cleaner and more precise cuts with the fine saw blade.

Ditto

It's been so long I don't remember,but here's a picture of it.

miter.jpg

That is the one I have used for years also.  I also have a plastic one, that came with "hold-down" pins to hold the stock in place.  All the pins have disappeared and the slots have widened a bit.  You get what you pay for.

Edited by TarheelRick

I prefer this; "The Chopper" from Northwest Short Line.

chopperii.jpg

It can cut at several angles and can cut multiple pieces to the same dimensions. You won't be chopping 1/4" thick styrene with it, but for most Evergreen strip/rod stock, it is awesome.

It's been so long I don't remember,but here's a picture of it.

miter.jpg

I have one of these too. Have had it for decades. I don't remember when or where I got it, or why. And I've never used it.

One of those things that just magically appears on your workbench or in your stashpile one for no evident reason....

I have one of these too. Have had it for decades. I don't remember when or where I got it, or why. And I've never used it.

One of those things that just magically appears on your workbench or in your stashpile one for no evident reason....

Same here. I put a thin piece of wood on the bottom so I don't have the saw teeth contact the aluminum.

I also have one of those nifty power miter saws from Harbor Freight, but rarely use it. Even with minimal use, I've had to replace the ON/OFF switch.