Model Cars Magazine Forum

Using the "Purple Pond"

Not only does it remove chrome, it usually removes the lacquer clearcoat under the chrome. This is important for when you are having parts rechromed as it gets down to the bare plastic to better show the detail.

It'll remove the chrome really fast...with a fresh batch you can watch the chrome trail off almost instantly, but that clearcoat under neath can take some time. Generally I drop it in before bed and just remove and clean it off in the morning. Some older kits I've had it take a couple days to get all that clearcoat off.

A lot is being said about using gloves. I use the heavier kitchen type gloves.  It may be difficult to find a pair to fit our "man-sized" hands, but they are out there.  ALWAYS check your gloves for pinholes, best way to do this is to blow them full and dunk them into a pan of water.  Super Clean and Purple Power will seep into a pinhole and wreak holy havoc on your hands.

?#2, What to do with the Purple stuff when done? Figured that out myself, amount used vs amount purchased insignificant, @ $ 5 / Gal. at Walmart, down the drain it went.

I usually keep mine, until it gets so diluted it's no good anymore, then I refill the container.

I can't add much, but I have found that the gallon plastic ice cream buckets are great for this.  And you can store a whole kit/project in an empty one to keep everything together.  You can store paints, hot wheels, etc in them as well.   My building isn't heated, so in the winter I have a couple of the ice ceam buckets loaded with things to bring to house to work with.  Then I can put everything back in the bucket and keep the missus happy.  The new missus likes a neat, clean house, so I'm not allowed to have hobby sprawl.  The buckets work good.  Plus you get ice cream.

The pond doesn't strip like I thought  -it lifts the paint instead of melting it in most cases.