Model Cars Magazine Forum

Going to build old kits

retired & glad

Someone gave me these kits in the mid '90's and they have been stored since then. I think it is about time to make room for some newer kits. I don't know if the decals will work since they are over 20 years old but the parts have never been out of the boxes. It has been a few years since I have followed the racing circuit but it will be a fun and good build.DSC_0002.thumb.JPG.8e83908852c2bd79c12cb 

Richard

Edited by retired & glad

I've started on one of them and if I hadn't built anything lately I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the stryrene from then to now. I like the way the parts are fitting and the styrene has a  kinda rubber feel to them. It has been a pleasure working on the motor so far. Very little flashing to clean up. The decals don't look that bad, so I will try them first. Guess I had better pick up a few Dale Jr.'s rides before he gets out. Hope I can paint match close enough for any I do. Looks like a lot of spoon painting is going to happen.

Richard

Build them and enjoy them...that is what there for.

Thanks Mark. So far this has been a very enjoyable build. Very little cleaning and scraping of the parts. The one I started- Quaker State- has been going very good. When I finish putting some parts together and finish checking everything for fit, I'll prime and paint. Pictures will be coming soon.

Richard

Yeah, go ahead and build them. You can't sell them for more than a buck on eBay. Believe me, I've tried

Not just on eBay.  I'm in the heart of NASCAR country and go to some big flea markets almost every week.  NASCAR kits (and die-casts) are all over the flea-market tables.  I talked to a vendor one day who bought a huge estate collection from a widow - more than 1,000 NASCAR kits and die-casts. Said he paid her $1.00 each for them, and was having trouble making any profit at all.

When I see the Monogram kits below going cheap, I usually buy them just for those accessories and part out the kit.  Because you can't ever have too many accessories...

mono-nas_.jpg

Not just on eBay.  I'm in the heart of NASCAR country and go to some big flea markets almost every week.  NASCAR kits (and die-casts) are all over the flea-market tables.  I talked to a vendor one day who bought a huge estate collection from a widow - more than 1,000 NASCAR kits and die-casts. Said he paid her $1.00 each for them, and was having trouble making any profit at all.

When I see the Monogram kits below going cheap, I usually buy them just for those accessories and part out the kit.  Because you can't ever have too many accessories...

mono-nas_.jpg

Hey Mike. I have not built any Nascar kits before this run of them I have. Looking through the instructions I saw this one has a gas can and a jack. That's pretty neat that the mfgs have included some accessories with the kits. A few years back I used to race 1/10th and 1/8th dirt oval cars and a lot of the people that worked on the Nascars in the shops would be there racing also.  They normally didn't have to go to the races but had to fix and repair, paint them when brought back to the shop wrecked.

Richard

Well so far I have primed everything and now time to start getting the colors mixed right. Looks like some spoon time will be done today. I like the way this build is coming along. I can tell there is a difference between USA and CHINA styrene.  Just a photo of the start of the Quaker State #26.

DSC_0003.JPG

I use to be heavy into NASCAR models back in the 80s and 90s. Got over 20 still waiting to be built and over 20 built. Now that I've decided to get back into building models they are numbered and on the list. Still love NASCAR but not the model building aspect of it.