Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yankee Sizzler Funny Car

Got another build finished. This is another simple, out of the box style build of the Tim Kushi Monza Funny Car using a Revell kit along with Chuck Boerner decals. This is my first build where I finally used some of Chuck's superb decals. 

For the sake of the build I made my usual adjustments to the chassis and suspension to make the kit sit better along with swapping out the rear slicks with a set from a more modern Revell funny car kit as they were better suited for the cars from this era. I also made the changes to the body along the rear roof area to allow for the real car as Kushi was a very tall man and the real car had to be notched to allow the body to clear the roll cage because of his height. I also made new side panel tin work and some homemade graphics for these sides as a lot of the real cars from this era utilized a lot of different style marbilized paint schemes on their tin work. 

Now, in regards to Chuck and his decals. For those that have purchased Chuck's work before they are fully aware that his decals are most excellent. They go on great and the graphics are crisp with virtually no bleed through on any white areas. The other aspect of Chuck is that his customer service is superb as well. I finished the decals on this body over 4 months ago, which would be plenty of time to cure before adding any clear coats. Two weeks ago, when I added the clear, the roof panel wrinkled up beyond repair. Don't know why as every other spot of the body came out fine. It had nothing to do with the decals but apparently something else. I contacted Chuck and explained the issue and he was more than happy to send me a replacement roof panel to correct the issue and finish the build. I couldn't have asked for anything more and even though I have an extensive library of Chuck's decals for future builds I will never hesitate to spend more money there in the future.

OokHQowWgttUZQCI-vi.jpg

8lJVsUTgUuTjj-vi.jpg

jRSR8bKu4QfUzSF5OGFqzONOMZn1gt-vi.jpg

d8-vi.jpg

ApaB_qZPB2qMHOjkVzcazRqiOSvCVG-vi.jpg

ZyQiNAJJzSLNjAu4UPbJoTELRxO-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Wayne... Looking good, This turned out great. I couldn't agree with you more about Chucks Decals, They are very nice, thin and go on well. I have a few sets of his decals for some future projects myself. The only thing I can suggest on why the decals may of wrinkled it could of been that the clear was a little too hot for it. I had a couple of mine that looked like they started to wrinkle when I cleared my funny car body. The decals on my Army Funny car a Mixture of Chucks decals and what Brad (Gasser59) drew up for me both printed on Alps printers. I think I may have put the clear on a little too heavy at first in the small areas that I had trouble, If I remember I gave it some time in between coats and you can't even tell now where it happened. But definitely made me realize that I needed to mist the first few coats of clear on them. Again Nice job on this build

Wayne... Looking good, This turned out great. I couldn't agree with you more about Chucks Decals, They are very nice, thin and go on well. I have a few sets of his decals for some future projects myself. The only thing I can suggest on why the decals may of wrinkled it could of been that the clear was a little too hot for it. I had a couple of mine that looked like they started to wrinkle when I cleared my funny car body. The decals on my Army Funny car a Mixture of Chucks decals and what Brad (Gasser59) drew up for me both printed on Alps printers. I think I may have put the clear on a little too heavy at first in the small areas that I had trouble, If I remember I gave it some time in between coats and you can't even tell now where it happened. But definitely made me realize that I needed to mist the first few coats of clear on them. Again Nice job on this build

Thanks Chris. I'm not sure what the problem was. I've been clearing models for years and have seen all kinds of problems from atmosphere issues to incompatability with clears and paint and many other issues. I couldn't pinpoint what happened here because it only happened on the roof and I applied the clear evenly across the body. The only guess that I could come up with is that the roof is the only section of the body that I did any major bodywork to and that may have had something to do with it. But, problem was resolved.

Wayne as usual you do top notch work. That roof decal would have driven me out of my mind.

Say hello to the gang at Jaxcon for me.

Thanks Rob. Haven't been to Jaxcon since 2013 but now that my last 4 1/2 years of driving a truck OTR is done and I'm back home on a regular basis I can get back to some serious model building and get some projects completed and get back to some model shows that I've missed out on over the past few years.

• 2 weeks later...