Model Cars Magazine Forum

50 Olds Rocket 88

carcrazy19

Just finished this kit tonight. I built it box stock. I really like this kit so much that I bought another one. The kit went together with no fitment issues but there were a few things that I could have done better like the BMF and the paint could have come out a little nicer but I'm happy with how it turned out. The only thing I have to complain about are the white wall decals, they were a pain and they would have been nicer had the white walls been printed on the tires  The only thing that I think could be considered custom would be the color, it's Testors Deja blue. To my surprise my daughter who is a true girly girl took a liking to this model when I was building it and asked if she could have it when I finished so now it sits on her dresser. She was so excited to have it on display that she couldn't wait to show my wife. Here are a few pics hope you like it. As always I ask for your opinions and constructive criticism so that I can learn more tips from all of you great builders as well as sharpen my skills. Thank you  

IMG_1535[1].JPG

IMG_1529[1].JPG

IMG_1530[1].JPG

IMG_1533[1].JPG

IMG_1534[1].JPG

IMG_1537[1].JPG

It seems that you have already learned much from tips and criticisms - that looks terrific.

If I may, I suggest you try painting your whitewalls with acrylic paint.  They can be sprayed using a circle template as a mask, but I have had success using Citadel (Warhammer) paint carefully brushed on in several light coats.  The first coat is the most difficult, but many tyres have a lip to form the outer circumference of the whitewall.  Subsequent coats are easier to apply.  These were handpainted:P1060870.thumb.JPG.6688e2a51496388dc771f

Paul is so right!  I paint white walls all the time.

If you reduce the paint down to a bit thicker than

water you can lay it on thick and just let it dry.

When it dries it will shrink down flat and look

even better than pad printed tires!!

Just leave them lay flat while they dry, and if

the paint runs it runs down into the tires center.

That is no problem to remove, or just cover up

when the wheels go in!

Antique white works best because it looks far

more real than the bright white color of pad type

printed tires.

David S.

I'm not sure there are any comments to be made for "constructive criticism".  It's beautiful, except as you say, for thte WW tires.  They look like the JC Whitney things you could buy back in the day.   Just say that's what they are!  lol.   Beautiful.  And cool that your daughter loved it as well.

Great looking build and I personally like that color of Blue and have used far to often myself. I'm in fact working on a '50 Olds but with a Resin fastback body. The base kit is the California Wheels addition and has some very nice pad printed Wide Whites. So that may be a place to look for better tires. Another option is to get the white walls offered by Pegasus. They also offer a narrow white wall with chrome wheels, sort of a late '50's too 60's look.      

Your Olds looks fantastic! The 1st thing I thought of when I saw your tires is they look exactly like the "Port o Walls" I have on my real '56 Dodge. Port o Walls for those who don't know are white wall rings mounted by inserting it between the tire & the rim. They are a poor man's white wall that are are still available thru after-market vendors. They look a little wrinkly around the edges but supposedly lay flat when in motion. Mine look a little more wrinkly than most as I had purchased them during the time when the industry was moving to radial tires. the Port o Walls I have were intended for bias ply & don't perfectly on the radial tires their mated with:wacko:

Your Olds looks fantastic! The 1st thing I thought of when I saw your tires is they look exactly like the "Port o Walls" I have on my real '56 Dodge. Port o Walls for those who don't know are white wall rings mounted by inserting it between the tire & the rim. They are a poor man's white wall that are are still available thru after-market vendors. They look a little wrinkly around the edges but supposedly lay flat when in motion. Mine look a little more wrinkly than most as I had purchased them during the time when the industry was moving to radial tires. the Port o Walls I have were intended for bias ply & don't perfectly on the radial tires their mated with:wacko:

Funny I thought that too. A very authentic look I may add. Beautiful job.

Very nice work Anthony. That's a kit I have on my "must build" list.  

Since you are in NJ, I'd like to invite you to the Tri-State Scale Model Car Club.  We meet in Perth Amboy the 2nd Saturday of every month.  Our next meeting is August  12  at 1pm.    Details and driving directions are on our website at: www.tssmcc.org