Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Suburban - Revell - Basic Build

I've been waiting for this kit to come out ever since I heard about last quarter of 2016. I bought two of them and this first one will be basically box stock. Think I'll build it for the Straight Line Modelers dio as a tow vehicle with tool boxes and other related stuff in the back. Here's a few progress pictures.

ChassisUnderside-vi.jpg

Engine1-vi.jpg

Hubcap1-vi.jpg

This should be fairly quick based on the length of time it takes me to build detailed ones.

Edited by gasser59

Its a great kit John. Alot of the same tooling as the mid 60s pickup.  I was ale to get most of the interior done and I had a hard time figuring out the color scheme on the interior and went with grey and white. The kit seat decals look great with the grey and went on without a hitch. Since this intended for a late 60s racing dio as a tow vehicle, I left out the rear seat and am putting in some items for a cross-country trip. Just getting started on that.

Here's a few pictures. The body will be painted blue and white with the blue on the bottom.

Stance1-vi.jpg

DashSeats-vi.jpg

RearCargo1-vi.jpg

I have two of them. The first one, my wife pre-ordered for me and the other I picked up at Andy's Hobby Headquarters. He's pretty well stocked on them. I have plans for the second one as well. I wanted to familiarize myself with the kit with this build and the second will be something different. I have plans for a third too.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks David. The idea for the SLM dio was my inspiration for this build. I also have a trailer taking up space on my shelf that I need to build to go along with this. I suppose a car for the trailer will be in order too.

Yep, this is a great kit with tons of possibilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Since this is pretty much an out of the box build, its going together quickly. Been a long time since I've been able to one built so quickly. Got most everything painted and assembled. Still need to be glued together, radiator hoses added, front bumper, wipers, door handles, etc.

DriversSide1-vi.jpg

Engine bay is clean and I think it looks good even without wires.

Engine2-vi.jpg

Changed my mind and went ahead and added the back seat. Still adding stuff to the rear to help tell the story of a long trek across the country. Added a metal cooler and a bell housing.

Cooler1-vi.jpg

Into the home stretch.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks Mike. I forgot to mention the paint colors. I really don't like the orange paint color on the box. YUK!!  What were they thinking? I used Tamiya Pearl White and Tamiya Brilliant blue. I've one spot needing some paint touch up and that is on the passenger door. Now you know why I didn't shoot any pictures of that side. ^_^

Edited by gasser59

A bit more items added to the interior. I scratch built the suitcase, cooler, and cardboard boxes plus a few empty beer cans thrown in. After all, its is a cross country trip.

Cargo1sm-vi.jpg

In the home stretch.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks David. A few more pictures. Almost finished with the trailer. Covered it with thin 3 part plywood,made some ramps with printing plate and also covered with plywood, then weathered them and made a creeper for the back seat. Here's a few pics.

Trailer1sm-vi.jpg

Trailer2sm-vi.jpg

Ramps1sm-vi.jpg

Creeper1-vi.jpg

Thanks David. I have a creeper from the Fujimi tool set but knew I could make a better one with actual wood. As for the trailer, I picked it up at a swap meet so I don't know where it originated. It was broken and without any axles. To get it the ride height I wanted, I had to drill through the frame. I decided to add some leaf spring shaped pieces of evergreen plus three spring ends for each side. Here's a picture to help illustrate.

2v2ucnTAWxAhY3V.jpg

Edited by gasser59

A couple more progress pics. One of the trailer hooked up, one of the finished engine bay and one of the front blinker. For the chrome, I used a Molotow chrome pens and the orange is a kit decal. The Suburban hooked up to the trailer almost is the width of my working space.

the creeper came out so nice that I didn't want to hide it in the interior. I still need to add the radiator hoses and figure out what I want to do with the spare tire hanger.

2v2ufbzTFxAhY3V.jpg

2v2ufbzkNxAhY3V.jpg

2v2ufbzCNxAhY3V.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality cell phone pictures. More pictures tomorrow.

Edited by gasser59