Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 SHELBY FINALLY FINISHED

cobramike

After much hard work, stress, and then more work I finally finished my 68 Shelby Gt 500.  First mistake you ask? I let my wife decide how to finish the interior tub...never again!
Second mistake? I tried to make this model into a silk purse but forgot how to spin silk!  All kidding aside it took about 5 months to finish but that was mostly because of getting my greenhouse going this spring, then rebuilding all of my raised bed garden boxes and bringing in new soil etc and getting the beds ready, then along came the hail storm on the 6th of May that tore up allot of my hard work, fixed that with much gnashing of teeth, hand wringing, and I swear if I had been younger I would have smacked the insurance adjuster in the mouth!  
Then came camping season, had to replace brakes, tires, wheel bearings, and oh so much more work than I anticipated on my pop up camping trailer.  
But lo and behold all is well and I finished the car with a flourish a week ago. Anyway, I am going to try to post some pics of it, I can't go through photobucket because for what ever reason I cannot sign in.  
Please be nice in your criticisms but I can take some punishment as well so I hope you all "like" this car.
On to the next project....  

IMGP0034.JPG

IMGP0037.JPG

IMGP0039.JPG

IMGP0041.JPG

IMGP0045.JPG

IMGP0048.JPG

IMGP0049.JPG

IMGP0044.JPG

Great looking build. Nice paint finish and real clean chrome trim. Not sure about the interior, but from what I could see it also looked good. I would have had the rear end just a tad higher but that's just me.

That one looks very nice. The AMT '68 Shelby is definitely an old school kit derived from the '68 annual that has been maligned by some of the members of the board, some of it much deserved, This build proves that a good paint job, creative building, and a decent set of wheels and tires can make the old girl quite presentable. The last few builds of this kit I have seen on the board, including this one makes me glad that I did not get rid of mine. By the way. this month's Collectable Automobile Magazine has an excellent article on the Shelby Mustangs of this era.

Man that's nice! Good stance, good colors, clean job. I suggest you quit gardening and just build more models for us to look at ?

Thanks.  Ehhh, gotta have them both. Wife say's that I have too many hobbies. Between camping, fishing, gardening, knife making, model building, leather working, etc she is looking at me with her queer eye these days, saying that maybe I need to UNRETIRE!!! 

Very nice!   I think I would have done the engine bay black but apart from that I really like it. 

Thanks for the idea, however I originally made it black but I saw a Shelby at the Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup this year that had the engine bay painted the same as the body and it looked really cool, or at least I think it did.  Changed it to the gold as you can see by the bumps in the pics.

Great looking build. Nice paint finish and real clean chrome trim. Not sure about the interior, but from what I could see it also looked good. I would have had the rear end just a tad higher but that's just me.

I agree that the rear needed to be higher, but the cutting and chopping of the rear went a bit to much

That one looks very nice. The AMT '68 Shelby is definitely an old school kit derived from the '68 annual that has been maligned by some of the members of the board, some of it much deserved, This build proves that a good paint job, creative building, and a decent set of wheels and tires can make the old girl quite presentable. The last few builds of this kit I have seen on the board, including this one makes me glad that I did not get rid of mine. By the way. this month's Collectable Automobile Magazine has an excellent article on the Shelby Mustangs of this era.

I like to think I took a sow's ear and made a silk purse out of it!  I found that the kit had/has it's fair share of problems, but I knew that going into it. I decided that I was going to take my time and try to make it into a nice model, ot box stock. Thank god for DREMMEL!  The inventor of them should be given the medal of honor! 
The interior honestly is the biggest pile of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH you could think of.  I know now where and how to attack it in the future when I do another of these.  
It's all about making things fit! 

Nice to see on in gold as I plan to build one too in that color.  The saddle interior was an option in 1968 so no worries there.  Like many AMT and MPC kits of that era the engine compartment is pretty bad.  The GT500 decals on the real car  run along the bottom of the door which necessitates cutiing the into three pieces.  However, putting the lower like you did avoids that and looks just as good.  Nice job.

Nice to see on in gold as I plan to build one too in that color.  The saddle interior was an option in 1968 so no worries there.  Like many AMT and MPC kits of that era the engine compartment is pretty bad.  The GT500 decals on the real car  run along the bottom of the door which necessitates cutiing the into three pieces.  However, putting the lower like you did avoids that and looks just as good.  Nice job.

You are right about the side stripes, here's a great pic and others of the 1.1 cars that show it clearly at the bottom of the doors and not on the rocker panels like I did them. 
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwihqumkyrHVAhVqxYMKHUudB9oQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.barrett-jackson.com%2FArchive%2FEvent%2FItem%2F1968-SHELBY-GT500-FASTBACK-16348&psig=AFQjCNGVj5S0-gbbNz9KQRAVbD0FuIeItw&ust=1501523827935881

I was going to do them on the doors and cut them like you stated but I had a real fear that they would disintegrate since they were so brittle and old so I did it one piece to avoid that.  Since then I have found that I could have sprayed them with some clear lacquer and then cut them before soaking them.
BTW I used Testors 1244 gloss metallic gold decanted then airbrushed. I did 4 coats sanding between each one then used Tamiya TS-13 clear decanted, 4 more coats.  Lots of extra effort perhaps but it came out looking decent I think.
I used the Gold because I saw a SWEET 68 500 at last years Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup that was done in metallic gold. Man it was stunning sitting there in the sun glistening, it grabbed me from a distance and would not let go! Nice job on your blue baby in the pics. Keep it up!   

Very nice!   I think I would have done the engine bay black but apart from that I really like it. 

I agree, although I'd leave the firewall the same as the body color. Are my 74 year old eyes playing tricks or is the battery missing?

Edited by BigTallDad