Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model year id help

The first one can be from -73-87.
I am not sure now but i think the round lights was standard on those from the 70's
Mine from -82 have the dual square headlights on it
Revell as it as a gmc with a snowplow and a wrecker version of it with those round headlights

This truck has been customized and you could build a similar truck with any 73-80 truck. 81-87 used a different hood and front fenders. The recessed grill would have been earlier than 76. 79-80 had chrome benzels around the headlights and park lights. Some 78's may have,  but I know that all did not. 79-80 had a ridge on the nose of the hood that the pre-79 didn't. Silverados in 80 had square headlights. You could take the current GMC snow plow kit, remove the emblems, make a tube grill, and convert it to two wheel drive and make a similar truck as pictured. It may sound like a lot of work, but it would be an inexpensive alternative.

MPC did a '78 years ago, but I read somewhere that it is being rereleased again.

That kit can't be rereleased again as a '78 because it was an annual so it was updated yearly. The current kit that's out now as "The Deserter" is the last version of the kit. They could swap out the smooth side box for the stepside , they should still have the mold for that but it would take a new body with the older style fenders, new hood and new grille and new bumpers to bring it back to the '78 from the '84 that it is now.

This truck has been customized and you could build a similar truck with any 73-80 truck. 81-87 used a different hood and front fenders. The recessed grill would have been earlier than 76. 79-80 had chrome benzels around the headlights and park lights. Some 78's may have,  but I know that all did not. 79-80 had a ridge on the nose of the hood that the pre-79 didn't. Silverados in 80 had square headlights. You could take the current GMC snow plow kit, remove the emblems, make a tube grill, and convert it to two wheel drive and make a similar truck as pictured. It may sound like a lot of work, but it would be an inexpensive alternative.

Without digging through the stash to find it to see exactly what custom parts are in it, Revell did a custom version that was a stepside bed that was two wheel drive and reissued with a yellow truck on the box art. It was issued in the "Hot Rod" magazine series sometime in the late 80s or early 90s and also with a racing boat. 

188335-12135-99-pristine.jpg