Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 F-100 Ranger XLT

Good evening everyone. Here's the latest from my little corner of the world. It's a pretty basic mashup of a couple of Moebius/Model King F-100s. What we ended up with is a 1970 F-100 Ranger XLT with 390 power, 3 on the tree, longbed, 2WD. I used the majority of the '71 Ranger XLT to build this, with the grille, interior,  mirrors and manual transmission from the '70 Custom. I added the missing lower bodyside molding to the rear of the bed, since the wide style as depicted would've had that piece. It would've been more difficult to modify the rest of the trim to match the narrower style that didn't. The Custom door panels were also modified to resemble the '70 Ranger XLT as the '71 is completely different. As a first for me, I threw some details at this thing too. I used a MAD prewired distributor (awesome parts!), added battery cables, a starter solenoid, and fuel line on. Hindsight says I should've stuck some heater hose in there too. Oh well. Also a first, I threw some photoetch at it courtesy of Model Car Garage. I didn't have it handy when I built up the interior, so other than an ignition key and the rearview mirror, PE is absent from there. Yet another first was the use of Tamiya paint on the body. I have mixed feelings about it. It fisheyed on me like nothing I've ever used before, but thankfully nowhere on the exterior. I rubbed it out with some Meguiar's Compound, and while it's far from flawless I'm pleased with the shine and the little bit of orange peel adds to the realism (HA!). I haven't decided if it will wear the wheelcovers yet, so they were only temporarily attached to one side. I stripped the chrome, and redid them in more correct finishes and restored the trim ring chrome with my new favorite thing ever, the Molotow pen. License plate is a photo reduced real one, and I learned that in the '70s PA tagged all trucks "COMMERCIAL" regardless of them being commercial use or not. I wanted to build a very loose interpretation of a truck my grandfather bought new in 1970. To that effect, the blown truck tires, spoons, jack, and tools are a nod to Pap's nearly 50 years of trucking. I took a few liberties on the unknowns, since I don't have any pictures of the real thing. My dad ended up trading in the real thing on a brand new 1977 F-250, the '70 basically toast by then. The rust belt was not kind to these trucks! I'd be happy to answer any other questions, and thanks for looking.

70rangerxlt1.jpg

70rangerxlt2.jpg

70rangerxlt3.jpg

70rangerxlt4.jpg

70rangerxlt5.jpg

70rangerxlt6.jpg

70rangerxlt7.jpg

Very nice looking truck. As others have pointed out many don't think of the commercial license plate for a pick up. I like the open wheel look better than the full wheel covers. Your under hood detailing looks dead on. Nice spark plug wires.

• 2 weeks later...