Model Cars Magazine Forum

How does your family deal?

Rebuilding and hotroodding guitars is a lot more expensive, and takes up a lot more space in the house. She's not overly impressed with the music corner of the basement. Guitars everywhere, amps and effects everywhere, drumkit, etc. She likes the idea, but doesn;tlike the reality. 

Boy, ain't that the truth...

The fact that I have hobbies and interests, some that I've had since I was a very young child, that I refused to give up just because some one said so, is one of the main reasons I am single again after 14 years. Now I do what I want, when I want, I've never been as content as I am now.

My first wife not so much. We will leave it at that. After that, I made sure I was sure of what I liked in life and did not worry about other people's opinions. 

My second wife is on board 100%. She never complained about the time I spent working on models. I have a garage full of unbuilt models that she is totally fine with. I'e built models with all three of my sons. They would do the work while I guided them.

The best part was for my birthday a few years back she took me to the GSL. She was in the room looking at the models and talking to people. We had a great time.

This year she took me the the NHRA drags in Ohio. Another really good time. 

One thing we did this year was allow each other a play fund for what ever we wanted. Just like when I was 10 years old, I blew mine (and then some) on E-bay pretty fast. I had no idea how much I spent until it was time for some accounting. I ate some humble pie. Now I'm playing catch up to build up my fund. It's a bummer when I see a good deal on e-bay and have to let it go, but it is a balance between family, house, and fun.

Oh, she picked out one of my models that she wants me to build in real life.... if we ever get the money.

37chevy10-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Scott Colmer

Here's another line that works well from time to time: "I'm thinking of selling all my model stuff and using the money to buy a motorcycle. A big, loud, fast, noisy one. And then I could hit the hit the road for a couple of days every weekend. Maybe even ride out to Vegas someday. What do you think, hon?" :lol:

LOL That's a good one.

Wife is fine with it, I have my own hobby room, and keep all my model stuff in it. She's also fine with me going to the shows around here and dragging home dozens of kits I couldn't live without, and is fine with me going to nnl with my model buddies. I know she doesn't 'get it', but she never complains about it, and was pretty proud when two of my builds showed up in 'the other mag' after trips to nnl. My non building friends think it's cool, but all say the same thing, they don't have the patience.......