Model Cars Magazine Forum

Olds roadster

Rocking Rodney Rat

Here's another one from several years ago when I was a lot more prolific (built more models, too) than I am now. The body is from the Beverly Hillbillies kit and is an early Olds, so I'm told. The four-banger turbo engine is from an AMT mini Dodge pickup (forget which one now, but I recall it being molded in pink(?))... -RRR

Number 23 Roadster-1 (1).JPG

Number 23 Roadster-1 (2).JPG

Number 23 Roadster-1.JPG

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

Your Dodge mini truck would be originally an MPC 1981ish D-50 which is really a badge engineered Mitsubishi truck. The pink version was released when AMT/ERTL had MPC's old tools. I guess Round2 has them now and we'll see this kit again. Maybe with the four wheel drive?

Your Dodge mini truck would be originally an MPC 1981ish D-50 which is really a badge engineered Mitsubishi truck. The pink version was released when AMT/ERTL had MPC's old tools. I guess Round2 has them now and we'll see this kit again. Maybe with the four wheel drive?

Thanks for jogging the cranium, yes the D-50. As I recall, the bed tonneau cover had four subwoofer speakers molded into it.... -RRR

Very cool model!

I too have a hot rod based on that Olds.  I used the body, cut Jethro's hotrod pickup bed and I cut down the radiator shell.  I also used the engine from Jethro's hot rod.

That Dodge D50 pickup is actually a very nice kit.  They can be found at shows for nothing, I paid $5 for mine at a club meeting.  The kit is nicely detailed and the chassis is just screaming to be used under a street rod. I posed it under a 40 Ford sedan delivery.  The Mitsu 2.4 was the engine they used in early Dodge Caravans, I had one in mine.  I'm encouraged to use that whole turbo with the chassis in something.  The D50 kit also has 2 sets of  6 lug mag wheels which could be used under a 50s-60s Chevy pickup.  

I noticed you put six lug wheels on your car, where'd they come from?

Edited by Tom Geiger

Very cool model!

I too have a hot rod based on that Olds.  I used the body, cut Jethro's hotrod pickup bed and I cut down the radiator shell.  I also used the engine from Jethro's hot rod.

That Dodge D50 pickup is actually a very nice kit.  They can be found at shows for nothing, I paid $5 for mine at a club meeting.  The kit is nicely detailed and the chassis is just screaming to be used under a street rod. I posed it under a 40 Ford sedan delivery.  The Mitsu 2.4 was the engine they used in early Dodge Caravans, I had one in mine.  I'm encouraged to use that whole turbo with the chassis in something.  The D50 kit also has 2 sets of  6 lug mag wheels which could be used under a 50s-60s Chevy pickup.  

I noticed you put six lug wheels on your car, where'd they come from?

I knew someone was going to ask about the six lug wheels and I can't remember where they're from.  A Revell pickup kit as far as I can recall (?)... -RRR