Model Cars Magazine Forum

Next Tamiya 1/24 car is...

BVC500

Likely the headlights on the box art are from the 2016 car when it was first released. The ones on the green car are either the 2017 or aftermarket updates that are very new and not from the factory. But that's a guess on my part.

The Acura GT3 might not be a pipe dream. As of now there is Micheal Shank racing in the IMSA series, not sure about who in Europe might be running them, but I just read a press release that Honda/Acura will be selling the NSX GT3 as a customer car in 2018. I think they were hoping for 20 teams world wide. If I can find the article I'll post it up. IF that happens, Tamiya could do it, since they already have the rights to the street car. And its being used in the Super GT series in Japan, so a Super GT version might not be out of the realm of possibility. I am actually surprised that the AMG GT3 is up before a Super GT NSX.

Should Tamiya do either, I'll get a couple of each. And I'll be getting a couple of these AMG GT3's anyways. Lots of cool liveries. Especially in the European series.

Except that the M8 is a GTE class car, not a GT3 class car.  GTE isn't a class in Blancpain Endurance (or ADAC, Italian GT, Super GT, et al), but for the FIA World Endurance Series and IMSA.  The M6 will be getting an "Evo" body kit for 2018, which will end up making the NuNu Hobby kit a "body style" too late, however I'm sure there will be decal support for the '16/'17 seasons, and if it sells well enough perhaps they'll make the M6 EVO as the follow on kit.  Regardless the M8 isn't replacing the M6, it's supplementing it in a different racing class/series.

“The BMW M6 GT3 will remain the flagship in the BMW customer racing product range and our top model for the prestigious 24-hour races at the Nürburgring and Spa-Francorchamps in 2018 and beyond,” said BMW Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt. “We are working on an Evo package, to provide our customer racing teams with an even better car. The latest tests at the Lausitzring showed that we have made a big step forward, particularly in terms of driveability.” 

Thanks James, I stand corrected. I was sure I heard a couple broadcasters mention that the M6 was going to be replaced by the M8. And the M6 is a GTE and a GT3 car. Just watched the 24Hrs of Spa last weekend and Rowe was running the M6 GT3 in the Pro class...which the won last year, no so good this year...5th I think over all. There were also a couple others in the Pro-Am and Am classes too. But its good that they'll keep them around. I like the M6, nice looking car. As much of a Ford GT fan that I am I dont really consider the Ford a GT3 car...its a GT1 car. It looks like it fits in better the GT1s from the late '90s better than the GTLM's of today. 

Anyways. I for one welcome another GT car to the grid. No matter what any manufacturer puts out, someones always going to be unhappy. If its a vintage car, the race guys feel left out, if its a race car the muscle car guys feel left out. Hopefully one day, every manufacturer will put out exactly the right kit at exactly the right time that makes everyone feel exactly the same.....yeah holding my breathe on that one.

I don't believe that the GT3 NSX and GT500 NSX are the same spec car. Super GT and DTM unified their rules package so that the manufacturers can play in either one of those series, and of course the DTM BMW is the M4, and Merc is the AMG C-Class. That being said if the NSX GT3 can get 20ish GT teams AND it's successful, perhaps it could be viable. The AMG GT has been pretty successful in it's 2 short years if existence. I think the new Blancpain Asia GT Series (which has been renewed for 2018) being extremely successful also helps the sales potential of non Super GT GT3 cars as that series has two stops in Japan.

All I know is the MOOOOAAAARR racecars the better!

I don't believe that the GT3 NSX and GT500 NSX are the same spec car. Super GT and DTM unified their rules package so that the manufacturers can play in either one of those series, and of course the DTM BMW is the M4, and Merc is the AMG C-Class. That being said if the NSX GT3 can get 20ish GT teams AND it's successful, perhaps it could be viable. The AMG GT has been pretty successful in it's 2 short years if existence. I think the new Blancpain Asia GT Series (which has been renewed for 2018) being extremely successful also helps the sales potential of non Super GT GT3 cars as that series has two stops in Japan.

All I know is the MOOOOAAAARR racecars the better!

No, the NSX GT3 and the GT500 NSX arent the same spec car, at all. I just meant that give in the past Tamiya has done a lot of the GT 500 cars , their previous NSX racers, it was likely that they'd do that before the GT3 car. But, yes, if Honda can get a decent number of teams world wide running the NSX GT3 car, I could see Tamiya doing one of those as GT3 is becoming more and more popular. And with the different association pushing for cars to have similar specs so that they can be run in more than one series its good for anyone who likes sports car racing. I'd love to see McLaren's, Genetta's and other brands not in IMSA raced over here. Broadening the fields will only make for more entertaining racing.

Edited by Jhedir6

• 1 month later...

Kit looks great. Will likely pre-order one from somewhere. From Hiroboy it'll be about $76 CDN including shipping. That's about what Tamiya kits go for here before taxes and the trip to the LHS so if I go buy one it would be around $110 with tax and gas....I'll order online. And since distribution to Canada is awful for the most part it wont be available here till likely December. 

Now the big thing is decals.....as nice as the factory livery is...I want something bold 

Like the Linkin Park

Amg-Linkin-Feature-952x563_zpsdqmyziri.j

Or maybe the Gulf 

mercedes_amg_gt3___gulf_above_by_dangeru

Or maybe the Battlefield....

Yamaha_YZF_R1_Vivid_Red__Pearl_White_Pai

Or maybe, I'll just do all three....

Kit looks great. Will likely pre-order one from somewhere. From Hiroboy it'll be about $76 CDN including shipping. That's about what Tamiya kits go for here before taxes and the trip to the LHS so if I go buy one it would be around $110 with tax and gas....I'll order online. And since distribution to Canada is awful for the most part it wont be available here till likely December. 

Now the big thing is decals.....as nice as the factory livery is...I want something bold 

Like the Linkin Park

Amg-Linkin-Feature-952x563_zpsdqmyziri.j

Or maybe the Battlefield....

Yamaha_YZF_R1_Vivid_Red__Pearl_White_Pai

Or maybe, I'll just do all three....

HLJ's pre-order price is $31.82 US - https://hlj.com/product/TAM24345/Aut

The Linkin Park decals already exist - http://tailormadedecals.webshopapp.com/en/amg-gt3-bf-linkin-park.html

The "Battlefiled" (misspelled to protect the innocent) decals are being designed, although the Tamiya kit has the 2016 headlights with the twin headlights, someone - perhaps Tamiya in a 2nd release since they loved to do that with racecars in the past - will need to make the 2017+ single beam headlight buckets.

HLJ's pre-order price is $31.82 US - https://hlj.com/product/TAM24345/Aut

The Linkin Park decals already exist - http://tailormadedecals.webshopapp.com/en/amg-gt3-bf-linkin-park.html

The "Battlefiled" (misspelled to protect the innocent) decals are being designed, although the Tamiya kit has the 2016 headlights with the twin headlights, someone - perhaps Tamiya in a 2nd release since they loved to do that with racecars in the past - will need to make the 2017+ single beam headlight buckets.

Will the Linkin Park and other AMG decals on their sight work on this upcoming car or where they for an older model?

I believe the tailormade decals are from decaldoc.de. They say the decals have a white undercoat but if you look at the decaldoc.de website you will see a sheet of silver decals that have to be placed underneath the colored decals first. Good luck lining them up. Speaking from experience with his decals, I'll wait for Racing43 and Decalcas. 

I believe the tailormade decals are from decaldoc.de. They say the decals have a white undercoat but if you look at the decaldoc.de website you will see a sheet of silver decals that have to be placed underneath the colored decals first. Good luck lining them up. Speaking from experience with his decals, I'll wait for Racing43 and Decalcas. 

While those decals aren't as good as commercially printed silk screen stuff, I don't know how you'd even license the Linkin Park car at this point seeing as the band doesn't in a technical sense exist, and that was a one race deal for the '16 24hrs of Spa.

Laser printed and ALPS are two types that I really try and avoid if I can ,  nothing wrong persay , just not as crisp, and depending on the printer and what paper they use, it makes a world of difference, plus they are just a pain to apply.  And then you throw in the a colored body, and now you have to worry about some bleed thru, unless you double up, which is great if you dont mind buying two dekal sheets.

So I am kind if with you, I would rather have my options limited and use silk printed.

( Off topic side random note,  I am having dilemma  right now, I trying to chose between ordering some ALPS printed or silk from cartograf decals.)

Edited by martinfan5

Kit looks fantastic. I was going to get one, now I think it will be more like four. I was hoping for a PE/Detail Up set but havent seen anything listed anywhere yet. Anyone else?

I'm sold. Looks like a winner from Tamiya. Here's hoping this is a resurgence from them with race cars. I'd love to see them do the Ford GT, Corvette C7R, the new Aston and the new Porsche. 

Hi,

This is a fantastic video and the guy in it is very good.

He should do more vids, would help us newbie builders a lot.  And WOW what a kit!

Andy has a Youtube  channel called Andy's Hobby Headquarters. He has many videos. His main focus is on armor and aircraft. His build quality is top notch as are his videos.

Could you get away with using light gunmetal and using semigloss clear coat over it? It's hard to get hold of tamiya paints when they first come out in Australia.

Ben

The guy that build the one in the video shown earlier in the thread did that. TS42? if I remember right. I'll probably do the same as here in Canada it likely wont be till the new year before anyone has any of these let alone the paint for it.

The guy that build the one in the video shown earlier in the thread did that. TS42? if I remember right. I'll probably do the same as here in Canada it likely wont be till the new year before anyone has any of these let alone the paint for it.

I saw the video. He didn't state whether he put semigloss clear over it. I'm going to give it a try anyway. I've got heaps of ts42. 

Interesting car, seen them race, whose buying and building one then?

Mine's preordered. After seeing it in the video, I'll likely get a couple more. First one will be OOB and then I'll do more once I see who/what liveries get done aftermarket.

Edited by Jhedir6