Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Nissan Skyline 2000 GT-R "Hakosuka"

shucky

Its been a while since I posted any new projects. I took some time off from building as I didn't think I had the room for it since we moved into a smallish apartment. After getting the bug to build something again I realized the wait was long enough and I was determined to find a way. I was able to squeeze some modeling supplies in and around my tiny computer table, under the bed, in the closet, and wherever I was able. Happy my wife doesn't mind lol. Anyways, I have a few projects in the works and I will be adding them to the forum in do time. 

I've always wanted to build the Tamiya Nissan Skyline 2000 GT-R "Hakosuka" for many years, so what better time then now! On a recent trip to Pegasus Hobbies in California I picked this kit up in person. 

Early mock up's with some Volk TE37's shaved to fit aluminum sleeves along with mock ups of the engine. Valve cover has had its molded details removed (spark plug boots and oil filler) as those will be made & added later. Also playing around with linkage for the triple carbs. 

IMG_2596.JPG

IMG_2610.JPG

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

I wasn't feeling the TE37's because they were 5 lug and I didn't feel like converting them to 4 lug so I started playing around with various wheel inserts. First were vintage SSR MKIII's which were shaved to fit the sleeves and also some RS Watanabe's also shaved to fit. Since it took a great deal of work to get these to fit into the sleeves, I figured I had to make resin copies of them for future builds. So a trip to my storage unit resulted in me also being able to do some small scale resin casting also. More on that later ....IMG_2577.thumb.JPG.d97553d72a6542b8a80fcIMG_2668.thumb.JPG.209189a7eb58e94ebefed

After a few sessions of resin casting, I was able to make some copies of the wheels and valve cover as I was uncertain on design and color scheme still at this point. I also got the engine and related components in primer. A quick write up on the resin casting process will be posted in the "tips and tricks" forum for those interested. 

IMG_2644_(Copy).thumb.JPG.d6d3615a6547af

IMG_2645 (Copy).JPG

IMG_2649 (Copy).JPG

IMG_2639 (Copy).JPG

IMG_2646 (Copy).JPG

IMG_2678 (Copy).JPG

IMG_2656 (Copy).JPG

IMG_2679 (Copy).JPG

Edited by shucky

I also started fooling around with the carbs, fuel system, carb trumpets, and added some detail and mounting tab to the alternator. The fuel system is uncertain yet as I work on fitment. I made a mounting plate for the carb trumpets out of craft store tin and added intake trumpets from the craft store as well. These were shaved in the middle for fitment and will also be used. Early mock up's here.

IMG_2597 (Copy).JPG

IMG_2609 (Copy).JPG

IMG_2612 (Copy).JPG

More work on the Nissan S20. I found the Detail Master small exhaust flanges fit the carb mounting points perfectly, like they were made for this. I added them to either simulate gaskets or raw polished surface. Made a block off plate for the crankcase vent also which will be more detailed later. Also started adding bolts and misc. details bits. Excuse some of the flaws as I need to still touch up a few area's. 

IMG_2685 (Copy).JPG

IMG_2686 (Copy).JPG

IMG_2687 (Copy).JPG

I punched out some circles from black styrene to simulate the bottom of the plug boots which were removed from the molded detail on the valve cover. Just doing a test fit. The "bare metal" surfaces on the valve cover are Molotow liquid chrome.

IMG_2688 (Copy).JPG

IMG_2689 (Copy).JPG

Edited by shucky

Got a little time in this weekend. Started detailing the carbs and did a mock up. Next up is the linkage and fuel system. Also mounted the intake trumpets to the mounting place. I was worried about getting epoxy on the mounting plate, so I fastened the punched discs first, then the trumpets to the discs. Also added some PE bits. Lots more to add. 

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

• 1 month later...

This weekend I started scratch building the linkage. I tried to keep the appearance as close to actual photos of a 1:1 as possible in this scale. Mainly using brass rod and very thin strips of sheet brass with bits from RB Motion and Scale Hardware  

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

Thanks gents! I am really into vintage Japanese vehicles right now, so many projects yet so little time lol! Anyways, here is the legendary S20 as it sits today. Linkage mostly sorted, need to add each link to each carb next. Carbs and intake trumpets permenantly mounted now. Up next is perhaps scratch build a starter, mount the oil filter, fab a dip stick, fuel line, and other misc detailing bits. Should be deciding on wheels/tires and getting the stance/suspension sorted soon. More updates coming. 

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

• 2 months later...