Model Cars Magazine Forum

98 Firebird Ramair "Project Blackbird"

KWT

In the 90's, when GM changed to this body style for the Firebird and Camaro, I wasn't happy with them at all. I thought they were extremely ugly... the Camaro grew on me, but I still didn't like it. And the Firebird was never a blip on my radar... until I saw one certain commercial... Setting was at night on the city streets. And there was a Raven flying around in it. It had an eerie, dominating, monstrously muscular look that it never had seemed to have... and that my friend is what I'm going for...

Paint is Testors Black Lacquer

IMG_20170728_200717407.thumb.jpg.bdd3d19

Stay tuned....

Edited by KWT

Looking ravenlike! I have a 97 T.A. with the flat hood . corvette motor, too much power. At 112, you can feel it lifting in the rear. It has a wing,not a spoiler. Regular round town hot rodding and stuff , it's awesome fast. I can dog those new gto's. It black too.

Edited by Lizz62

I was working on these in a Pontiac dealership in Carrolton, Tx when these were brand new. That was the first year for the LS motor too and I remember distinctly feeling that butterflies in the stomach feeling you get when you're driving a decently fast car. I couldn't ever remember a factory car from earlier years doing that and it was a big difference over the LT-1's from the previous years. Not taking anything away from the LT's as they had their day in the limelight but those LS's were(and still are) da bomb!!! 

Looking forward to your take on this one Jeremy. 

P.S. I do remember that commercial. I think that's the one where it ate the competition and spit it out of the tailpipe wasn't it?  lololol 

Edited by mustang1989

• 1 month later...

It's been a little crazy at work the last week and a half, due to the end of the month... ugh... sometimes I hate what I do lol.

Haven't had a lot of bench time lately, so all in all not a lot accomplished. I did get all the pieces painted up... slowly picking out the details here and there. I did get the engine assembled though...

IMG_20170821_163422547.thumb.jpg.eda1ab2

and got the engine, chassis and wheels and tires married together...

IMG_20170828_204824985.thumb.jpg.ca405c2

We shall return.... Stay tuned...

WOW!!! This is going to be great!

Love these cars...

I had a 1999 Camaro Z28 myself and boy, it was a blast. It was a smooth GT on road trips and a beat when I wanted it to be. A real head turner too, since they'tr enot on the corner of eveny street in my part of the world. I remenber seeing a black 4th gen Trans Am at some meeting to and, although I had my Z, I was actually, really a little bit jealous... These cars look mean :-)

I'll follow this build!

Thanks guys! I do appreciate it!

Rick, I've never had any luck with just straight up black until the last 3 (Hurst, Camaro, and this one)... I don't know what I did different, but I thought about painting 10 or 20 bodies black while it was going so well lol.

Thanks guys! I do appreciate it!

Rick, I've never had any luck with just straight up black until the last 3 (Hurst, Camaro, and this one)... I don't know what I did different, but I thought about painting 10 or 20 bodies black while it was going so well lol.

It might just be the paint.  I've used Testors' lacquer quite a bit and it lays down very nice.  The clear self levels SUPER nice... little to no sanding.  Just polish out and go.

This looks great.  It's amazing to me how well these cars have aged.  They were pretty awful looking at first.  The camaro hasn't aged well at all but ram-air Firebirds, the WS-6 package, looks better now than it ever has... weird.

What kit are you using?

• 1 month later...

It might just be the paint.  I've used Testors' lacquer quite a bit and it lays down very nice.  The clear self levels SUPER nice... little to no sanding.  Just polish out and go.

This looks great.  It's amazing to me how well these cars have aged.  They were pretty awful looking at first.  The camaro hasn't aged well at all but ram-air Firebirds, the WS-6 package, looks better now than it ever has... weird.

What kit are you using?

Sorry for taking so long... I'm using the Revell 98 Firebird kit.

Haven't had a lot of bench time here lately... but I have managed to get a little bit of work done on this here and there...

Painted the interior in primer.. I know, dull... but I kinda dig the look. Got the body, interior and chassis married together...

IMG_20171021_185718262.thumb.jpg.9f50cc0

Hoping to get it finished up pretty soon...

Stay tuned...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Steve and Dann!

Looking GREAT!!!  -I wanted to build this kit a few years ago, but I couldn't figure out how to cleanly replicate the "honeycombe" taillights, so I decided not to build it. Do you have a way to do it?

That would be a negative. I tried on a junker.. didn't end so well.