Model Cars Magazine Forum

I am in the process of building the Lindberg 67 Olds 442.  Im trying out my first PE set, from Model Car Garage.

In the PE set are the 3 spokes for the steering wheel center. Do I cut away the rim and use the PE set or does it go over the stock part?

Also, any suggestions on how to polish/buff the parts would be appreciated.  Actually, any tips any one has on using PE would be appreciated. :)

Thanks

I purchased a set they sell for my 70 Buick GS build.  The scripts were designed to accept the red paint that is on the fender badges, etc.  They really made it POP!.  They are difficult to locate if you drop one too, they can bounce.  Working over a rubbery type mat might help.  I applied mine with clear acrylic paint one at a time.  Once dried I took a sharp pointed Q-tip wetted with alcohol and gently detailed the scripts edges.  Hurrying the detail process is not a good idea. 

Greg

Typically you would cut it out and replace the part, but it depends. Usually you will have the wheel center, then a tab on the end of the spoke that is not on the kit part, like an extended tab. If so, then most likely those tabs attach to the backside of the steering wheel after you cut the center out

Also, any suggestions on how to polish/buff the parts would be appreciated.  Actually, any tips any one has on using PE would be appreciated.

:)

Thanks

It might be easier to go over them with a Molotow chrome pen (before you cut them from the sheet, unless they need to be bent to shape first) than to polish them.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

It's a good idea to put scotch tape on the back side of the sheet of P.E. before trying to cut any of the parts off. That way, they stick to the tape and don't go flying off into the twilight zone never to be seen again.

Thanks Greg and Steve for the good ideas on keeping parts from getting lost. I did drop 1 part but was able to find it. Best not to try my luck with that to much:D

Using a Molotow pen is a good idea. Im going to try that. Thanks Chris

Cameron - I will have to look at how the parts are layed out. Thanks for the pointer, it gives me a way to start

Some companies PE sets are adhered to a rubber backing.  When I cut mine loose from the sprue, I cut away a bit from the part and used a sanding stick to sand closer to the part.  I used a lighted magnifier light to see what I am doing.  It is tedious work.

Cameron- I tried the sanding sticks and got some good results. The problem Im having is getting next to scrips or places next to areas with raised edges.

There is a strip that goes across the rear of the car, and it has the Olds script on it., or the steering wheel has raised area for the horn.    Its next to these places I cant get to and Im afraid to be to aggressive for fear of taking away the detail.

Greg-At my age, I use a lighted magnifier all the time :lol:

Thanks for the help guys