Model Cars Magazine Forum

My '77 k-10 Chevy. I absolutely loved this build & look forward to building more trucks in the future. This is my first taste of two tone painting & am very pleased with the way it turned out. I put a lot more time & detail into the engine & cab & I really believe they make the truck much more outstanding. If anyone has any comments, or constructive criticism please give a reply. I really want to get better. Thank y'all 

IMG_9612.JPG

IMG_9613.JPG

IMG_9614.JPG

IMG_9615.JPG

IMG_9616.JPG

IMG_9617.JPG

IMG_9618.JPG

IMG_9619.JPG

Maybe you should have painted the whole truck white, let it dry a day or two, then mask off what you want white and paint the green last. Then pull the tape off of the white and it would look neater, IMO. It appears that you left the molded white without paint. Two-tone is not the easiest to keep the bleed down. You did a fine job otherwise. Great truck in real life.

Maybe you should have painted the whole truck white, let it dry a day or two, then mask off what you want white and paint the green last. Then pull the tape off of the white and it would look neater, IMO. It appears that you left the molded white without paint. Two-tone is not the easiest to keep the bleed down. You did a fine job otherwise. Great truck in real life.

Thank you so much, will the white undercoat help with the bleed or is that all in masking? And do you have any tips on masking?

Bleed is caused by a couple things. Rule of thumb for me (IMO) is to always paint the model the color of the lesser of the 2 colors, then tape over what you want to keep that color after it dries completely.

First you need good paint masking tape like Tamiya. Press it firmly across the cleaned surface and rub over it evenly.

Secondly, I then do light coats of the main color. Too much at once and it will bleed. After it dries a bit, remove the mask slowly as not to pull off the paint.

You should have cleaner lines (not perfect). Doing 2 tone is easier when there is a trim or molding to separate the colors. Practice on scrap if you have it. Have fun!

Edited by Mahogany Rush

Bleed is caused by a couple things. Rule of thumb for me (IMO) is to always paint the model the color of the lesser of the 2 colors, then tape over what you want to keep that color after it dries completely.

First you need good paint masking tape like Tamiya. Press it firmly across the cleaned surface and rub over it evenly.

Secondly, I then do light coats of the main color. Too much at once and it will bleed. After it dries a bit, remove the mask slowly as not to pull off the paint.

You should have cleaner lines (not perfect). Doing 2 tone is easier when there is a trim or molding to separate the colors. Practice on scrap if you have it. Have fun!

Alrighty thank you so much!! I'll be sure to try that.

Great tutorial and as mentioned, practice, practice, practice! Good paint jobs are all in the prep and using patience to achieve top results. 

I also noticed that your assembly of the exterior mirrors was incorrect. Not a huge thing, and Lord knows that those mirrors are near impossible to get to look right, but if you are going for accuracy, study pictures or the instructions and again, practice!

You will get better with each model, we all did. Asking for help and feedback shows us you are trying, and that, along with having fun, is what this hobby is all about!