Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jim Hall Camaro Trans Am 70 Camaro body?

Maybe I haven't searched in the right place but does anyone here know of a resin replica body of Jim Halls Chappy Camaro?   I tried a google search but got nothing, The wheel wells are flared out  front and back. Or, has anyone done a detailed article on flaring the fenders on the AMT body?  I guess it could be done but a clean resin body already modified would be much easier than me butchering up a bunch of bodies :rolleyes:

Thanks JC   I thought I read where someone cut slits around outer edge , wedged it out with braces ( scrap styrene) underneath and did lots of filling and sanding. Or, did any of the kit makers have flares added as build options for 70s Camaros?

That's exactly how I did the flares on this one James. 

I cut around the lip. leaving it attached at the bottom. Pulled it out at the top,filled in the gap with sheet plastic and finished up with a bit of filler. 

Never finished the car because the strip bled out onto the white when I clearcoated it. It's now in bare plastic again.

111 1166

111 1171

111 1172

111 1198

Edited by Can-Con

Steve

Hey, THANKS! this is the post I had remembered seeing in the past. !!! I was beginning to think I was making it up :rolleyes: Maybe you had posted the project here. I just didn't remember when and where, heck I have a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast. !!  56 years old and getting older everyday

James, I have seen the body you are looking for and I think I have it bookmarked on my computer but I am in rehab for a broken hip and shoulder so it will be at least another 2 weeks before I get a medical release to go home to check. The site has some other great conversions, but I also remember hearing some not so great issues about receiving orders.

Rex, yes that is the supplier I was thinking of. Got home and checked the computer. Used my tablet in rehab but it does not have all the stuff I have bookmarked. Home now and just have to get my physical therapy set up. Having to be in medical rehab due to broken hip and shoulder is a, well you know how the rest of the saying goes.

Rex and Steve  A big thanks for the help and info. I have the decals and Minilite wheels  Just might start on a body this week , 

I hope you post your project on this forum.  Not sure which Minilites you are using but Fireball makes the best I've found.

FMR-074.jpg

I like the 70 Trans Am Camaro, looks very business like. I would attempt doing the fender flares, even if it takes a couple of tries, 2 kits would provide extra parts and still be cheaper than a resin body you may never receive.

I have to agree on the Fireball Modelworks Minilite wheels, like everything Joseph does, they are perfect and Fireball is 100% reliable.

• 3 weeks later...

I built a model of this car about 20 years ago.

The flairs were not that difficult, the hardest part was the full length front bumper.

At that time models of the 1970 Camaro only had the split bumper.

jhall1970camaro

Good Luck B)

Edited by curt raitz

• 2 weeks later...

I built a model of this car about 20 years ago.

The flairs were not that difficult, the hardest part was the full length front bumper.

At that time models of the 1970 Camaro only had the split bumper.

jhall1970camaro

Good Luck B)

No fair posting pics of the actual car though....... WOW thats nice