Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Camaro Paint job

Evan Williams

Soooooo a question about paint..... The yellow on the hood and the yellow on the body are different shades. I put another layer of paint on the body to try and even it out, as that's the lighter of the two. What else can I do to improve the look, and make it look really glossy??

IMG_9636[1].JPG

You want to make sure that you're painting your hood and body at the same time. I'd tape the hood in place on the body so it stays put, and then spray your paint per normal. Also, you'll want to get in the practice of starting your paint from front to back. In other words, start spraying away from the body, spray over your body, then stop once you've past the body.

Never stop directly on the body! That's asking for trouble as you're bound to get some kind of splatter or blob right where you don't want it. It also might be a good idea to spray not only in a straight pattern, but also in a criss-cross sort of fashion------counting your strokes while you do this helps too. If you sprayed three times for instance in one direction, then you'll want to spray the same number of times in the other direction.

As far as glossiness, that comes with practice using polishing cloths down the line. I'd practice on a junk body to get the hang of that before you try that on a project. Just like a real car however, you're going to polish each section out panel by panel. It's not a quick job, but once done you'll be glad you spent the time.

Hope all this helps!

You want to make sure that you're painting your hood and body at the same time. I'd tape the hood in place on the body so it stays put, and then spray your paint per normal. Also, you'll want to get in the practice of starting your paint from front to back. In other words, start spraying away from the body, spray over your body, then stop once you've past the body.

Never stop directly on the body! That's asking for trouble as you're bound to get some kind of splatter or blob right where you don't want it. It also might be a good idea to spray not only in a straight pattern, but also in a criss-cross sort of fashion------counting your strokes while you do this helps too. If you sprayed three times for instance in one direction, then you'll want to spray the same number of times in the other direction.

As far as glossiness, that comes with practice using polishing cloths down the line. I'd practice on a junk body to get the hang of that before you try that on a project. Just like a real car however, you're going to polish each section out panel by panel. It's not a quick job, but once done you'll be glad you spent the time.

Hope all this helps!

Thanks, and where do I get this polishing product? And whats the name of it?

A well stocked hobby shop should sell a polishing kit sold by Detail Master. If you can't find it in the hobby store, eBay certainly has sellers that have it in stock.

Alrighty thank you so much, I'll be sure to incorperate that into my body paint jobs

Out of curiosity, is that hood from a different kit? From here it looks like red plastic bleed-through. Did you prep the hood any differently than the body?

Rusty makes a important point about body prep. You hadn't mentioned what primer you used on the body. With a light color such as Yellow you would want a White primer as it would make the lighter colors look brighter. For a dark colored body a Gray would work fine.  I like to follow other builders as they go thru the process as I have learned a great deal from the other builders by doing so. As you have found out everyone wants to help you in anyway they can.

Hey Evan,

Also a gloss coat can lighten up the appearance of a finish in

most cases, and will make it much more shiny that's for sure.

But you need to use a clear coat that will NOT burn into your

color coat!  If you used Testors lacquer, then try Testors clear

coat on top. But be sure to do this before any polishing!

And again like Bill said, practice make perfect in painting.

David S.

P.S.-  The yellow that on there looks real nice to me, so I

think you are off to a great start already sir!!

Edited by mod3l Lover

Out of curiosity, is that hood from a different kit? From here it looks like red plastic bleed-through. Did you prep the hood any differently than the body?

That kit looks to be the Revell "Nickey" '67 Camaro, as it has that hood, and I can tell by the somewhat misshapen front end that's also on the original '67 tooling. As far as I know, the plastic is molded in white, so bleed through would not be a problem. 

Evan can answer for sure though! :D