Model Cars Magazine Forum

Darell Waltrip Tide Monte-Carlo Aerocoupe completed

mikemopar70

Hi!

Here is my latest Nascar project, it's the Monogram kit of course with Powerslide decals in the works!!

First it's been painted with automitive basecoat white and orange, followed by fluorescent orange from Auto Air.

I the shot a coat of PPG urethane clear and once dried i sanded it off with 2000 grit wet sandpaper.

I then applied the white underdecals and shot another urethane clear to even the white decals with the paint, once dry, i will buff the clear and i will paintnthe yellow stripe on the rear quarter panel and will compltete the decals.

La_Jvg9OoXvKFavr28ytCGAcvK18je-vi.jpg

20170730_111225-vi.jpg

20170615_070610-vi.jpg 

Edited by mikemopar70
Syntax

Here's a quick update on my Chevy!

last posted update, i covered the white underdecals (large tide on hood and numbers in doors and top), with clearcoat to smooth the finish.  

After the clear dried, i polished with detail master kit, to get everything smooth.

I then began applying the finishing decal, on the hood.. 

Next step i will do the yellow stripe on the quarter panel, in paint!!

See ya!

20170806_103652-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same air brush. I first applied white over entire body. The fluorescent red needs this as a base coat. I then adjuster the air pressure down and made the spray pattern small and sprayed the yellow only on the areas needed. On this version, the photo reference I had showed the colors fading one to another. The edge of the spray pattern creates the soft paint edge that creates the transition from one color to another. After the paint dried sufficiently I tacked the body to remove unwanted overspray. Do Not Sand the faded edges or you will loose the effect. I did mask the trunk to minimize the fluorescent red overspray being careful to not cover the yellow. Leaving the airbrush setting the same as the yellow, start with the blending at the yellow and work your way forward until your satisfied with the transition and open the air brush back and complete the front. After sufficient drying time remove the masking off the trunk, and tack the overspray off before you clear coat is applied. The fluorescent paint is not forgiving, if you get dirt in it you have to live with it or start over as the paint is translucent and can't be sanded. Hope this helps.

I have the same air brush. I first applied white over entire body. The fluorescent red needs this as a base coat. I then adjuster the air pressure down and made the spray pattern small and sprayed the yellow only on the areas needed. On this version, the photo reference I had showed the colors fading one to another. The edge of the spray pattern creates the soft paint edge that creates the transition from one color to another. After the paint dried sufficiently I tacked the body to remove unwanted overspray. Do Not Sand the faded edges or you will loose the effect. I did mask the trunk to minimize the fluorescent red overspray being careful to not cover the yellow. Leaving the airbrush setting the same as the yellow, start with the blending at the yellow and work your way forward until your satisfied with the transition and open the air brush back and complete the front. After sufficient drying time remove the masking off the trunk, and tack the overspray off before you clear coat is applied. The fluorescent paint is not forgiving, if you get dirt in it you have to live with it or start over as the paint is translucent and can't be sanded. Hope this helps.

yes helps very much thank you so much.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...