Model Cars Magazine Forum

Traditional Spun Aluminum Wire Wheel Covers

Ive been working on replication the vintage wire wheel covers made of spun aluminum from the 20's-40's era. Usually found on cars like the Stu Hilborn roadster..or any wire wheel equipped car that ran at Bonneville or el mirage.

Mine are tooled from resin, which il make my copies from..heres the master for standard 15-16inch wheels, they fit AMT bias ply style tires, and do fit Revell 1940 ford white walls, 1948 ford convertible blackwalls and 1937 ford pickup truck tires with some light sanding in the center of each style tires..

Im also making another but made for large diameter Model A wire wheels.. im still working on this one. But they fit AMT/MPC model A wheels from the woody kit. Id imagine the roadster have the same wheels and tires.

I should have these casted in the next few weeks.

Pictures are located here. Thanks for looking http://public.fotki.com/73OldsOmega/my-masters/

Edited by RyanSilva

Ive finished the Model A versions. They use the stock rubber tires found in AMT 's Model A roadster and Woody kits. They accept almost any centercap from a steelie type wheel with some sanding done to the backs, so they fit in the pocket, but there made especially for Revell 1940 and 48 ford center caps. Keep in mind, these are outer halfs, you would need to use the back half of the wire wheels in order to mount them, sanding of the stock kit lug and hub detail is required for the halfs to sit flush, but its very easy. I may make th e other halfs so the stock kit wheels will not eb required (cept tires)

SANY1577-vi.jpg

SANY1573-vi.jpg

shot for tire size reference.

Edited by RyanSilva

They use there on wheels, they dont mount over kit wire wheels at all.

I actually retooled the 16" versions above, they now use a 1940 or 1948 ford center cap from revell kits. rather than the 1932 centers from amt. Personally i think they look much better, and i adjusted the cap itself, so they mount into a steel wheel

Heres how the 16" versions are set up

4 steel wheels

4 hubcaps

4 center caps -unplated

These mount onto

Revell 1940 ford coupe whitewall tires

Revell 1948 ford convertible (woody also if the same tires) blackwalls

AMT firestone supremes and silvertowns.

And im sure a few more tires will fit also.

Price is targeted at 7 dollars for all 12 pieces, il have a more accurate price once i start casting.

SANY1585-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

SANY1590-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

SANY1591-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

SANY1595-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

do they have to be run on top of wires or can you just use them as rims. If yes would these fit revells 41 chevy truck? Oh by the way great work. Love the look.

I have some made to fit those tires aswell :lol: ..glad we think alike!

Ive always said, the 1941 chevy truck, and the 1937 fords from revell had the coolest and accurate tires, they look superb on salt flat racing inspired cars, this is what peaked my intrest to create these. Im still working on fitment with the 41 ford center caps fitting, il have progress report tomorrow.

At this time, no. Reason why, is there are so many different types, its hard to settle on just one design. But i made them so that there pretty universal. The revell tires may need some adjusting, due to there wheel back style but some minor sanding/cutting may be needed, but AMT wheelbacks should be very easy to mount.

Ive tried them with the traditional amt wire rod axle and wheelback, and they fit fine. They work with the revell 1948 wheelbacks also, aslong as you use the same tires from the kit.

I have some made to fit those tires aswell :lol: ..glad we think alike!

Ive always said, the 1941 chevy truck, and the 1937 fords from revell had the coolest and accurate tires, they look superb on salt flat racing inspired cars, this is what peaked my intrest to create these. Im still working on fitment with the 41 ford center caps fitting, il have progress report tomorrow.

Do you think that the chevy center caps will fit. See i want to run these on a 41 chevy truck. Thats why i asked and would just the cover would fit the steel wheel from the 41. Let me know on this.

• 1 month later...