Model Cars Magazine Forum

guidelines needed for forum use

A clarification is needed for site usage. Since Harrys passing the general section has turned into a total jumble of topics. At times off topics showed up. More and more general modeling questions are showing up rather than being put where they belong. Other non related topics are showing up in general.

Maybe another button could be created for flagging off topic items could be flagged. It should be seperate from flagging inappropriate behavior.

Also the mention of emodelcars needs to removed. It has not existed for a long time.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

Sooooo, does this mean that you moderators are not allowed to move stuff on your own, without something being flagged? There are two or three truck posts in the car review section that have been there a long time. Just sign me curious...  ^_^

mike

With all of the nonsensical, irrelevant, ego postings on this forum I think the moderators do an admirable job and have not noticed any increase of postings being in the wrong section.  If members of the forum would take a few minutes and follow Michael's advice above even the few misplaced postings would be re-directed to the appropriate section.

I think Bob makes a valid point. The description for the General board clearly states "For general model car hobby or 1:1 automotive related topics ONLY." However it has 9 pinned threads, and only one of those threads fits the category as it's currently defined. Something needs to change here, either the pinned topics get moved or the board description gets amended.

I think Bob makes a valid point. The description for the General board clearly states "For general model car hobby or 1:1 automotive related topics ONLY." However it has 9 pinned threads, and only one of those threads fits the category as it's currently defined. Something needs to change here, either the pinned topics get moved or the board description gets amended.

Nothing needs to change, although we will eventually get some of the areas cleaned up a bit. The pinned threads are scattered throughout the forum in hopes that more folks see/read them, doesn't work with some as they go straight to the new posts and bypass the pinned threads. Sometimes (not always) I may leave a thread in the wrong place in hopes that more folks may see it before it gets moved. Sometimes I forget to go back and move it. I have seen several members purposely post in the wrong section in hopes that more folks see it, or perhaps to keep me on my toes.

We are hoping to try the software update again this weekend (fingers crossed). I doubt we will make any cosmetic changes until after that is done and we can confirm everything is working correctly.

I want to make it clear I am not critizing the moderating. I jus4t can't see that more work needs to be made for the mods than necessay when some guidelines would help reduce the posting in the wrong areas.  Also I think that the report function be reserved for people getting out of hand and some others means be used for dealing with the inevitable missing posting of topics.

The report function works for just about everything. It does not automatically assign warning points or anything like that. All it does is make it easy for us to find the thread/post and it immediately sends emails to Gregg, Dave and myself. It is a very useful tool.

There will always be threads/posts in the wrong area, guidelines will help with maybe 20% of the current trouble areas. There is a lot of "I will just post here, if it's in the wrong spot someone will move it" I am used to it.

Sooooo, does this mean that you moderators are not allowed to move stuff on your own, without something being flagged? There are two or three truck posts in the car review section that have been there a long time. Just sign me curious...  ^_^

mike

Maybe it's time to look at allowing hot rodded and street machine pickups in the general car section again instead of having them in the commercial category.

I build street pickups and the occasional hot rod but I never build commercial vehicles and do not feel such  builds belong with toe trucks and delivery vans. The "commercial " section should be strictly for commercial vehicles.

After all, probably about 75% or more of the pickups bought on North America these days are for family use and never see anything heavier than grocerys or the occasional kid's bicycle in the bed.

I don't see an issue.  If anything, previous moderators (not Harry) were overzealous in their enforcement of categories and rules.  I cruise the board daily and I don't see anything grossly out of place.  I posted something I got in the "car model only- what did you get today?"  by accident and got whacked by a moderator.  

Now don't get me going about that category being broken down into three different threads... car models, other models and other stuff.. by an overzealous moderator who was fixing things that weren't a problem.  

Is this still a go or has the mission been scrubbed?

I have not heard back from Dave if he is still trying to do the update this weekend.  He should post an announcement as to when he will give it a go. It takes a few hours once he starts.