Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Ford F-100, old & used

Hi all, I've been absent from this forum for a while but I recently completed some builds (some progress, amazing! :blink: ) which I thought I'd share. I've been visiting fairly often, despite not posting, and really enjoying the quality work on display.

This is the old 1953 Ford Pickup, marketed by Round2 with the stock, service and custom options. What a fun kit! I really enjoyed putting this together, and I tried the rubbed-off salt technique to recreate rust. I didn't get it quite right, but I still like it. The various clutter parts in the bed are all rom the kit. I enjoyed this and now I want to build a new stock version, a custom version and maybe more! Thanks for looking.

bw1.JPG

bw2.JPG

f100_1.jpg

f100_2.JPG

f100_4.JPG

Edited by Simon
Clarify my point about having made some progress with finished builds.

Your black and white photos almost look like a picture of a used work truck in the '50's. I like the light weathering you did. Some say "less is more" and I tend to agree. I can feel my sweaty back sticking to the vinyl seat now.   

I like it!!! I agree with Dave as well about the black and white photos as it's a nice touch. Those acetylene and oxygen bottles rolling around in that truck bed with those gauges on and no caps would be a fun ride if they were knocked off. lol Good lookin build Simon.

I like it.  Most folks who try the salt effect way over do it and wind up with the measles effect!   :P

Two things you could do easily.  Look at your top view photo.  The squares in the corners of the angled bed side tops are actually stake pockets. They'd be deep so it would go a long way if you painted them flat black.  And the tire in the bed... drill out the lug nuts.   Then it would be smashingly perfect! 

I like it.  Most folks who try the salt effect way over do it and wind up with the measles effect!   :P

Two things you could do easily.  Look at your top view photo.  The squares in the corners of the angled bed side tops are actually stake pockets. They'd be deep so it would go a long way if you painted them flat black.  And the tire in the bed... drill out the lug nuts.   Then it would be smashingly perfect! 

Thanks very much for all your kind comments gentlemen, especially as I have not been posting much lately.

Tom, thanks! That's excellent advice on the stake pockets - I had no idea that's what those molded-in squares represented. I'll get my black Sharpie out. Good thinking on the lug nuts (wheel nuts in my part of the world), an oversight I can easily take care of.

Espo said...

"I can feel my sweaty back sticking to the vinyl seat now.  "

That's something I like about making models. You can put yourself in a different place and time, limited only by your imagination.