• Announcements

• General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 

What? Two More '63 Lightweights

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Sneak Peek.  Two more 1963 Galaxie Lightweight bodies are being prepped.  These two will take me longer as I am focusing on a WingNuts Wings 1/32 scale Sopwith Camel.  I will building these two along side the plane.  These will become Ronda's (Vintage Burgundy) and Ritchey's (Viking Blue) lightweights.  I will provide updates as I move along

Harry....I will provide step by step photos for making the Bostrom seats once I get to that step.  

63 Ronda & Ritchey Lightweights (1280x720).jpg

63 Gas Ronda 7.jpg

63 Les Ritchey Vels Ford Sales (989x1280) (791x1024).jpg

Edited by johnwitzke

Posted

SWEET!!!

glad to see you doing more of these, I've been wanting to do a 64 galaxies Holman and moody race car, this will definitely help!

Posted

john..............thanks for remerbing them (seats)  ... oldr-n-drt

Posted

I'm always excited when it comes to the lightweights..!!

Posted

Bring on the lightweights can't wait for more on your builds. 

Posted

I'll be watching!! 

Posted

Sneak Peek.  Two more 1963 Galaxie Lightweight bodies are being prepped.  These two will take me longer as I am focusing on a WingNuts Wings 1/32 scale Sopwith Camel.  I will building these two along side the plane.  These will become Ronda's (Vintage Burgundy) and Ritchey's (Viking Blue) lightweights.  I will provide updates as I move along

Harry....I will provide step by step photos for making the Bostrom seats once I get to that step.  

I've got a couple of '63s I'm trying to decide which verisons to build. Do you have any color shots of Ritchey's car?

Posted

Sorry but no color photo exist at this time.  Will be able to show decals based on what is known about the car soon. It was Viking Blue with beige interior.  All five pre production '63 lightweight interiors were beige.

Posted

Count me in on following this thread. While I wasn't a TOTAL fan of these cars, I did have a small soft spot for them. I had a good buddy that had one. I was always amazed at how that car could punish the back tires.

Posted (edited)

John here's a picture of Gas racing Strickler at York US30 1st pic.Does anyone make decals for this car or do you plan to make your own?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by bytownshaker
added info

Posted

Great photo, Thank you.  The decals are available from Jack Smith -Top End Decals.

Posted

Thanks for the tip about getting Gas Ronda's decals fromTop End Decals.

Do you know if Bill Lawtons Tasca Ford was one of the 5 preproduction lightweights? I've started to collect the necessary pieces to do both these cars.

Edgar

image.jpg

Posted (edited)

Tasca's car was not one of the 5 preproduction cars.  It was a lightweight car and had red interior like the other 200 or so cars.

The 5 preproduction lightweight cars were as follows.  All had code 24 beige interior and black steering wheels

Romy Hammes - Dick Brannan - Corinthian White / Beige Interior  - The very first 63 lightweight

Bob Ford - Len Richter- Raven Black / Beige Interior

Downtown Ford - Gas Ronda - Heritage Burgundy / Beige Interior (according to sources, car was originally Viking Blue the same as Les Ritchey car but repainted Heritage Burgundy)  

Vels Ford Sales - Les Ritchey - Viking Blue / Beige Interior  (later sponsor was Downtown Ford same as Gas Ronda's car) 

Ed Martin Ford - Rangoon Red / Beige Interior   

Edited by johnwitzke

Posted (edited)

Jack Smith Decals.

https://www.facebook.com/Top-End-Decals-134521409998295/

I used his sheet for my Reynolds Ford and Phil Bonner Thunderbolts. VERY nice stuff.

JackSmith-TopEnd-Decals.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Posted

John thank you very much for clearing things up for me. 

Bill thanks for the list! I spoke to Jack last night.

Posted

Hi John, great to see your further Ford updates, and new models.

Question if you don't mind:  Back in the late 60's there was a Ford Dealer in my area who sponsored race cars.  A real nasty SBF Falcon and a T-Bolt too.  Lynch-Davidson Ford in Florida.

So, did Ford offer the performance parts for these cars over the counter?  I was GM, later Mopar in this era.

I remember them in the garages late at night working on these cool cars....probably also partially owned by employees there.

Did Ford offer hi-po parts over the counter for anyone?

Thanks, Michael