Model Cars Magazine Forum

George 53's getto garage close to being finished

Guest Gramps-xrds

Guest Gramps-xrds

I finally got bored, so I went to the garage and started this for George. Got the walls ruffed in and added some of the trim and made 1 of the doors. :(:rolleyes::D

It's made of cresent poster board and poplar strips.

DSCF0640.jpg

DSCF0641.jpg

DSCF0644.jpg

DSCF0645.jpg

Edited by Gramps-xrds

:lol: HOLY SHAT Bill, I TOTALLY fogot to tell you about the pitched roof,and you hit it on the head! It was built Waaaayyyyy back in the 20's or 30's and was tall for that eras cars.It looks GREAT!by time we had it the wood was painted "Rustoleum Brown", But looks great all pretty like that.######, I CAN'T beleive you got the ROOF right!!!!!I can't wait for some of my old friends see it they're gonna POOP!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:;):huh::huh::huh:

Guest Gramps-xrds
:lol::lol::lol: I wondered if you'd notice this post way down here :lol:;) You say it was brown then, so brown it'll be. I just finished all the barn doors, so it's on to the man door next. I got most of the window trim done too. I'll have to stick it back together next to make the roof. I want to try some roofing felt for the tar paper and see what it looks like. :lol::lol:

Tha's lookin real nice Gramps, but don't be goin overboard! it's just for George fer cryin out loud! :lol::lol: you lucky dawg George! :lol: Hey Gramps, I like the effect you got on the posterboard from rubbing it? Is it gonna be cement, or stucco, or what? I decided that I'm probly gonna be building some more of these 125s & I best have someplace to put em, so I gonna build me a place too - "CBs Auto Body" Here's a picture of what I'm gonna base it on. Owned by my neighbor's Grandpap. Back in the day, he sold gas, and fords :) . I got my first car here when I was 15 -a 57 Chevy 4door with the 235 six in it. Bill, the owner, had a daughter, and fer her graduation he bought her a brandy new 57 Tbird, salmon ugly color, port hole removeable hardtop, and conti bumper. It was a stick, she didn't like, so it sat in his garage at home, right next to our yard, for 25 years! We used to look at it thru the windows. His grandson lives there now and restored it. Basically, just put new tires on it, washed the dust off and takes it to the cruises. I think it's got probly 3 or 4 thousand miles on it. I can guarantee ya, aint gonna be no model of dat in my place :D !! aint gonna have no stinkin, almost pink, ford smellin up 'CBs Auto Body'---

"If **it happens, come see the ######'n!"

CBsAutoBody-vi.jpg

Guest Gramps-xrds

######'n that'd make a real cool dio. :):D I sure hope you got a lot of room. That thing has to be 80 ft. across the front. In scale that's 38.400 inches. That's huge. :lol::lol:

######'n that'd make a real cool dio. B)B) I sure hope you got a lot of room. That thing has to be 80 ft. across the front. In scale that's 38.400 inches. That's huge. :lol::lol:

Thanks Gramps! :lol: I knew I could count on you to figure that out for me! :D I gots tons of room -for now anyhows - I may hafta move into an apartment one of these days, but until then, I'm gonna make this. Any advice on a measuring device? I was gonna make myself a 'ruler' with 1/25 scale 'feet' on it, each .48" long. I've done that before and it's close enuff for grenades :lol: . Lookin forward to doin the metal panels more than anything. Is George's ghetto gonna have a removable roof?

Guest Gramps-xrds

######'n, what I use to measure everything is a dial caliper and a pencil and paper. If you remember that .040 is an inch and .480 is a ft, you can scale anything in 1 2/5. You can scale it right from that picture if you know a few things like the door height and width and everything on a building is measured to work w/ 4 ft materials or even segments of it. Doors are 3 ft wide and 6" 8' tall. It's not hard to do, just takes a little time to figure it all out. :lol::lol:

Ya Georges getto will have a removable roof, if I ever get it done :lol:B)B)

Oh by the way, Thanks Neal

Edited by Gramps-xrds

:lol: Well if ya warnt so busy wastin time on da ######'n I could be doin a oyl change rat now!!! B) Oh, an you an the ######'n get FREE oyl changes FER LIFE!!!!,Oh, there is a 25.99 environmental safety oyl recycling fee thats in there, but HEY, we ALSO check da are inna tars.AND we top off ALL fluids! Such a DEAL!!!!! B):lol::lol:

:D Well if ya warnt so busy wastin time on da ######'n I could be doin a oyl change rat now!!! :lol: Oh, an you an the ######'n get FREE oyl changes FER LIFE!!!!,Oh, there is a 25.99 environmental safety oyl recycling fee thats in there, but HEY, we ALSO check da are inna tars.AND we top off ALL fluids! Such a DEAL!!!!! :D:huh::D

Whatta ya do bout them tars what aint got no valves in 'em George? :o

oh,and btw, do you work on pink cars? :P:D:D

:wacko: WhachutalkinboutCrap'n! this heres a FULL service alley gayroge.We'll PUT arevalves in em suckers!An NO, no pink cars less they's payin wit GREEN money!Cepn Gramps, HE can bring as many pink cars as he wants, after all he's still holdin the LEASE!!!But, he's gotta drop em off AFTER dark,And give the code knock so's we can get em in fore anyone see's em! :wacko::lol::lol: Edited by george 53

Guest Gramps-xrds

:lol::lol::lol: Just a few more things to do and I'll be ready to start paintin. Little more trim and make windows. Got the tar paper on the roof. (don't really care much for usin roofing felt, but it's on and it's gonna stay on :lol::lol::lol: )

I still have to do the worst part yet and that's make 6 sets of brass hinges and some for the man door. :wacko::wacko::lol:

DSCF0649.jpg

DSCF0650.jpg

DSCF0652.jpg

That's lookin mighty fine Gramps. I'll bet yer purty excited George! Hey, you said you were gonna make the brass hinges for the doors. Any chance we can see that? Years ago I did a lot of woodworkin, makin knick knacks, little boxes, wall clock, etc, and used to make my own brass hinges using sheet brass stock and brass rod. Twere'nt all that hard to do. I'm assummin yers are gonna be a li'l different from regular door hinges?

Ya know, Gramps, George, mebbe my computer screen is part o my problem, coz yer alley gay-rage is lookin kinda pink, George! :wacko: You gonna have a sign on it? :wacko:

:o:lol: An alley gayroge wid a sign on it in DEEEtroit? Is you lost yer mind?(oh, never mind I already know)That would be like a 16 yr ol girl sayin "I wanna be kissed for the 1st time!" to the inmates at Jackson prison! you'd be lucky if she lasted 1 min.!No, no sign. just some cars parked in the ol Farmer Jack supermarket lot(it was across the alley).Thats were the guys would park when we was hangin out.######, this is gonna be FUN!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Guest Gramps-xrds

Well George, I base coated it dark brown and tried to spray some horizontal siding on but I'm not too happy w/ how it's turning out. I'm gonna have to try something else or it'll stay in WV. I'm afraid it has to please me first. :lol::o:lol: Never fear though I'll figure something out.

######'n those hinges will be just simple barn type hinges. Not too hard to make just small to handle. And monotonous to do 12 of them. :lol::lol::lol:

An alley gayroge wid a sign on it in DEEEtroit? Is you lost yer mind?(oh, never mind I already know)
:lol::lol: aw shucks George - you say the nicesst things ta me :lol:

Well George, I base coated it dark brown and tried to spray some horizontal siding on but I'm not too happy w/ how it's turning out. I'm gonna have to try something else or it'll stay in WV. I'm afraid it has to please me first. :o Never fear though I'll figure something out.

######'n those hinges will be just simple barn type hinges. Not too hard to make just small to handle. And monotonous to do 12 of them. :lol:

Whatta ya think bout layin real type siding on them walls Gramps? mebbe bout a scale foot wide, kinda like wood siding & you could lay it on like 1:1, overlap it to get a li'l shadow line, then spray some o dat good ol Deetroyt alley dust on it. Since ya already got the trim on, ya could just butt it up agin it & if'n it all don't lay just so, it'll porbly look even mo like a deetro alley gayrage. Don't ferget the litter :lol:

I was just printin up my "CB's Auto Body" sign for my gayrage when I got yer message.....

Guest Gramps-xrds
:lol::lol: aw shucks George - you say the nicesst things ta me :lol:

Whatta ya think bout layin real type siding on them walls Gramps? mebbe bout a scale foot wide, kinda like wood siding & you could lay it on like 1:1, overlap it to get a li'l shadow line, then spray some o dat good ol Deetroyt alley dust on it. Since ya already got the trim on, ya could just butt it up agin it & if'n it all don't lay just so, it'll porbly look even mo like a deetro alley gayrage. Don't ferget the litter :lol:

I was just printin up my "CB's Auto Body" sign for my gayrage when I got yer message.....

Ya I already thought about doin that, but tryin to saw anything that thin is a real pain, and I only have one piece of .065 basswood and that wouldn't be enough to make a good start. I'll come up w/ some way to use paint. It may take me a few tries but I'll eventually do it.

Ya I already thought about doin that, but tryin to saw anything that thin is a real pain, and I only have one piece of .065 basswood and that wouldn't be enough to make a good start. I'll come up w/ some way to use paint. It may take me a few tries but I'll eventually do it.
I was thinkin of usin posterboard, or that Crescent stuff you use, for that siding. Oughta be thick enuff & you could cut it with yer knife. but you'll come up with somethin--Still think I outa me freakkinga mind, George?? :lol::lol:-- well not to steal yer thunder nor your gayrage, but I been busy mockin up mine. You was right Gramps - dat thing is huge, and it's only half there! :lol: guess I'll hafta start anouther thread...... :lol:

CBsAutoBody006-vi.jpg

well fellers, hope yer havin fun with yer Deetroyt alley gayrage, coz I sure as.. uh,--shoes!--am

havin fun with my gayrage/body shop. Wowser! good thing I gots the obsessive compulzive dizodor! :lol:;) coz that's purty much how I gets anyting doned. Yeah, George, I figgered I'd best build up the main building to see how much real estate I'm gonna need, coz Gramps tole me it was gonna be one big sumbitch - and darntootin if'n he waren't right! Guess you speak from experience Gramps, and us young punks oughta listen -the first time!

Wellsir, I think I'ma gonna hafta take up stakes and move this here boy. Aint nuff room in these here parts o Deetroyt :D fer yer alley gayrage & my body shop. I'm plannin on using the homosote (dont say a freakin word! ;) ) as a base for my gay--..I mean body shop, and I'm gonna mount it on a roll around cabinet, even if'n I gots to make one. I'll be able to store my 125 kits underneath and move it around for photo shoots. Just before I made that decide, I figgered I'd best measure it coz I'm gonna hafta move at some point and sure would be nice if'n it'll fit thru a door :D . The base measures 27"x41". Lotsa room for lotsa 125s. Gots tons of pix so far. Gotta load em up and start my own dio-thread. See yinzes there :D

CBsAutoBody026-vi.jpg

Edited by Crap'n Blaque

:huh: Well,######'n It lookin pretty true to the original pic, But it really should have that addition to be perfect! Why cantcha just make yer doors bigger so's you can rollthe display from room to room?Or better yet jus build you an addition so's you can have a room jus fer yer models? that way you can have a place to sleep after "Honey Doo" throws ya outa the house fer tearin up all the doorways!Just a suggestion, cas I don't wanna see ya sleepin outside.Unless you LIKE campin out! :huh:

Guest Gramps-xrds

Well it took a little trial and error, but I think I got what I was looking for on the paint. A little tan enamel on the base brown and then some transparent bronze lacquer over it and it turned out looking like old siding. :huh::huh::blink:

DSCF0656.jpg

DSCF0657.jpg

Dscf0659.jpg

:huh: OOOHHHH YYYEEEAAAHHHHH, THAT IS YOU BILL! you got that rascal DOWN! the color is right on the money!I remember paintin that rascal with paint that we bought at the Sherwin Williams close out store.The wood was so old that it just sucked up the paint.I think it actually took 5 or 6 gallons!! :huh: