Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reissue Wishlist

Casey429

Seeing the topic up in the general section regarding "Comfort Kits" got me thinking. There's some stuff out there that we're way overdue for another run. Some of the recent reissue news (especially the Cruiseliner) also got me thinking about this. That being said, I want to know what everyone else thinks. I'm going to post a list of a couple kits below, and we'll build it from there. Feel free to agree or disagree with me and anyone else, and let's have a little fun!

To start, I've got a couple wants that have been reissued recently enough for me to remember them, but I have no luck actually buying any of them. Some of them are a little outside that window, but there's no reason they shouldn't be out. Based on some of the recent groundwork laid by new reissues that haven't been seen in 30+ years many of these should be easy.

• "New" AMT Peterbilt 359. I have one from when it was last around, which I believe was 2003-04. It'd be nice to have it in the T-501 California Hauler and T-533 Wrecker variants. Pipe dream: double package like the 75th Anniversary Freightliner Cabover.
  • AMT Ford Louisville: Ideally, the 3-in-1 Dump/Snow Plow/Tractor, but I'd be ok with them separately. We just got the short hauler, this should be a no brainer.
  • Ertl International Paystar. The tractor and logger are probably out of the question, but with Round 2's track record lately I won't rule it out. The dump truck and mixer were last out about the same time as the Peterbilt. Every time I search on eBay, I get disgusted at what some people ask for Paystars, regardless of the variant.
  • Ertl International Transtar Cabovers. I'd much rather have the CO-4070A, but I'd take a Transtar II given the opportunity.
  • Ertl International 4270. Because why not?
  • AMT Autocar, dump truck and tractor. Same reasons as the Paystar.
  • Revell of Germany Peterbilt 359: It seemed like it was just here a minute ago, and I can't for the life of me find one.

There's a few more that escape me, but I'll leave it up to the rest of you to come up with more. I don't want to steal all the thunder on this one.

IH Transtar II - a no-brainer reissue and it'd sell like crazy.

Revell Peterbilt Can-Do/Will-Do wrecker - I know it hasn't been a long time, but they're back in the $200 range on the aftermarket.

KW Transit mixer - probably the holy grail of truck kits but it's never been reissued to my knowledge.

Edited by Mike77

I'd like to see the IH 4070A and 4070B. I had a few of the reissued 4070Bs (Transtar II) when they came out several years ago, but sold them when I quit building. Who knew that I would start again?

I would also like to see both of the IH S series trucks re-released.

Why not the KW mixer too?

MPC 1978 Chevy Pickup 

AMT 'Star Truk' 

MPC 1/16 scale 'Action Snaps' C20 / C30 pickups 

Thought this was a list for Trucks, not pickups. Just trying to keep it on target.

Anyway the KW Challenger Mix would be nice; but last I heard the Challenger stuff was still tied up in a bunch of lawsuits. If they still have it, could deal without having the Challenger nameplates on it.

Heard the CO-4070A mold was changed to do the Transtar II and wasn't able to be converted back.

Was the Diamond Reo Royale coe ever kitted or am I'm thinking about a resin conversion?

A real long shot would be the early Mack done by Premier in 1/32 if the molds are still floating around. A friend showed me the kit years ago and its been one of those that "wouldn't mine stumbling over that at a show for a reasonable price" kits.

Thought this was a list for Trucks, not pickups. Just trying to keep it on target.

Anyway the KW Challenger Mix would be nice; but last I heard the Challenger stuff was still tied up in a bunch of lawsuits. If they still have it, could deal without having the Challenger nameplates on it.

Heard the CO-4070A mold was changed to do the Transtar II and wasn't able to be converted back.

Was the Diamond Reo Royale coe ever kitted or am I'm thinking about a resin conversion?

A real long shot would be the early Mack done by Premier in 1/32 if the molds are still floating around. A friend showed me the kit years ago and its been one of those that "wouldn't mine stumbling over that at a show for a reasonable price" kits.

I believe that is right on the 4070A kit , but I think that the same was said about the W900 and Round 2 pulled it off. I know that there is a great deal of expense for such an undertaking, but I know that the A model would be a hit if possible to release.

I believe that is right on the 4070A kit , but I think that the same was said about the W900 and Round 2 pulled it off. I know that there is a great deal of expense for such an undertaking, but I know that the A model would be a hit if possible to release.

You are correct Brian, it was said the W900 molds were destroyed when it was converted to the T600A. 

• "New" AMT Peterbilt 359. I have one from when it was last around, which I believe was 2003-04. It'd be nice to have it in the T-501 California Hauler and T-533 Wrecker variants. 

If I remember correctly, the Cali Hauler was just reissued within the past year or two. I was just looking at it at a LHS a week or two ago. 

MPC 1978 Chevy Pickup 

AMT 'Star Truk' 

MPC 1/16 scale 'Action Snaps' C20 / C30 pickups 

I didn't even think of pickup trucks when I came up with this harebrained idea. Sure, why not?

If I remember correctly, the Cali Hauler was just reissued within the past year or two. I was just looking at it at a LHS a week or two ago. 

You are correct, but that is the one originally released as T-500 (tractor) and T-522 (wrecker) with the Unilite cab. I meant the new tool one with the later "1100 Series" cab. 

Anything in the amt ertl 1/32 truck range.

DM800 and DM800 mixer.

Ben

I second the DM800s for sure. The 1/32 rigs wouldn't offend me either.

DM800 For me too! Also the Autocar Trucks. Be nice to have the Log Trailer back too.

And, While not strictly a truck, the Cat D9 Dozer too. Correct the blank front grille, or offer a PE grille in the kit.  If I'm dreaming big, the Dozer, the Lowboy trailer, and either the DM800 or the Autocar as the prime mover. Not all in one box, but tied together with a couple choices of decals for all three. Use one large-ish decal sheet, and put it in all three of the kits. Have markings for all three units on the sheet.

And since we're wishing, how about a Modern, Oval Tank Trailer.

You are correct Brian, it was said the W900 molds were destroyed when it was converted to the T600A. 

Everything is possible, but it depends on how much of the original tooling was altered to do the newer Transtar II and if it's economical to convert it back to the earlier model.

DM800 For me too! Also the Autocar Trucks. Be nice to have the Log Trailer back too.

And, While not strictly a truck, the Cat D9 Dozer too. Correct the blank front grille, or offer a PE grille in the kit.  If I'm dreaming big, the Dozer, the Lowboy trailer, and either the DM800 or the Autocar as the prime mover. Not all in one box, but tied together with a couple choices of decals for all three. Use one large-ish decal sheet, and put it in all three of the kits. Have markings for all three units on the sheet.

And since we're wishing, how about a Modern, Oval Tank Trailer.

The AMT 628 Peerless "Roadrunner" Logging Trailer is still on the Round 2 website so it might still be some left from the latest run.

As for the AMT Caterpillar D8, I think it was some licensing issues last time it was re-issued because there were no Cat or Caterpillar markings anywhere on those kits.

Revell AG had a modern oval tank trailer, the #07554 Chromed Beall Tank Trailer....and yes I would also like to see it re-issued as well as the AMT Autocar trucks.

Edited by Force

The Ertl Blue printer International 4070 a became the 4070 B AKA Transtar II. The transtar II kit when first issued used the same suspension as the 4070 a. All Issues after had the walking beam suspension. The Transtar 4270 (actually a 4200) Was changed into the 4300, Which would be the easier kit to convert back as all that was changed besides the suspension, and engine was the hood. As the 4200 had a shorter hood, ertl just added the needed inches to make the 4300 hood. So Actually one could just shorten the hood from the 4300 kit to make the 4200, This works because the 4200 was still in production along with the 4270,4300,and the 4370 so the headlight area wouldn't have to be changed! I've included pictures of the 4070 a, the first issue of the transtar II and the second issue of the Tranny II

0trans.jpg

transtar ii 1.jpg

transtar ii.jpg

Ok Ill jump in here too....Id love to see these...

IH 4070A C.O.E.

IH F. and S. series trucks

KW transit mixer

MPC 71-76 Dodge vans

MPC 73-76 Dodge pickups

AMT Ford Star Truck or it in the old Early Modified Ford race team set

AMT 60-63 Ford pickups

AMTs Garwood Garbage truck that was in their new kits review many years ago that never seen the light of day.

IMCs old Touch Tone Terror kit with all the original goodies and version options.

Ertl Rubber Duck Mack

AMTs 67-69 Chevy pickups

Normatt Winnebago motorhome

The AMT 628 Peerless "Roadrunner" Logging Trailer is still on the Round 2 website so it might still be some left from the latest run.

Although that has been reissued not too long ago, when it comes to the International Paystar Logger the Roadrunner trailer in it is different than the trailer only kit. I didn't know about this until I was talking to a friend from a model group on Facebook, but the beam is two pieces (top and bottom) and the beam is also thicker for the Roadrunner trailer offered in the Paystar Logger while the trailer only kit is split into four pieces (front and back top and bottoms) and the beam is not as thick. The beam from the Paystar Logger is on the right and the trailer only kit's beam is on the left. 

Zdd1u7P.jpg

Edited by highway

Ok Ill jump in here too....Id love to see these...

Ertl Rubber Duck Mack

I bought the Ertl Rubber Duck Mack back when it was new in 1978-79 and it's basically the DM 600 with some parts added to it to make it to look more like the Rubber Duck truck...but they failed horribly.
I wouldn't waste my money on one if it came back as it's all wrong if you want to do the truck from the movie, I started to build mine back then but it was so wrong and I gave up on it.
The only usable parts from the Ertl kit is the front bumper and guard, the grille, the duck hood ornament, the roof air foil and the decals, the rest is wrong.
You are better off starting with the AMT R685 if you want to do the RS700L from the movie or buy the AITM Rubber Duck resin kit.

Although that has been reissued not too long ago, when it comes to the International Paystar Logger the Roadrunner trailer in it is different than the trailer only kit. I didn't know about this until I was talking to a friend from a model group on Facebook, but the beam is two pieces (top and bottom) and the beam is also thicker for the Roadrunner trailer offered in the Paystar Logger while the trailer only kit is split into four pieces (front and back top and bottoms) and the beam is not as thick. The beam from the Paystar Logger is on the right and the trailer only kit's beam is on the left. 

Of course, I would also like to see the International Paystar Logger kit again.

I was researching a future article and wondered about the 4070A kit as well.  Turns out that the change from the 4070A to the 4070B Eagle was more comprehensive than just the headlight bezels.  I don't have the list in from of me, but there were a whole series of changes throughout the tool....enough of them to make backdating the tool to the original 4070A a very expensive/questionable proposition. 

My sources at Round 2 know that a reissue of this tool, even as just a 4070B (last available as a new kit in the mid 1990's I am told), would be a good seller.  Unfortunately, there are unspecified challenges that make a reissue unlikely any time soon.  

TIM 

No semis for me, but there's a lot of pickup trucks I would like to have. First, thanks to MPC for the reissue of the Datsun pickup. I had given up on it and bought a rebuilder. Now I can get a couple more to build!  As far as others, I really want a 67 Chevy stepside and the 1960 and 1963 Fords with the camper shell and the go-kart would be nice though I guess the molds for those are long gone. Other than that, the 1976 Dodge, the 1950, a 1975ish Chevy and the AMT 90s Chevys and Fords would be welcome.

The 6 axle heavy trailers (gravel trailer, flatbed trailer and tank trailer) that Revell had would be nice to have reissued again
There is a 6axle flatbed on eBay now and its £350 ($450)..
There is also the 6axle heavy gravel trailer where the bidding starts at $199
Last time i saw the heavy tank trailer it was also at around $400..

Also any of their trucks with 3 driveaxles like the Peterbilt alaskan hauler, Peterbilt canadian hauler and Kenworth heavy hauler, Kenworth oriental express
The alaskan hauler and canadian hauler are between $170-$250 on ebay now..

Edited by PierreR89

My sources at Round 2 know that a reissue of this tool, even as just a 4070B (last available as a new kit in the mid 1990's I am told), would be a good seller.  Unfortunately, there are unspecified challenges that make a reissue unlikely any time soon.  

I'm guessing that has to do with licensing issues. Too bad lawyer's have to screw up the hobby for the rest of us, but I guess everyone wants a piece of the pie.  

Edited by Mike77