Model Cars Magazine Forum

Found an alternative solution

I have found an alternative to my problem I know it's not going to be 100% correct

Plus there's a reason to test fit or dry fit parts and if it works I won't call

It a clone but an example if Yenko had built a small block version just to be different

Edited by Iroc crazy

Doesn't the '69 Z come with 15" Rally Wheels? Those would be correct for a Yenko--well, except for the fact they may be sized for 15x5 wheels to use the '57 Chevy stock tires, instead of the proper 15x7s on much wider tires. The tires will be the big problem here, not the wheels.

This looks like it will be done in steps first locate the engine I can get the rims have an extra

Set for the 57 think the most expensive part will be the 

427 But if you look at a 427 Yenko and a z28 the yenko has a 

Longer front clip due to the massive engine displacement 

This looks like it will be done in steps first locate the engine I can get the rims have an extra

Set for the 57 think the most expensive part will be the 

427 But if you look at a 427 Yenko and a z28 the yenko has a 

Longer front clip due to the massive engine displacement 

Sorry to say No it dose not have a longer front clip ,it's the same size as the Z-28 .

and all the parts you are looking for are all on Shapeway you just have to look !

The pictures of a Yenko from a few feet away look like

The yenko has a longer front clip to my eyes anyway it will be a process I personally

Have never seen a z28 1/12 converted into a yenko 

Well Josh maybe you should go to a car show , there is bound to be a Z-28 out there !

The First Gen Camaros (and their '68-up Nova cousins) were engineered from the beginning to take the big block engine, so the "front clips" are the same between 6-cyl, small block, and big block cars. The only difference is that the big block Camaros HAD to have an SS or cowl induction hood for air cleaner clearance (and the '69 Zs with the dual carb setup).

All '69 Yenko Camaros came with COPO 9737 "Sports Car Conversion" package, so it might be said that mechanically, they pretty much WERE 427-powered Z/28s (except I think the Yenkos were available with automatic transmission and the Z/28 was not).

From its mid-'69 introduction, the famous cowl induction hood could be ordered from the factory on any Camaro SS or Z/28, and was available over the counter to bolt onto your lesser Camaro (and it perfectly fit the '67 and '68 cars, too).

As Snake says, the first generation Camaro was designed and available with 396 big block, you couldn't get the 427 through the regular dealers as it wasn't on the option list, but Yenko, Gibb and Baldwin Motion found a way to order Camaro's with the 427 anyway, it was through COPO, Central Office Production Order, where you could order fleet cars such as Taxi's, Police cars and other cars like that and you could order the cars with options outside the regular option lists.

I'm in the process of building a 1/12 Yenko myself. I'm using the engine and transmission from the 1967 Corvette, the Goodyear Eagle tires from the 3n1 kit, American Racing TTD-style wheels I designed and 3D printed, and a photoetch set for the emblems. The decals I'm drawing up myself and am going to print out. 

As Snake says, the first generation Camaro was designed and available with 396 big block, you couldn't get the 427 through the regular dealers as it wasn't on the option list, but Yenko, Gibb and Baldwin Motion found a way to order Camaro's with the 427 anyway, it was through COPO, Central Office Production Order, where you could order fleet cars such as Taxi's, Police cars and other cars like that and you could order the cars with options outside the regular option lists.

right now I just have to find a 427 with everything else with it but trying to plan it out

i plan to use the stock wheels find 1/12 scale yenko decals complete in and out and some how find emblems it's in the planing stage right now color will be lemans blue with white decals

As Snake says, the first generation Camaro was designed and available with 396 big block, you couldn't get the 427 through the regular dealers as it wasn't on the option list, but Yenko, Gibb and Baldwin Motion found a way to order Camaro's with the 427 anyway, it was through COPO, Central Office Production Order,

Supposedly, Baldwin-Motion didn't use any COPOs, all theirs were conversions of 396 cars. I said supposedly. I don't know whether to believe it or not. Hard to believe that they wouldn't have taken advantage of the COPO program to get 427 Camaros and save themselves some time, money, and work.

I shouldn't get too carried away found a 427 on caldron but it comes with options intake manifold and transmission options for $90 has anyone bought from them and would the 1/8 scale fit in the 1/12 Camaro thank you for help in this case

No the "1/8th scale engine will not fit in a 1/12th scale model... Unless you are building a Zinger. :) If I were you I would just locate the 1/12th scale 427 Vette model and use the powertrain from that.

Mark

That's just it finding just the engine is difficult NOT a kit basher 

Didn't think it would be much a difference between 1/8-1/12 I have the 1/12 Camaro and 1/8 Iroc 

anywhere else might make it in 1/12 or can I get the tri power setup and manifold to make it look like a 427 would that be easier

Edited by Iroc crazy

Didn't think it would be much a difference between 1/8-1/12 I have the 1/12 Camaro and 1/8 Iroc

:lol:  Think about it: a 1/8 scale engine is 50% larger than a 1/12 engine.

Just get a Monogram 1/12 Corvette, you might have to be patient but it will probably cost less than a 3D printed engine.  Be aware that the Monogram valve covers are incorrect and have 8 bolts instead of 7.

The thing is I'm not a kit basher I have posted a wanted ad on here

If one can't be found elsewhere I wish someone could 3-d print one 

I also thought getting cylinder heads and headers and covers to make a

302 small block look like a big block I'd be happy with just the block and cylinder heads

Should anyone who has them and willing to part with 

You will not make a small block look like a big block. The valve covers and intake are too big to pull that off. You need to learn to be a kit basher if you want to do this correctly. Kit bashing is not a sin and you could always build the 'Vette with the Camaro's small block in place of the 427, There were more SBC Vettes built then there were BBC cars.

You say you would like the parts to be 3D printed but you have to know there is a lot of finishing work to be done getting the 3D parts to look good. Especially in 1/12th scale. You seem to have limited experience with cars in general and using the kit engine will be much easier on the finishing and painting side.

Mark