Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trouble with Backbutton

Warren D

here's what I do to remove this issue... (and I'm doing it now)

I open threads I want to look at in a new tab instead of going to the thread in the main window.

this option requires that you set your browser to switch to new tabs when they are created (or not....you just have to switch to the new tab yourself), this setting is in the browser options configuration

to create a new tab to read a desired thread:

1. right click once on the thread heading you wish to read

2. a menu will appear, select the "Open link in new tab" menu item

3. your browser will open the selected thread in a new tab and switch to it automatically (if you have set your browser option to that, otherwise it will just create a new tab for the thread)

4. when you're done with the thread, click the X on the tab to close it and you're back where you were in the main forum page.

you can create as many tabs as your computer memory will handle

Edited by blunc

here's what I do to remove this issue... (and I'm doing it now)

I open threads I want to look at in a new tab instead of going to the thread in the main window.

this option requires that you set your browser to switch to new tabs when they are created (or not....you just have to switch to the new tab yourself), this setting is in the browser options configuration

to create a new tab to read a desired thread:

1. right click once on the thread heading you wish to read

2. a menu will appear, select the "Open link in new tab" menu item

3. your browser will open the selected thread in a new tab and switch to it automatically (if you have set your browser option to that, otherwise it will just create a new tab for the thread)

4. when you're done with the thread, click the X on the tab to close it and you're back where you were in the main forum page.

you can create as many tabs as your computer memory will handle

You can also press down on the mouse wheel to open up a new tab............at least most of them work that way. I've been doing that for some years now, as I can't always count on a particular browser to take me back where I left off. 

And yes, there are times I've used the back button here, and it just ain't cooperatin'! :huh:

Speaking of tabs, I wish Chrome (my primary browser) had a "colorful" tabs extensions like they do in Firefox. I like the contrast of different tabs for different threads, but what they do have is very buggy and not user friendly. I'm a bit tired of the monochromatic look, and may soon switch back to Firefox.

Bill, I've been using FF for a while now, and have never seen the multi colored tabs. ???

Russ

The colorful tabs was an add on/extension for Firefox. You'd have to check in their extensions section to see if they still offer it. They may not as IIRC, it was offered by a third party, and they may not have kept up to date with Firefox's latest and greatest upgrades.

I liked it as it made for a nice contrast of what tabs were opened, and they also changed each time you would open up a new tab. Not the same 'ole boring monochromatic theme that Chrome has.

It's one of the reasons I type my posts in a different color----- 1) I can see things much better, 2) it spruces up the page a bit from the same boring black font on a white screen. ;)

I'm glad that I saw this. I thought I was alone. I'm using Firefox on Windows 7 and can't back out. I also have a continuing on and off again circle in the top left of the page  as if the page is continuing to try to reload. To back out I have to go back to the top of the page every time and re-click "Forum" and start again.