Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revellogram AAR Cuda

randyc

4 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Because they fixed that Helen Keller-obvious drip molding mistake, I was pleased enough with the '07 re-do at first that it took me a while for everything else wrong with the body to sink in...

P3241280-vi.jpg

About a decade ago, I started trying to fix that one. I moved the rear edge of the roof back about 1/8", then shaved down the tops of the rear quarters to a more accurate shape. I ought to dig that thing out and finish it--it might be better looking than the new one. 

70CudaAARWIP03.jpg.a578eb2502a126c904609c05a1789585.jpg

70CudaAARWIP11.jpg.818e91f29e986e7048e0a6d4a769926a.jpg

70CudaAARWIP16.jpg.6a328e21b2c7cac1dc2addae16f9fe28.jpg

If nothing else , the c.1995 and c.2007 issues ( botched attempts ) are good for their better engine compartment pieces for use in the 1971 Hemi 'Cuda . Same goes for its unfettered chassis (borrowed from the Monogram 1970 Challenger T/A from c.1983) --- no moulded-in exhaust with the undersized mufflers !

Edited by 1972coronet

13 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

YEAH, you OUGHTTA.

I recall being mightily impressed with that when you first broke it out.  Might just follow your m o  if I should decide to correct this one along with the new kit and the one I did in '95...

Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe I'll drag it out for Round 5 of the BOYD Completion Build, if we have one. 

All I have to do is trim the left rear fender to match the corrected right one, and then "pull out" the overly under-tucked lower rear fenders behind the rear wheels, a job I haven't been looking forward to. (And then matching up the rear lower pan to that.) What's kept me from finishing it was realizing that even if I got the body mods done, neither set of kit stripe decals would fit my new contours. But the decals in the NEW kit might work fine. It'll be great if they come in both black and white, so I can build both kits, both the new one and my old one. 

Not long ago I bought a glue bomb JoHan '71 S&M Cuda, which I"m planning to use the new '70 grille in and build a nice S&M '70 racer, kitbashing the best parts of both kits. 

BTW, if you decide to follow my lead on the 2nd gen AAR kit, if I were doing it again, I'd move the roof back just a hair MORE--maybe about .040 more. I was definitely on the right trail with my mod, but didn't go QUOTE far enough. It never occurred to me at the time to take measurements or comparisons with the JoHan '71 body, I just did it by guess and eyeball. 

And yes folks, the original post was about the OLD AAR Cuda made from the Challenger with my peronal opinion on how the new version looks in relation to the old one.  

Richard, I wouldn't even begin to undertake a correction of the proportion you have.  But I see some things with the new body feel wonky to me, but can't exactly identify what.  It is a better "'Cuda shaped object" than the previous AAR.