Model Cars Magazine Forum

UPDATED 8/11! What Would You Pay for a New 1/25 '64 Chev Nova SS?

Snake45

Would you believe $12.99?

http://www.diecastmodelswholesale.com/1964-chevrolet-nova-ss-burgundy-muscle-car-collection-1-25-diecast-model-car-by-new-ray/

Okay, it's a diecast, but I've found that some of these things respond remarkably well to a little Model-Fu and can sit proudly on the shelf with good curbside kits. Especially when no kit is available.

They're available in "burgundy" and black. I just ordered one of each and the total with shipping is still less than one resin '63-'65 Chevy II/Nova repop.

When I get them, I'll post pics and a brief review, if anyone's interested.

Edited by Snake45

This would probably be better suited in the diecast section.

Yeah, but unlike many diecasts, it's a scale and a subject and a price point that will be of interest to many of us car modelers. I thought maybe some would see the news here who never look in the diecast section. B)

Yeah, but unlike many diecasts, it's a scale and a subject and a price point that will be of interest to many of us car modelers. I thought maybe some would see the news here who never look in the diecast section. B)

Its still a diecast, so it is like every other diecast ;)

Edited by martinfan5

Actually, that Chevy II isn't bad at all!

I don't care if it's diecast...........as long as it looks right. The bigger turnoffs are the shut lines for the opening doors and hood. That's one of the things I'd try to fix if I were to build it------I'd just epoxy them shut. No different than if it were a plastic kit as most of them are molded in shut anyway. ;)

Looks nice..looks better than the Trumpeter kit.   There are many interesting subjects available only in die cast that haven't been available in kits and never will be available in kits.   I recently got the early 60s Econoline pickup and van in 1/25th from First Gear and Norscot's '14 Silverado and '15 Tahoe, all nicely done with reasonable detail. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Thank you Dodge Driver and Mr. Obsessive! You get it. B)

Sadly, almost no one else will now, as we've been shoved down into the seldom-opened diecast closet. Oh well, I tried. :(

I'm always looking for new ways to start unrequited projects :D

Actually, once I find the right tires befitting a big sedan, I plan to turn a Greenlight Bluesmobile into a de-commissioned police car.

http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-4df9uz5/products/12746/images/35398/s_l1600_36__83258.1449497339.320.280.jpg?c=2

http://fcollect.com/images/1974-dodge-monaco-for-sale-1.jpg

The body lines look nice. If the engine and interior look as bad as their 62 Impala and 70 El Camino, I would definitely pass. I don't have that much love for the subject personally.

I've never seen their '62 Impala, but I have the '70 Elky. Frankly I don't care about the engine and interior. The body doesn't look too bad except for the roof, which they screwed up a little. I laid 6 or 8 hours of Snake-Fu on it and it fills the '70 El Camino hole on my shelf quite nicely, though I admit I'm not the world's biggest fan of that car. 70ElCaminoDC09.thumb.jpg.770761e0003afdd

70ElCaminoDC15.thumb.jpg.e02273a89ffea23

I've never seen their '62 Impala, but I have the '70 Elky. Frankly I don't care about the engine and interior. The body doesn't look too bad except for the roof, which they screwed up a little. I laid 6 or 8 hours of Snake-Fu on it and it fills the '70 El Camino hole on my shelf quite nicely, though I admit I'm not the world's biggest fan of that car. 70ElCaminoDC09.thumb.jpg.770761e0003afdd

70ElCaminoDC15.thumb.jpg.e02273a89ffea23

I haven't seen either one of them myself,  but your link showed related items at the bottom of the page. The 62's engine didn't impress much. Your extra detail on the Elky looks good. 

71843bl_5__25078.1478544856.500.500.jpg

Update: Got 'em yesterday. Only had time for a VERY quick look (@ 5 minutes) but here's my initial impressions:

*It's 1/24, not 1/25. At least it's a little bigger than the AMT Twister funny car body. Not a deal-breaker for me, as I have a number of other 1/24 diecast (and even kit) Chevies it can live with. And, the wheel openings are kinda small on a 1G Nova (did they come with 13" wheels? I know some of them had 4-bolt wheels), so many 1/25 tire/wheel combos should fill them quite nicely.

*Overall body shape is quite nice. Looks pretty accurate in shape and proportion, except for the roof might be slightly flatter than it should be (kind of like the Revell '65 Chevelle body), but overall, it really looks like a 1G Nova. I'd say it's AT LEAST as accurate as the '70 Elky I posted above--probably better. (From comments on other kits I've seen posted here, some modelers won't see the problem at all, others will find it disqualifying. I'll live with it.)

*The hood on my burgundy one has noticeable orange peel. A little disappointing, but I can live with it (or just repaint it).

*As someone above pointed out, the door gaps are noticeable. Dunno if this is fixable with some kind of adjustment. I've seen worse, but I've also seen lots better. I wish they'd made the doors non-opening. I'm also glad I bought one in black, where this shouldn't be quite so noticeable.

So, overall, I'm not displeased. They seem to be well worth what I paid ($36 for the pair, including shipping), and I'd buy them again. I hope to have pictures and maybe a more detailed review up this weekend.

RATING: Snakeworthy! B)

Would you believe $12.99?

http://www.diecastmodelswholesale.com/1964-chevrolet-nova-ss-burgundy-muscle-car-collection-1-25-diecast-model-car-by-new-ray/

Okay, it's a diecast, but I've found that some of these things respond remarkably well to a little Model-Fu and can sit proudly on the shelf with good curbside kits. Especially when no kit is available.

They're available in "burgundy" and black. I just ordered one of each and the total with shipping is still less than one resin '63-'65 Chevy II/Nova repop.

When I get them, I'll post pics and a brief review, if anyone's interested.

Hey I just got this same email.I guess I'm on their emailing list.The car is nice,but I like the 66-67 Novas the best.

I'm always looking for new ways to start unrequited projects :D

Actually, once I find the right tires befitting a big sedan, I plan to turn a Greenlight Bluesmobile into a de-commissioned police car.

http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-4df9uz5/products/12746/images/35398/s_l1600_36__83258.1449497339.320.280.jpg?c=2

http://fcollect.com/images/1974-dodge-monaco-for-sale-1.jpg

Also I would love to find one of these Dodges.Great un marked police car...Very cool