Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 August 2017 Product Spotlight

Although it's been done before as an annual, the '65 Barracuda would be a natural for Moebius to tool up for instance. The '75 Trans Am last saw its duty as an annual also, but was updated to a '76, '77', '78...etc.

That would be a tough sell unfortunately, as there's the newly reissued '79 that's out. Different front and rear ends of course, but essentially the same car.

Call me crazy, but those smogger '74-'76 T/A's (along with GM's Colonnade cars of that era) are some of the kits I'd most like to see!

I'd love to see more of them...Firebird Formulas, Chevelle SS and Laguna, '73-75 Grand Am, '77 Can Am, '73 Buick Gran Sport, etc...I like that era of GM cars...

Call me crazy, but those smogger '74-'76 T/A's (along with GM's Colonnade cars of that era) are some of the kits I'd most like to see!

I agree completely . The 1971-1976 Firebird / Trans Am ( Hello ? Super Duty ? Do you accept the charges ? ) are often overshadowed by the ( yucky ) 1977-1981 models . *Blech* .

The 1973-1977 Colonnade A-bods are beautiful ! Maybe because I grew up when they were new , but I have a sentimental , soft spot for them . The Oldsmobile Cutlass , Buick Skylark / Century , and Pontiac Grand Am are the best of the litter , with the Chevelle / Malibu being right there ( especially the 1973 SS , and the 1974-1975 Laguna S-3 ) . When the (dreaded) square headlights found their way into the mix , only the Olds Cutlass maintained its classy appearance . 

Well , it looks like the 1959 El Camino is getting the nod this time . Now I can add another one to my "To Do" stack ; this time I can modify to my heart's content !

Good to see the El Camino back again; wish they had done some gauge face and upholstery decals, but hopefully the '60 Mercury grille will be there along with the tonneau cover (good source for tuck and roll interior panels).

Look for it in the large "donut" box. Does Hobby Lobby stock car kits in that size?

Though at the same time, good grief its a dull month for kit builders otherwise.

I couldn't help but think the same thing as I finished watching the video. The '59 El Camino while it's good to see it back, I've already got two of them I've never built.

One reissue I think from the '80's, and another reissue from RC2 when they were around. I do like the box art of this latest reissue, so for that alone I may get another, ditching the Plain Jane RC2 one. That Camaro is interesting and I can't help but wonder if that's the old Revell issue which was tooled without T-Tops. I may be biased, but that Gen Camaro to me looks its best with the T-Tops, on or off.

One reissue I think from the '80's, and another reissue from RC2 when they were around. I do like the box art of this latest reissue, so for that alone I may get another, ditching the Plain Jane RC2 one. That Camaro is interesting and I can't help but wonder if that's the old Revell issue which was tooled without T-Tops. I may be biased, but that Gen Camaro to me looks its best with the T-Tops, on or off.

Huh?   It's the AMT '83 Camaro...no way would Round 2 be reissuing a Revell kit...was reissued around 15 years ago with a red car on the box.   The original issue also had a red car on the box.

s-l64.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

Huh?   It's the AMT '83 Camaro...no way would Round 2 be reissuing a Revell kit...was reissued around 15 years ago with a red car on the box. 

Well, forgive me! I'm not up on who reissues what, and there's nothing written that says a manufacturer can't "borrow" or buy another manufacturers tooling. Witness Johan and AMT back in the '70's. :rolleyes:

I too am puzzled as to the genesis of the '83 Camaro. I have an MPC '83 Camaro promo and an AMT Heritage Edition Z28 kit. Both are very similar in design.

Is this re-issue different (better?) than what I'm currently familiar with?

Remember, when these were originally tooled AMT and MPC were separate companies... the ERTL acquisition of MPC didn't happen until 1987-1988.   The AMT and MPC '83 Camaros are unrelated.     However,from 1989-1992 the former MPC tool (released as MPC annuals from '82-88) was released as updated annuals labeled as AMT  (Starting in 1989, current MPC tools were reboxed under the AMT name--the MPC name basically was shelved until the Round 2 era).   The AMT tool '83 Camaro was never updated.

s-l64.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

Also, I want to add that most (if not all) AMT's kits I've seen of this Gen Camaro had T-Tops. The Revell '83 Camaro version that I can remember as I built one way back when it came out had a solid roof. That's why I was thinking it was a Revell............. :huh: 

Also, I want to add that most (if not all) AMT's kits I've seen of this Gen Camaro had T-Tops. The Revell '83 Camaro version that I can remember as I built one way back when it came out had a solid roof. That's why I was thinking it was a Revell............. :huh: 

The ones with the T-Tops are MPC-origin kits.   After the ERTL acquisition of MPC, the MPC annual Camaro was rebranded as an AMT for 89-92 annual releases.  Same with the MPC 3rd gen Firebird. The AMT '83 was essentially a one-off from '83 (there was a race car version also). 

s-l64.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

Me....Ill be happy if they ever re-issue a 75 Firebird or TA kit....I want to build a replica of my old car I once owned I wish I could have kept.

Alas, that would require some retooling as the original MPC annual was modified into the '76, then the '77...