Model Cars Magazine Forum

'35 Mercedes Benz Hot Rod - "Mad'am"- Update 01/10/18 Page 4

Joca

I agree with all the other comments. My thought is this would look good and mean on blackwall tires. I'll be eager to see what you do next.

Thank you. My first choice is to go with the white walls but let me think about the blackwalls. Depends the color I will choice for the body.

• 1 month later...

If you are open to suggestions....I personally would shorten the huge cowl section that is covering the rear section of the engine.Visually it drags out what is already a very long front end.You might have to shorten the chassis a little bit but that will of course depend how much you shorten that cowl section.Just a suggestion from an old hot rod model builder.Good luck with what ever you decide to do and be sure to post your progress here.

If you are open to suggestions....I personally would shorten the huge cowl section that is covering the rear section of the engine.Visually it drags out what is already a very long front end.You might have to shorten the chassis a little bit but that will of course depend how much you shorten that cowl section.Just a suggestion from an old hot rod model builder.Good luck with what ever you decide to do and be sure to post your progress here.

Hello misterNNL (Tom). Your suggestion is very welcome. I'm still working on the front suspension but already looking at the overall aesthetics of the car. I can say that I really liked your idea and I'll think about it. Thank you for your visit and for sharing your experience. This was very important to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. I would like to say thank's for all your visits and comments. Very kind of all of you. :lol:

A little update, see on the phtotos please: have removed all the front suspension looking a way to build a very low front end; following the suggestion from misterNNL removed all the huge front cowl, now I need to redone the interior firewall panels and shorten the chassis and more other things are coming from sure. The best thing about all this stuff is I'm having a lot of fun with this build. :D The last photo is only to compare the size between the Mercedes and my '32 Roadster.

See you soon...

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

Like where this is going. The old Rommel's Rod also uses the 35 Mercedes. To lower the stance i Zed the front and not sure what you call the rear mod but with wheels in back you could Z there also. Keep on keep'n on.

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

Edited by slownlow

Joca I like what you are doing with this. Hot Rod this this benz up. Good idea with the last photo. 

Also welcome and keep building no matter how long it takes. 

Hi 1930fordpickup. Glad you like the way this Benz are going. Thank you for your welcome words and you're right: no matter how long it takes...!!!

Thank you for your visit and best regards.

Like where this is going. The old Rommel's Rod also uses the 35 Mercedes. To lower the stance i Zed the front and not sure what you call the rear mod but with wheels in back you could Z there also. Keep on keep'n on.

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

Hi slownlow. Thank you for the encouragement words and the infos about the Z'ed ways to rebuild the suspension. I will choice this way to do that. I visit your Romme's Rod page, absolutely beautiful work you did with this one. Appreciate the pictures you send in, very kind of you.

Best regards.

Nice work cutting down that cowl section. The angle of the cut is perfect.In case no one explained the American slang term "digging it",it definitely means he likes it. Glad to see you are enjoying your project.

Thank you Tom. Glad you liked the cutting. I followed your suggestion and this result and a very different visual effect. I'm going in a good way with your expertise.

Appreciate your help to I improve my english with the meaning of the term above. And yes I'm enjoying this project and this is better with your help.

Regards. 

I have been thinking about what I might be tempted to do next if this were on MY work bench.I believe I would shorten the interior bucket to be more in line with that newly redesigned cowl you did so nicely to open up that area just behind the engine.The next thought is just what to do with all that space that is now available just behind the engine.......HMMMMM...lets see..shortening the frame rails would work of course...Or do something really unusual and original and fabricate something unique in that space like some turbo chargers.You could route the engine exhaust to the turbos then to the intake manifold and carbs.Could be a real eye catching set up that would take some work of course but would look very neat.Dare to be different I say!!

Nice work Joca! I'll be keeping an eye on this one. I have a 29 SSK roadster on the shelf and I've never done anything like this either.

Hi MeatMan, thank you for your visit. Maybe the 29 SSK Roadster is your next project, what about? If is possible post a photo of the box, which brand is this model?

I have been thinking about what I might be tempted to do next if this were on MY work bench.I believe I would shorten the interior bucket to be more in line with that newly redesigned cowl you did so nicely to open up that area just behind the engine.The next thought is just what to do with all that space that is now available just behind the engine.......HMMMMM...lets see..shortening the frame rails would work of course...Or do something really unusual and original and fabricate something unique in that space like some turbo chargers.You could route the engine exhaust to the turbos then to the intake manifold and carbs.Could be a real eye catching set up that would take some work of course but would look very neat.Dare to be different I say!!

And so misterNNL you are giving brainstorms to me...LOL. Seems to be a very cool and different idea. The problem is me. At this point of work level I'm affraid don't have skills to do that kind of work...Anyway this is for fun...let me think about it...!!! For now I'm studiyng the cut to shorten the interior bucket you mentioned. Speaking about the engine induction I have thinking to go with side-draft weber carbs or some kind of horizontal Hillborn fuel injections...until now... and for the body I'm in a personal trouble thinking to do or not to do open the doors and trunk and ruined all this project.

On this particular project, I would advise against cutting open the doors. That would put the body in a very fragile state and if broken might cause you to give up on this build.

I feel it would be safe to open the trunk but it will add a level of complexity due to the need of creating the trunk interior space. I'm not trying to discourage you...I'm just pointing out one the realities of opening the trunk, and it's really no harder to resolve than you will have to do with regard to moving the engine bay firewall.

Regarding engine induction, just about any side draft style carb system will look great on this, SU's (Jaguar carbs), Webers, Carters (early Corvette), various injection types...or belt driven superchargers like a Magnacharger style or direct drive like Mercedes or Duesenberg.

Your choice of style may make it easier to choose features of your hot rod.

Period correct would dictate speed (hot rod) parts available at the time the car was produced, Restomod generally means original styling with newer and safer engine, chassis and suspension.

Currently, with the changes already made to the body... you have ventured into the traditional arena of "custom car" rather than just a car that has been "hot rodded" with performance parts.

If you have the time or desire, try doing some drawings or photoshopping of pictures to see how changing the body lines make an unforgettable car, or a car you'd rather forget.  ;)

I hear what you are saying about levels of skill.I have been building models for about 60 years so am fairly comfortable with my current skill level but I see some things on these forums that are truly amazing such as engines made completely from scratch out of metal and know that I will never be able to do that.I am completely OK with that and admire those capable of such things.If you were going to consider those turbos I am sure there are builders on these forums that would more that willing to assist you with that kind of thing.You mentioned opening the truck and doors.Have you ever done that before? Personally I think the trunk easiest but a close look at those door lines tells me there is too little material between the door glass and the roof or the rear door edge for me to attempt that.I see things like that done with great skill but the effort simply is not worth it to me personally.

The main thing to remember here is that you should always build to suit yourself and what ever you decide to do will the right thing to make this project into what you want it to be.Is your native language Spanish?

Hi MeatMan, thank you for your visit. Maybe the 29 SSK Roadster is your next project, what about? If is possible post a photo of the box, which brand is this model?

You're welcome. My 29 is a Lindberg. I bought it open box from Spotlight Hobbies.

2v2uTGc3ixAcPyh.jpg