Model Cars Magazine Forum

Daxman

This just keeps getting better. I love the look of the exposed compartments with hoses and mechanical devices visible. The idea of Including the rear tires as part of the body is brilliant as it grounds the car in it's ancient past when fossil fuels were used and vehicles had inflated rubber devices on each lower corner to cushion the ride.

Absolutely outstanding!  Totally encapsulates the past, present and future of Hot Rods!!

The Flux Capacitor era of automotive age has come alive in an expression of your vast talent and visionary skills.  A true example of manual dexterity and mental engineering.

Very creative sources of amassing the use of collective parts from resources that we are all aware of and should recognize.  Impressive work, Brother Modeler!!  -KK

AWESOME.jpg.d24b192649abe931aadb3b74554aa90e.jpg

It's getting close. The rear engine compartment is done. The fuel tank and flight computer area under the hood is done. The interior is finished - note the 3 blue canisters next to the driver's seat (when 5 jet turbines are just not fast enough......add Nitrous) I added the windows last night. I left the left window in a slight rolled down position.

Things left to do:

Make the hood fit correctly.....Since day one, this has been giving me grief. I should have fixed it day one instead of waiting until it was near completion.

Hoses and wiring under the frame. Loose hydraulic lines and fuel lines that hang low enough to be visible from a side view.

Final exterior accessories. Front turn signals. Side mirrors. I would love to find a decorative hood ornament. If anyone knows a cheap solution, please let me know. I would prefer to not have to buy a whole kit for one small piece. I'm thinking the ornaments that were on the old Cadillacs.

Front flap linkage. This is a problem. In hindsight, I should have done this another way. When I want to remove the hood, I have to disconnect the linkage. Nobody said Dieselpunk was supposed to be practical.....

Final glue.

Final paint on the few items that are bare plastic.

Final weathering. Soot on all surfaces behind the front jet exhaust. It also needs a dullcoat.

Add a sun visor over the world's smallest front windshield.

Make a diorama.......I have 6 months until the Kansas City model show. I think I might be able to accomplish this. I want it to be flying over a wasteland, kicking up dirt as it banks to the right. The front and 2 side rear jets are moveable (slightly). I could position the jets to simulate a sharp banked turn. I have seen some amazing dioramas of rally cars that use a cotton like fabric to fabricate realistic dust clouds. I'm going to look into this when the model is finished.

Again, thank you for all of the positive comments. I showed them to my wife and kids. I appreciate it.

IMG_6123 (2).JPG

IMG_6125 (2).JPG

IMG_6128 (2).JPG

IMG_6136 (2).JPG

IMG_6137 (2).JPG

IMG_6143 (2).JPG

IMG_6083.JPG

Edited by Daxman

Here's the undercarriage. Working on the hoses tonight. IMG_6208.thumb.JPG.88ef024123eb934fe27751bf9a9a3af6.JPG

If I do another jet vehicle, I've been thinking about a JetVette. It looks like it should be flying.   jetvette.jpg.0ac2858e993a9ae15e8af146f4971547.jpg

Or a JetBug. Of the two, it'll most likely be the Volkswagen. I've been wanting to build a bug forever. I can just imagine all the stuff that I can jam into that little engine compartment. jetbug.jpg.c7294f1fd606b691888f49dc8ea98a79.jpg

On 12/21/2017 at 11:48 AM, geetee66 said:

ToTaLLy nUtS! ?

You have tons of creative talent and I'm looking forward to seeing the Bug!

I got a 68 Volkswagen Bug kit for Christmas. I'm excited to start. I love the look of a slammed Bug. If I do a JetBug, I want it to have that lowered stance, but yet have the look of being able to fly.

Over the weekend I added the door handle, a side mirror, and soot. Still a few last items to do. I had two side mirrors at one point about a week ago. Now I only have the left side mirror. Lost into the carpet abyss forever........Now I need to scavenge 2 more side mirrors that fit the look of the car. Or I leave it asymmetrical. Looks kinda cool like that, but I still think it needs 2 mirrors. 

Front turn signals. I've looked through all my extra parts. Can't find anything suitable. I'm going to have to make something.

IMG_6401.thumb.JPG.0df349130d04c5b3e9d9be4088eed7b9.JPGIMG_6403.thumb.JPG.4d337e9854746f7f4ef8d1d4c83627a6.JPGIMG_6409.thumb.JPG.c9273833a35d7d4afc31c4a705355eab.JPGIMG_6425.thumb.JPG.46d534dc9bdc706c4fe8464170023847.JPGIMG_6436.thumb.JPG.e4fe4675f1407a113732ca07b940f2a4.JPG5a431fb443604_IMG_6361(2).thumb.JPG.843aeb4862e1707f7e7047ed702a2726.JPG5a431fb6a37e7_IMG_6376(2).thumb.JPG.a1cbb20232f8d6e8846db432ae3daaac.JPG

I hope to have it finished soon. Thanks again for all the positive comments.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...